KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why did TCW nerf its characters?

Why did TCW nerf its characters?
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Why did TCW nerf its characters?

The Clone wars in the EU community occasionally gets mentioned for inconsistent depictions of skill of its characters. From Grievous getting beaten by gungans, Anakin getting beaten up by Clovis, or generally just lousy depictions of force sensitives- why is it that their abilities don't match with the EU? To get more into the Battle forum aspect of things, do you think the Canon members would be able to hold their own against a vast majority of their EU counterparts? If we take Canon levels of skill/power into consideration for Vs debates/threads, how do you think they'd last in an actual duel?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 02:33 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

i think eu makes too powerful esp sidious and luke.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 02:34 AM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

TCW cared more about the story than power levels and OP characters are not good for the story.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 02:39 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Neither does the original EU showcase good power level scaling, IMO. Like, Vader got owned by a lot of silly stuff in the EU. Once he was taken down by fodder with mere flamethrowers.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 02:48 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Why did TCW nerf its characters?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
The Clone wars in the EU community occasionally gets mentioned for inconsistent depictions of skill of its characters. From Grievous getting beaten by gungans, Anakin getting beaten up by Clovis, or generally just lousy depictions of force sensitives- why is it that their abilities don't match with the EU? To get more into the Battle forum aspect of things, do you think the Canon members would be able to hold their own against a vast majority of their EU counterparts? If we take Canon levels of skill/power into consideration for Vs debates/threads, how do you think they'd last in an actual duel?

A whole large part of it is the EU often did not stick to the movies.

Fitting with the movies is more important consistency-wise than sticking to the EU- which is not consistent with each other even, where sometimes force sorcery rules all, sometimes Jedi are mini-flashes of unseeable speed, etc..

Personally, I like the stuff that sticks closer to the movie level. It's impressive without being over the top.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 03:28 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Sinious
TCW cared more about the story than power levels and OP characters are not good for the story.

Basically this, and I honestly prefer it. Don't really care for the demi-gods portrayed in the EU at times.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 03:29 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

I prefer the Movie power levels myself.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 03:32 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Re: Why did TCW nerf its characters?

From Grievous getting beaten by gungans,

As Filoni points out in the commentary, Gungans are 2-meter tall amphibians with enormous strength. They're not all like Jar-Jar and probably exceptionally formidable in melee combat. And Grievous still cleaned house. The only reason he lost is because of hubris and Tarpal's sacrifice.

Anakin getting beaten up by Clovis, or generally just lousy depictions of force sensitives-

Anakin was clearly looking for an ugly brawl, kinda like Luke was in Inferno against Caedus. If he wanted to straight-up merc him, he could have Force pulled him into his lightsaber or something.

Anyway, to answer your overall question, TCW is trying to align itself more with the movies for the sake of consistency. But if you watch TCW, around season 3 the characters generally see a pretty substantial upgrade in terms of abilities. In season 1, Dooku is held hostage by pirates but in season 3, Savage Opress TKs a similar number of battle droids {including droidekas!} after fighting off Anakin and Obi-Wan at the same time.

Ultimately, even with the canon/Legends split, there's no real consistent portrayal of the Force. You need only look at LOTS and the Vader comics.

George's halfhearted explanations notwithstanding, it's pretty obvious that the OT looks so underwhelming because of limitations in CGI, stunt technology & choreography, and budget. In the PT, you saw a substantial upgrade. TCW improves upon that and new canon installments like LOTS raise the bar even further.

tl;dr: George and co. not making their minds up if they want to align with the OT or go bigger and badder with new technology.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 10:53 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Originally posted by The Merchant
I prefer the Movie power levels myself.

Me too at first but after watching CW and TWC.... CW and T WC
I begin to prefer CW....

Old Post Sep 25th, 2015 07:55 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote