KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What is the largest battle in the entire star wars universe?

What is the largest battle in the entire star wars universe?
Started by: Darth Demenos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Demenos

What is the largest battle in the entire star wars universe?

what is the largest full scale land, air, sea etc.... battle to take place?

the largest i can think of is the battle of coruscant during the clone wars where each side had like literally 1000 ships on both sides fighting each other.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 05:15 AM
Click here to Send Darth Demenos a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Demenos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I think the Battle of Coruscant in the Vong War may be it. Or rather, one of the two battles, either the 'Fall of Coruscant' or 'Battle of Yuuzhan'tar/Recapture of Coruscant.' The first had tens of thousands of ships involved. The second had everyone both sides could spare (plus Zonama Sekot!) with reinforcements streaming in throughout, but after battles like the first one that may have been less than the Fall, so the Fall probably wins.

Really, a lot of the big battles in SW history are all probably various 'battles of Coruscant,' as anyone trying to take it has got to have a huge force, and the defenders a similarly big one smile

Certainly the two Vong ones plus the Clone Wars one make the three biggest I know of. The Legacy: War Battle of Coruscant was of unknown size but presumably pretty sizable, less than those three though as there was a lot less buildup first.

Another that's almost certainly in the top 10 is the Battle of Uquine, which ended the Pius Dea crusades.

The Great War (ToR) is huge, but it also had a very wide front so I'm not sure what it's biggest battle is.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:09 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I can't imagine any of the Clone Wars battles being notably large, considering the Clones were retardedly only a few million strong by the height of the war.

Considering the scale of the setting, I wouldn't consider anything less than a hundred million combatants in a single battle (not war) to be large.

That shit with 10,000 ships sounds dope though.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:22 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

This is a setting where the Republic hardly ever actually has a standing army. Them even having a hundred million combatants let alone willing to risk most of them is unlikely, to say the least.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:26 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Here's a thought, Endor is pretty big.

Sure, 'only' hundreds of ships, but think about how much the Death Star 2 counts for.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I can't imagine any of the Clone Wars battles being notably large, considering the Clones were retardedly only a few million strong by the height of the war.

Yea, I generally ignore that.

Heck, think about it, there's over a thousand Venators at the Battle of Coruscant. They have a crew of 7,400 each, plus 2,000 troops.

Or to put it another way, you've got millions of people just in the Venators of one side of that battle alone- and Venators weren't all they had, nor were.

quote:
Considering the scale of the setting, I wouldn't consider anything less than a hundred million combatants in a single battle (not war) to be large.

Unfortunately, SW never really takes that level of scale into account.

The Vong battles of Coruscant do have millions of casualties, but most of those are civilians.

quote:
That shit with 10,000 ships sounds dope though. [/B]

Yep-yep smile

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:38 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
This is a setting where the Republic hardly ever actually has a standing army. Them even having a hundred million combatants let alone willing to risk most of them is unlikely, to say the least.
The Republic had around 100 quadrillion members in its populace. An army of 100 million would be to them what a law enforcement station consisting of a sherrif and two deputes would be to modern America.

Star Wars just hates scale for some reason. It's something that always bugged me tbh.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 06:55 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

The CIS had a quintillion battle droids, so Clones being a few million makes no sense sexually.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 07:11 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vixas

Originally posted by The Merchant
The CIS had a quintillion battle droids, so Clones being a few million makes no sense sexually.

Most likely because none of those millions of clones were into machines in that way tbh. I thought this was common knowledge?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 08:20 AM
Click here to Send Vixas a Private Message Find more posts by Vixas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Pretty much retconned.

Naval wise, probably the Clone Wars Battle of Coruscant.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Hum battle of coruscant CSI, méga epic, Malachor V Mega bloody.
Endor mass scale...
That's for space..
For sea.. certainly on Mon calmari.
On Land :
No Idea. Mandalorian war? Clone war? Great Galactic war?

If big biggest you mean bloodiest the most epic, or the most large scale, there is a shit ton of possibilities, and meaning to the sens big...

Anyway the biggest military campaign was lead by Revan, because the empire already control all the woreworld + a lot of spearatist states at his birth....

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 11:34 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Lolno. The Mandalorian War is not the biggest War to face the Republic, and Revan didn't descend from the heavens to face it.
The Republic had around 100 quadrillion members in its populace. An army of 100 million would be to them what a law enforcement station consisting of a sherrif and two deputes would be to modern America.

Star Wars just hates scale for some reason. It's something that always bugged me tbh.

Like I said. No standing army. You may think it's easy to set up, and I'm not disagreeing, but they never do.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2015 01:34 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Possible for biggest land battle: the Siege of Saleucami

During the Clone Wars, the Jedi and Republic troops bottled up and faced a CIS clone army for six months.

There may be worse days of battle, but that's just an unending meatgrinder.

Hm... and again, Coruscant. Likely the first Vong one.

There was also a pretty bad period, seen in Dark Empire, where the Rebels lost Coruscant and the warlords fought over it back and forth for awhile. Lots of different factions sending in forces may make for fairly long-lasting and large battle.

---

On scale, the Droid numbers are really way too high, as the fleets aren't big enough to deploy that many, just as the clone numbers are too low.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 05:41 AM
Revanchiste

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Lolno. The Mandalorian War is not the biggest War to face the Republic, and Revan didn't descend from the heavens to face it.

Like I said. No standing army. You may think it's easy to set up, and I'm not disagreeing, but they never do.

Star wars is about mass scale, but Warhammer fans do not have teh same definition of scaling...

Old Post Oct 19th, 2015 11:15 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

You've gone and made no sense again.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2015 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Nah ICS states that millions of capital ships were tied up in the Outer Rim sieges and as a result Grievous was only able to muster a few thousand frigates and destroyers, and a few dozen battleships to assault Coruscant. Even if you go by the Venators can take 4-6 that'd still put Republic ships at around 500,000+ warships. + With the Republic fielding vessels like the Mandator (that can engage up to 1,000 warships at once), I'd wager the Battle of Coruscant was the largest we've ever seen. Although I'd imagine there were probably also larger battles during the Clone Wars.

The Clone Wars (not sure on the source but its on the Star War wiki) pitted the largest armies in galactic history against each other.

The North Remembers

Old Post Oct 20th, 2015 03:16 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Battle of Rakata Prime and Battle of Malachor V are 'among' the largest battles to take place in the Old Republic era.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2015 03:31 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote