KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » how do different cultures communicate so easily

How do aliens communicate so easily
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Force Translation 0 0%
Technology 0 0%
Blind Spot in Writing Staff 0 0%
Other (Provide Below) 2 100.00%
Total: 2 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

how do different cultures communicate so easily
Started by: DarkTransfer69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarkTransfer69

how do different cultures communicate so easily

What I never understood within SW is that when two random cultures meet each other (Anakin/Kenobi and Dathomir in TCW as an example), they instantly understand each other speaking the same language (which for us is English), even though they are from totally different cultures. How do they know the same language intrinsically? Does the Force provide translation?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:19 PM
Click here to Send DarkTransfer69 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkTransfer69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Protocol droids, translators, symbolism, they don't want to make Clone Wars episodes to long and confusing for younger audiences...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:23 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Don't they have auto translators for known languages?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:26 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That and most cultures in the galaxy can speak 'basic'(ie. English.)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:30 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkTransfer69

my theory would fall under "Other" and my justification for it is given below:

I believe as a part of galactic basic education all peoples are taught in becoming fluent in every single known language, becoming part of a common tongue. So in this way, all people speak in their native tongue, but also understand other tongues easily and just communicate thanks to a mutual understanding. For the more humanoid races, all of these sophisticated dialects will sound like English, but I bet Dathomir has all kinds of words and phrases unique to their people which Anakin for example might understand but not use himself.

The problem becomes when those people who are not well adjusted and assimilated to the galactic community, such as sand people (see AotC), they are interpreted as just making loud noises. Although not impossible to understand them (as seen when A'Sharad Hett effortlessly becomes their leader), they are speaking more with a pygmy language than a fully fledged dialect. Same with Hutts, although thats why they get subtitles, because their pygmy is accepted by the galactic community and efforts have been made to understand it and use.

The question becomes of course, how do people become fluent in billions of languages. My answer to this is that because these people have lived for millions, billions of years in a highly technologically advanced society, their brains are simply extremely powerful compared to what we might expect in the normal world. Their IQ and memory storage so to speak is just in another tier altogether from normal human beings, and when you add in that they learn these languages as children - the easiest time to become fluent in a language and much easier than as an adult when your brain is developed and "locked" so to speak - it all begins to make sense.

If anyone has any comments or counter arguments to these points made I would be enthusiastic to address them.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:31 PM
Click here to Send DarkTransfer69 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkTransfer69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote