KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Was Luke's projection in TLJ solid?

Was Luke's projection in TLJ solid?
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Was Luke's projection in TLJ solid?

When he wanted it to be, could the projection Luke sent to Crait become solid? I only ask because when he touched Leia's hand and gave her the dice, he appeared to be solid. But when he let Kylo flay him with the saber, he was obviously not solid any longer.

Also, the dice Luke gave Leia didn't disappear until a few minutes AFTER he died. How is that possible?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 03:50 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Because the movie has no logic.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 04:00 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I mean, Luke's robe(and hair) were literally flapping in the wind during his entire 'fight' with Kylo:

(please log in to view the image)

So the projection must've had at least *some* sort of [partially] solid composition to it. /shrug

As for why Luke's dice construct outlived Luke himself: I have no idea. Perhaps after Luke died, he chose to troll Kylo one last time by sustaining the dice from beyond the grave long enough for Kylo to see/hold them..?

Dunno. The movie sucks.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 04:08 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834

Exactly.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that Leia couldn't feel Luke and knew it was fake? Maybe in the novel.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 05:44 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gold slorg
Restricted

Account Restricted

NIE SPAĆ
ZWIEDZAĆ
ZAPIERDALAĆ

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 05:46 PM
Click here to Send gold slorg a Private Message Find more posts by gold slorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by TheNuisanceBird
Exactly.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that Leia couldn't feel Luke and knew it was fake? Maybe in the novel.
Yeah, Leia knew it was a projection in the novel the moment he/it touched her.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 06:27 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ And yet she didnt push for the escape ASAP, knowing very well Luke was just a distraction?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 06:32 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ares834

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 06:34 PM
Valpoorion

Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ And yet she didnt push for the escape ASAP, knowing very well Luke was just a distraction?

Leia wasn't aware there was a way of escaping. If Luke was a projection, then obviously he wouldn't have needed an entrance to the base. Besides, she had clearly lost all hope.

To answer the question, yes, the illusion had some form of solidity. It kisses Leia and she is able to touch the dice. Both "Luke" and the dice vanish, and Kylo's saber just goes through Luke as if he weren't there, but the illusion can be somewhat solid. It's a bit confusing tbh.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 06:37 PM
Find more posts by Valpoorion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Valpoorion
Leia wasn't aware there was a way of escaping. If Luke was a projection, then obviously he wouldn't have needed an entrance to the base. Besides, she had clearly lost all hope.

So what did she think Lukes projection was there for?

Po without knowing he was a projection worked out he was distracting the FO for the Resistance to escape. And yet Leia knowing full well Luke was a projection didnt think what his reason for being there was?

Sure.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 06:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Valpoorion

Originally posted by Darth Thor
So what did she think Lukes projection was there for?

Po without knowing he was a projection worked out he was distracting the FO for the Resistance to escape. And yet Leia knowing full well Luke was a projection didnt think what his reason for being there was?

Sure.

Ehh, maybe to say goodbye or something? Because even if Luke didn't die, it was nearly certain for her to die.

Or maybe she was too demoralized to figure anything out.

Or maybe Rian Johnson just overlooked that detail, which isn't implausible.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:02 PM
Find more posts by Valpoorion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

What if Luke had intercourse and solidified his wiener and semen? Could he theoretically impregnate someone and then drop the projection once they get pregnant?
Would that abort the baby or would the mix have already taken shape?

Did the book cover that perchance?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:05 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoHateSpeech
Restricted

Account Restricted

the real question is why don't we care that luke kissed leia without her consent?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:28 PM
Click here to Send NoHateSpeech a Private Message Find more posts by NoHateSpeech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Originally posted by NoHateSpeech
the real question is why don't we care that luke kissed leia without her consent?

Oh no...

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:29 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Yeah it appears to be solid. It flaps in the wind, as noted. It kicks up dirt and casts a shadow. Kylo and Leia were both capable of holding Luke's illusion of Han's dice, and even droids and the targeting systems of the walkers could detect him.

That means that not only was he visible but he was visible on multiple spectrums. It is actually pretty much the greatest illusion feat in the setting, that I can think of.

Naga Sadow's illusions in ToTJ weren't solid, were they?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:42 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Luke's illusion/projection feat in DE #5 is comparable, though the TLJ feat was obviously done from a vastly greater distance.

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 8th, 2018 at 07:53 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 07:48 PM
Zenwolf

It's pretty much the Doppleganger technique.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2018 08:45 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

It's an after-image. A speed mirage, if you will.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Nov 9th, 2018 06:31 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Why do you have to come along and say nonsensical garbage?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2018 02:39 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

If you knew what I am talking about, you'd keep your keyboard in the pantry.

I was referencing Wellsobard's Speed Mirages on The Flash TV show where he could beat himself up. Basically: Speed Force. I am not gonna explain shit. So it was with this particular scene in the Star Wars movie with Luke.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Nov 10th, 2018 11:24 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote