KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why couldn't Maul use force lightning?

Why couldn't Maul use force lightning?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Why couldn't Maul use force lightning?

Guy had decades of Sith training, and was exceptionally powerful. Was it ever explained why he couldn't use force lightning?

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 01:14 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

yeah thats a great question: most reckon he was more an assassin and liked to saber duel close up more then use his powers and abilities etc but not sure how true that is... Saw a youtube vid that stated that.

The phantom menace game showed him use some lightening : but not sure if that was canon...

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 01:29 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I remember reading Sith Lightning was an advanced ability.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 01:39 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Maul is confirmed to know Force lightning in several sources. According to Star Wars Insider, he just doesn't use it because his fighting style is more fast-paced and up-close.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 03:58 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Is that legends or canon? Or both?

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 12:48 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Legends for sure. Here's one of the more popular sources referencing it:
https://i.imgur.com/TuCLxkA.jpg
-Clone Wars Magazine #13 (2012)

I can't think of any canon sources off-hand that reference Maul being able to use FL... Maybe Ant knows of one, though.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 17th, 2020 at 02:02 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 01:56 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I'd like to think that he knows how but being he hasn't used it I'm going to say he cannot use it for now.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 09:38 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007

I can't think of any canon sources off-hand that reference Maul being able to use FL... Maybe Ant knows of one, though.

Awesome, sorry I wasn’t so sure but heard roughly was Maul immune to lightening : but not to darth sidious one ?

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 09:59 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

@Ozz.

I wouldn't say immune, but he can power through it. Of course the only instance I recall is his fight with Mighella, who was to be fair a powerful Nightsister, so that's something.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

He was just a well-trained thug with a lightsaber
He didn't have any real depth in terms of force knowledge and would be stomped by Vader or Dooku with their force abilities

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 10:07 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Galan007

Has he ever used it?

Choke/grip, sure, I remember.

But FL? The closest I can think of would be the red lightning coming from his saber in the Phantom Menace game, but that was retarded, non-canon and not the legit FL.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 11:27 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

He's never actually used FL outside of the games to my knowledge.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 11:48 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by ozz81
Awesome, sorry I wasn’t so sure but heard roughly was Maul immune to lightening : but not to darth sidious one ?
I wouldn't say he's immune he seemed to feel Dooku's FL.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2020 11:56 PM
ozz81

Originally posted by juggernaut74
I wouldn't say he's immune he seemed to feel Dooku's FL.

True or perhaps he was weakened then from sidiouses powerful FL.
Remember Dooku used it on savage it didn’t hurt him that much .. ie when he was training him ..

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 12:51 AM
The Merchant

In Legends he could use it as said in that Insider and in TPM game he used Red Force Lightning. A toy of him using standard Blue Lightning was made of him as well which is confirmed a Legends canon event. Don't think canon has him have that ability.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 01:37 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CriticalShaft
Disagree - you're wrong

Sidious didn't want him to learn any advanced force abilities

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 07:45 AM
Click here to Send CriticalShaft a Private Message Find more posts by CriticalShaft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Originally posted by CriticalShaft

Cool Does it State that In canon? I guess so that he doesn’t surpass him in power ?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 09:41 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by CriticalShaft
Dooku apparently learned how to do it himself so not sure why Maul couldn't figure it out.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 11:05 PM