KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » ROTJ Vader's power?

ROTJ Vader's power?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

ROTJ Vader's power?

I've seen some people argue that he was conflicted (and therefore weaker) in this period, and I've seen some people say that this was his peak.

Which assertion makes the most sense to you? Asking mostly about canon Vader.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 06:15 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Canon Vader comics have a scene with kenobi where he seems to imply he gets more powerful with "each step further away from you" after he kills him on the death star. I'm 99% sure the pablo hidalgo quote specifically is saying that was vader's prime, up until that point.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

That he was conflicted.

"Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you...the conflict."

"I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate."

And, of course, there is the fact that he did turn.

Old Post May 29th, 2020 07:40 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't think there is anything in canon stating that Vader was "weaker" in RotJ. Granted, there was underlying conflict/good in him(which both Luke and Palpatine sensed), but I don't know that the "flickering light"(as Palpatine described it) within Vader would have gimped his power or whathaveyou.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 29th, 2020 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

So you think ROTJ was his peak or??

Old Post May 29th, 2020 09:09 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

I think ROTJ was Vaders peak. No reason to believe Vaders powers just stopped growing, and being "conflicted" against Luke doesnt necessarily mean his power declined IMO.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 12:48 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Being conflicted would hinder him for sure. Just look at Mustafa Anakin getting slices up by Obi-Wan.

Plus its pretty well established that focus and mental clarity has a big impact on force connections.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Yep. That's my thought on it as well.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 12:57 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Being conflicted would hinder him for sure. Just look at Mustafa Anakin getting slices up by Obi-Wan.

Plus its pretty well established that focus and mental clarity has a big impact on force connections.
Was it stated or implied that he was hindered in ROTJ?

Old Post May 30th, 2020 01:03 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

At best Vader is equal to his rebels self since Hildago seems to think Rebels is Prime Vader. It's up for debate if he's weaker in ROTJ though.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 30th, 2020 01:43 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Sheev
Was it stated or implied that he was hindered in ROTJ?

Did you read Darth's post? Yes, it heavily implied. A force users abilities rely heavily on their state of mind. And if they are conflicted they tend not to fight nearly as well as they normally could.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 01:46 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
So you think ROTJ was his peak or??

As ares and DT mentioned: inner conflict can have a heavy impact on a character's overall power. So it really just depends if the conflict Vader was experiencing during RotJ was enough to hinder his abilities in such a way.

I will say that said conflict must have been buried pretty deep, as Vader was still willing to bring Luke before Palpatine, then defend Palpatine from Luke's strike, then go on to try and coax Luke towards the dark side -- even Jedi vs. Sith states that Vader was initially trying to turn Luke towards the dark side. It wasn't until Luke was dying right in front of him that Vader finally embraced the underlying good in himself. Prior to that, it didn't seem like Vader was at all prepared to walk away from the dark side/Palpatine.

Maybe the new comic series(which is set between ESB and RotJ) will shed some more light on that aspect of Vader's character.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 11:04 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

Vader was indeed conflicted as made clear by Starwars.com and evident from the movie.
quote:
Vader and the Emperor waited for Luke to come to them, which he did; the young Jedi believed there was still good in his father, and tried to turn him back to the light side. Vader was conflicted, but still brought Luke before the Dark Lord.

quote:
During their duel on the second Death Star, Luke feels the good in Vader and attempts to draw him back from the dark side by lowering his defenses.

This means there were cracks in Vader's surface of dark side emotions through which Luke was able to sense the good in Vader. Compassion for his son was weakening his hatred (eventually overcoming it later in the movie). Even though Vader was still using the dark side to fight, it's possible he couldn't do it in full capacity. How much was this affecting Vader's abilities is hard to quantifie though.

Last edited by Darthadi on May 30th, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2020 11:45 AM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

IIRC the Disney Novels for ROTJ tell us that he was contempletating killing Luke, and had hatrid for him, I think due to jealousy but I can't remember.

But abilities wise, I'm sure he'd be fine as long as Luke isn't talking. So imo ROTJ is still peak Vader until Luke tells him to let go of his hate.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 03:51 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Pretty sure thats the original novel. But none of that means he wasnt conflicted though-out the film. Palpatine even suspects as much.

And look at all the evil shit Anakin did in ROTS, yet clearly he had emotional conflict on Mustafa.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 03:56 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

I'm 70% sure it's from Beware of the Dark Side. But yes I never said he wasn't conflicted, just that I don't think it hinders him unless it gets brought to the surface like when Luke talks to him before they go to meet the Emperor.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 07:39 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Sure it might have always been there to a small extent. Thats why Vader says - You were right about me - and Luke first senses that good in him in ESB, but it clearly wasnt effecting him too much yet.

Old Post May 30th, 2020 08:48 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Scizard
But yes I never said he wasn't conflicted, just that I don't think it hinders him unless it gets brought to the surface like when Luke talks to him before they go to meet the Emperor.
Kind of what I think as well.

Granted the underlying conflict/good was still there, but without Luke in the picture to coax it out of Vader, it don't think it would have been much of a hindrance to his overall abilities.

Make no mistake, Vader was still evil in that era.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 31st, 2020 at 12:14 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2020 11:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Stuff like this makes me wonder if, when Vader stops Luke from striking down the emperor, he wasn't just doing it to protect his master. That a small part of him, maybe, was protecting Luke from going down the same path he had.

Did it make him weaker, though? not at all.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 31st, 2020 03:28 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I mean Vader brought Luke to the Emperor so obviously he would stop Luke striking him down.

But what also became clear is he wasnt going to be fine with the Emperor killing Luke either.

Hence the conflict.

Old Post May 31st, 2020 06:20 AM