KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??

Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??

Do you guys think Kenobi was able to beat Maul so easily because he was just that much better, thanks to his greater connection to the Force and him protecting Luke.

Or do you think it had more to do with Maul trying to use the same killing strike on Kenobi that he used on Qui-gon, and Kenobi was just prepared to counter it?

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 11:49 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

The latter.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 11:57 AM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah The latter.

Was supposed to display the mindset of both combatants.

Also note Filoni wanted it to be a very brief fight but S7 Maul vs Ashoka to be an extended fight, despite outright stating Maul is clearly her superior.

Also given Rebels Maul looked fairly on par with Rebels Ahsoka, how much difference could there realistically be between him and Ben Kenobi?

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 12:27 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 12:38 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kenobi and Maul's final duel wasn't a traditional lightsaber duel, it was a psychological battle. It's almost like Kenobi had some psychological advantage over Maul that's akin to the psychological advantage he had over Anakin. Kenobi will always have Maul and Anakin's number, he knows them too well.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 01:38 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
Kenobi and Maul's final duel wasn't a traditional lightsaber duel, it was a psychological battle. It's almost like Kenobi had some psychological advantage over Maul that's akin to the psychological advantage he had over Anakin. Kenobi will always have Maul and Anakin's number, he knows them too well.

An astute observation.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 01:44 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Re: Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Do you guys think Kenobi was able to beat Maul so easily because he was just that much better, thanks to his greater connection to the Force and him protecting Luke.

Or do you think it had more to do with Maul trying to use the same killing strike on Kenobi that he used on Qui-gon, and Kenobi was just prepared to counter it?

Filoni literally stated "maul can't beat kenobi". They may be circumstances for the shortness of the fight. That kenobi is superioir is pretty indisputable though.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 04:37 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Eli Vanto

Kenobi's just better.

Maul shouldn't have mentioned Luke though. It was at that point that he really ****ed up.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 04:39 PM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by -Pr-
Maul shouldn't have mentioned Luke though. It was at that point that he really ****ed up.

True say.

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Filoni literally stated "maul can't beat kenobi". They may be circumstances for the shortness of the fight. That kenobi is superioir is pretty indisputable though.

The question is how/why hes superior though. And everything Filoni states indicates their frame of mind at this point. Saber skills or power in the Force are never mentioned as a factor for Ben being superior, except for when (as Pr mentioned), it came to protecting Luke which gave Ben that extra dose of invincibility.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 2nd, 2020 at 04:55 PM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 04:50 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think up until that point, Kenobi would have let Maul walk if he'd changed his mind. But then Maul says what he says, and Obi-Wan realises that Maul has to die. IMO it's why he only ignites his lightsaber at that point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 04:53 PM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think up until that point, Kenobi would have let Maul walk if he'd changed his mind. But then Maul says what he says, and Obi-Wan realises that Maul has to die. IMO it's why he only ignites his lightsaber at that point.

It is yeah, but it also gives Kenobi that mind set that he HAS TO win this fight no matter what.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 04:57 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It is yeah, but it also gives Kenobi that mind set that he HAS TO win this fight no matter what.

Yup.

And it's unfortunate for Maul that he's going up against Kenobi in one of his most powerful forms.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 06:19 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

It was made very clear, yes.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 06:33 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unbowed

People get too caught up in "training" and "skill" and treat the Force as if it's something mechanical, a mana pool that allows you to move big rocks. But the Force is spiritual, it's metaphysical. I guess you can say it was "mindset" but that word doesn't quite capture it either, it's more appropriate for a tennis match or a cooking competition.

Kenobi won because he was at his strongest, Maul lost because he was at his weakest. Spiritually.

Kenobi at that point reached a moment of "oneness", a clarity and an unshakable sense of purpose to protect the child who he knew was the hope for a better galaxy. That's a Jedi at his finest. There was no way he could lose in that moment, not against anyone.

Maul at that point was half-mad and waiting to be put out of his misery. For the whole episode he was wandering through the desert mindlessly muttering to himself and having hallucinations. By that point he had spent decades wallowing in hatred, despair, self-pity and grief. He probably wanted to die.

In my opinion, at that point it's useless to compare them in terms of "saber skill" and "TK feats". It's as simple as this: Kenobi won because he was a winner, Maul lost because he was a loser.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 07:05 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212

Astute observation. thumb up

You have grown powerful in the ways of the psychology, the scholar I sense in you...

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 07:38 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Kenobis always mowing down my favourite characters. Like literally cuts them into pieces.

Such a f***er

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 07:41 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Unbowed
People get too caught up in "training" and "skill" and treat the Force as if it's something mechanical, a mana pool that allows you to move big rocks. But the Force is spiritual, it's metaphysical. I guess you can say it was "mindset" but that word doesn't quite capture it either, it's more appropriate for a tennis match or a cooking competition.

Kenobi won because he was at his strongest, Maul lost because he was at his weakest. Spiritually.

Kenobi at that point reached a moment of "oneness", a clarity and an unshakable sense of purpose to protect the child who he knew was the hope for a better galaxy. That's a Jedi at his finest. There was no way he could lose in that moment, not against anyone.

Maul at that point was half-mad and waiting to be put out of his misery. For the whole episode he was wandering through the desert mindlessly muttering to himself and having hallucinations. By that point he had spent decades wallowing in hatred, despair, self-pity and grief. He probably wanted to die.

In my opinion, at that point it's useless to compare them in terms of "saber skill" and "TK feats". It's as simple as this: Kenobi won because he was a winner, Maul lost because he was a loser.

That is deep and rich....

Many are focused on evaluating FEATS in isolation instead of looking at developments in a deeper context like that. This is the impact of too much focus on versus topics instead of understanding characters on a deeper level.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 07:51 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

That fight personifies the extent to which mental clarity and emotional solidarity can impact a battle.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2020 07:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Kenobi's just better.

Wasn't it confirmed that Maul improved as of Rebels?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2020 01:10 AM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Wasn't it confirmed that Maul improved as of Rebels?

Not that I know of.

Matt Martin claims that if anything he was older and out of practice.

Although as Galan points out his Force powers should only increase over time going by Leias quote in TROS.

Regardless I agree with points brought up in this thread, that if Maul is weaker its more likely due to his broken mind than being out of practice.

Wheras Ben Kenobis pristine clarity of his mission in life and lessons learned from the failure of the Jedi (look what I have risen above!), likely puts his connection to the force at its peak, despite the fact that he probably isnt using his Lightsaber very often.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2020 11:09 AM