KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Concerning Anakin's Force Ghost

Concerning Anakin's Force Ghost
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Concerning Anakin's Force Ghost

Is there a legitimate canon (or even Legends) explanation as to why GL decided to switch out the appearance of Anakin's Force Ghost at the end of ROTJ from this:
(please log in to view the image)
(The man he died as, who Luke had actually seen)

To this:
(please log in to view the image)
(The man he was decades earlier, who Luke had never seen)

??

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 02:37 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

Luke never saw Anakin looking like that (healthy Sebastian Shaw). He only saw burned Anakin.
In fact, Anakin never looked like that in his entire life. Anakin actually looked like Hayden at some point in his life so it makes more sense lore wise.
The other option would have been to have force ghost Anakin look like he did before he died (burned and deformed), but that would have looked terrible IMO.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 03:00 PM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

He was "healed" as a force ghost, but still clearly the same man that Luke held in his arms until he passed. Talking about the Sebastian version.

From a visual standpoint, Luke would have had no clue who tf the Hayden version even was. Just some kid he had never seen.

I don't understand the change.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 03:05 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
qwertyuiop1998
The Vampire

I would say this is probably some nostalgia fan-service, considering the generation at that time most likely saw the prequels first.

And this actually works well. In my case at least.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 03:50 PM
Click here to Send qwertyuiop1998 a Private Message Find more posts by qwertyuiop1998 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I was never a fan of this unnecessary change, but the obvious 'fan service' aside, I think Lucas was going for more of a meta route with it.

Kenobi: "Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker, and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed."

And several other sources also paint the picture that "Anakin" and "Vader" were, in essence, two completely separate characters.

So even though the older/Sebastian iteration of Anakin had been fully redeemed upon his death, GL opted to have him appear as the man he was before his fall to the dark side. Before he was "destroyed" by the Vader persona.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 26th, 2022 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 03:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Right. I'm just saying that old man Anakin had been completely redeemed after his sacrifice in ROTJ. He was good again. He was a Jedi again. That's also the last version of him that Luke saw, so why de-age him by decades into a version that Luke was unfamiliar with?

Just like how Kenobi only appeared as an old man, and Yoda only appeared in his decrepit ROTJ form.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 06:59 PM
Underachiever59

One possible reason I can think of is that a Force ghost can choose how they appear. I mean, there's not exactly hard rules about how someone who exists in the Force presents themselves. If I'm not mistaken, Luke appears as a younger version of himself to Cade Skywalker instead of showing up as an old man as well.

Anakin probably chose to manifest himself how he last remembered himself as "Anakin." The redeemed Vader never really saw himself, with his ruined body in the suit, as "Anakin," and he never got to see what a fully healed version of his older body would look like. To Vader, whenever he thought of Anakin, he would have been remembering how he looked in RotS. So that's probably how he chose to manifest.

Luke was going to be unfamiliar with Anakin's appearance either way. Sebastian Shaw looks radically different with and without the scarred Vader make-up. Borderline unrecognizable. So as long as he was showing up in a healed body anyway, it might as well be as the more recognizable version of Anakin, both for fans and for Anakin himself.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 08:03 PM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I was never a fan of this unnecessary change, but

But you will be if you think of Force ghosts working in a similar manner as Galactus.

Some see Shaw, some see Hayden... shifty

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 01:42 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

The explanation for all changes to the OT post theatrical release is the same. Lucas is a hack.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 04:40 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Underachiever59
One possible reason I can think of is that a Force ghost can choose how they appear. I mean, there's not exactly hard rules about how someone who exists in the Force presents themselves. If I'm not mistaken, Luke appears as a younger version of himself to Cade Skywalker instead of showing up as an old man as well.

Anakin probably chose to manifest himself how he last remembered himself as "Anakin." The redeemed Vader never really saw himself, with his ruined body in the suit, as "Anakin," and he never got to see what a fully healed version of his older body would look like. To Vader, whenever he thought of Anakin, he would have been remembering how he looked in RotS. So that's probably how he chose to manifest.

Luke was going to be unfamiliar with Anakin's appearance either way. Sebastian Shaw looks radically different with and without the scarred Vader make-up. Borderline unrecognizable. So as long as he was showing up in a healed body anyway, it might as well be as the more recognizable version of Anakin, both for fans and for Anakin himself.
So even though he was completely redeemed and back to Jedi status at the end of ROTJ, you think he'd revert back to his Anakin form?

If that's the case then why wouldn't Yoda have reverted back to his TPM or High Republic look? To before he completely failed the Order?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 11:14 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Underachiever59
That would makes sense as well.

Taking a page from The Matrix, it could just be more of a "residual self-image" sort of thing. Anakin appeared in his younger incarnation, because that is how he always remembered himself as a Jedi.

Originally posted by Sheev
If that's the case then why wouldn't Yoda have reverted back to his TPM or High Republic look? To before he completely failed the Order?
Because Yoda didn't have two completely distinct/separate personas?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 11:49 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Tzeentch
The explanation for all changes to the OT post theatrical release is the same. Lucas is a hack.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bedabing
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by qwertyuiop1998
I would say this is probably some nostalgia fan-service, considering the generation at that time most likely saw the prequels first.

And this actually works well. In my case at least.
Originally posted by Sheev
He was "healed" as a force ghost, but still clearly the same man that Luke held in his arms until he passed. Talking about the Sebastian version.

From a visual standpoint, Luke would have had no clue who tf the Hayden version even was. Just some kid he had never seen.

I don't understand the change.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2022 07:53 PM
Click here to Send Bedabing a Private Message Find more posts by Bedabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote