KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Nick Gilliard: "Palpatine could have creamed [Windu] every time"

Nick Gilliard: "Palpatine could have creamed [Windu] every time"
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

Anyone see this interview? At 22:55 Gilliard says that Palpatine threw the fight and that he could have creamed Mace:
https://youtu.be/WPcAJcvITqc

Old Post Mar 15th, 2022 01:49 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Why does this site never save the thread title?
Should be: “Nick Gilliard: ‘Palpatine could have creamed [Windu] every time’”

Old Post Mar 15th, 2022 01:50 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Nice

Good find Prime

Old Post Mar 15th, 2022 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

This is a good find indeed, but does Gillard's word hold any weight in new canon? He did make it a point to say "at the time" (meaning he was talking about when the film was originally made and the intent back then)

Not that I have a problem with Sidious > Mace, because I've always found it odd to think that he could do what even Yoda could not. Just curious.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2022 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

No it does not. Lucas himself cannot alter new canon.

But Gillard's opinion there could certainly be a game changer on the Legends front.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2022 12:43 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It just gives us more insight to the intentions behind the scene/fight at the time. Which is kinda important tbh. Directors intentions matter.

Besides I dont recall Disney canon contradicting that. If anything Disney have trebled down on Sheev being OP.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 19th, 2022 at 03:45 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2022 03:41 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, canon has left the Mace/Palpatine battle ambiguous. Maybe Palpatine intentionally threw the fight; maybe Mace legitimately beat him... We don't really know one way or the other.

So even though Gillard's opinion may not hold much canonical authority, it doesn't really contradict anything, either.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2022 07:02 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

There’s also this quote from Star Wars Encyclopedia (De Agostini) 83 Lightsabers and Jedi Equipment, which is apparently canon:
“The lightsabers may well have been unbreakable, but that did not prevent one of them from being lost during Palpatine’s battle with Mace Windu. Toying with the Jedi Master in anticipation of the arrival of Anakin Skywalker, Palpatine was willing to allow himself to be disarmed to appear more vulnerable when his soon-to-be apprentice arrived. His office window was shattered, and the weapon fell from his hands and down into the depths below when he deliberately left himself open for Windu to deliver a kick to his chest.”

Old Post Mar 20th, 2022 02:29 PM
xPRIMEx

Another user on CV posted both the YouTube interview and the quote. Here’s a link to the thread it was posted in:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/foru...#js-message-293

Old Post Mar 20th, 2022 02:32 PM
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
There’s also this quote from Star Wars Encyclopedia (De Agostini) 83 Lightsabers and Jedi Equipment, which is apparently canon:
“The lightsabers may well have been unbreakable, but that did not prevent one of them from being lost during Palpatine’s battle with Mace Windu. Toying with the Jedi Master in anticipation of the arrival of Anakin Skywalker, Palpatine was willing to allow himself to be disarmed to appear more vulnerable when his soon-to-be apprentice arrived. His office window was shattered, and the weapon fell from his hands and down into the depths below when he deliberately left himself open for Windu to deliver a kick to his chest.”

Wth!

Could have used a quote like that 10years ago lol

Old Post Mar 20th, 2022 11:02 PM
xPRIMEx

Lol I know right

Old Post Mar 21st, 2022 11:52 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Anyone see this interview? At 22:55 Gilliard says that Palpatine ...could have creamed Mace:
Oh f*ck yeah, that's the leaked video I wanna see on Liveleak.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2022 03:14 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Ah, so this source was published in 2020. Should be canon then.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2022 06:10 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Doesn't this clash with Lucas' own statements about Mace vs Palpatine?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2022 06:12 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Galan007
Yeah, canon has left the Mace/Palpatine battle ambiguous. Maybe Palpatine intentionally threw the fight; maybe Mace legitimately beat him... We don't really know one way or the other.

So even though Gillard's opinion may not hold much canonical authority, it doesn't really contradict anything, either.

Not anymore. The new canon DeAgostini sourcebook states that Sidious “toyed with” Mace and that he intentionally allowed himself to be disarmed.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Mar 29th, 2022 05:14 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

its been clear from the get that Sidious was faking the whole thing lol nice to see it acknowledged in canon finally

Old Post Mar 29th, 2022 08:38 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by relentless1
its been clear from the get that Sidious was faking the whole thing lol nice to see it acknowledged in canon finally

Tbf confusion was always down to mixed messages.

1)Lucas says Mace overpowers Sidious in the saber battle but then Sidious feigns weakness in the Force.

2)Lucas says You have to be Mace or Yoda to compete with Sidious.

3)Heck even Gillard ranked both Mace and Sidious on the same level in Sabers.

4) But then both Ian McDiarmid and Nick Gillard seemed to be under the impression that Sidious threw the fight.

5) And TCW shows Sidious carries two sabers so losing one shouldnt have left him saberless anyway.

6) Everyone (Lucas, Filoni, Gillard, Jackson) always gave the impression Mace was 2nd to Yoda in combat. Yoda who couldnt beat Sidious.

So guess it was Disneys tie to break.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2022 09:01 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Not anymore. The new canon DeAgostini sourcebook states that Sidious “toyed with” Mace and that he intentionally allowed himself to be disarmed.
thumb up

Wasn't aware of that source until Prime posted the link.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 31st, 2022 at 02:06 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2022 12:38 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Glad Disney has decided to double down on Palpatine being a boring invincible villain-sue. thumb up I preferred the notion that despite all his cunning and strategy, actually fighting Mace and Yoda in single combat was the closest Sidious came to being foiled, and even his prescience wasn't able to determine the outcomes of those fights. Buuuut I guess "muahaha losing was part of my plan all along" is just as good. How dull.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Mar 31st, 2022 at 05:01 PM

Old Post Mar 31st, 2022 04:57 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

With how Disney has doubled down on wanking the absolute shit out of Vader, yet still going out of their way to show us that he is still less than nothing to Sidious, it really doesn't surprise me to learn that he was toying with Mace.

It also cements Yoda's status as the Jedi's #1 swordsman during the PT..... By a lot.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2022 12:26 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote