KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » James Bond Series » Russia With Love Chessmatch

Russia With Love Chessmatch
Started by: AmrothSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

Russia With Love Chessmatch

I was watching From Russia With Love, particularly the chessmatch scene and I noticed something odd about the victory. Kronsteen is shown as the winner but I was amazed after closely analyzing the terms of his vicctory that he did not indeed checkmate his opponent. He checks his opponent but he still has one move as far as I can see but he just tips over his king and says "My congratulations. A brilliant coup." I really don't understand this I even paused the DVD and looked at it for a couple of minutes to make sure but I could be wrong. Did he forfeit the match? If anyone knows what I'm talking about or is interested or anything please let me know. I tried to attach a chessboard of the setup where Kronsteen is red and his opponent green and it is green's turn as it is in the movie but it was made in paint so I can't if you want to see it E-mail me or you could just watch the movie

Leader of the Xbox Live Knights 0f the 0ld Republic clan. "Your overconfidence is your weakness" "Your faith in your friends is yours" "I can feel the good in you, the conflict" "I'll never turn to the dark side"

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2005 11:40 AM
AmrothSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send AmrothSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by AmrothSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

As far as I know, the chessgame is actually the game between Boris Spassky and David Bronstein at the USSR Championship in Leningrad in 1960. So I take that his opponent took everything into account and realised no matter what, he would lose?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2005 04:00 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

Sorry I may have messed up the name but I don't think he had to quit he had a move that in which his king was perfectly protected. IDK maybe I am paying too much attention to the nitty gritty if you know what I mean.

Leader of the Xbox Live Knights 0f the 0ld Republic clan. "Your overconfidence is your weakness" "Your faith in your friends is yours" "I can feel the good in you, the conflict" "I'll never turn to the dark side"

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 11:04 AM
AmrothSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send AmrothSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by AmrothSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

no you're not, cause since they were doing the Spassky-Bronstein duel why would they not go till the last move? messed

it would be great if you could post a screenshot or something

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 11:13 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

Here's the setup

confused he(Green) tips his King over at this point before moving

Attachment: chessboard 2.jpg
This has been downloaded 57 time(s).

Last edited by AmrothSkywalker on Jul 3rd, 2005 at 10:27 PM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 10:24 PM
yerssot

isn't there a rule that if the king can't move, you've lost anyway?

I mean, it's his (green) move, so he can only go to the black square but that's the only square the king can be on... meaning he got defeated?
I'm not 100% sure about that rule but still pretty sure it exists

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 10:36 PM
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

He CAN move there and as long as he can move other pieces its not a stalemate. If he has no other moves but moving his king and no matter where his king goes he gets checked then thats a stalemate and in that case there is still not a winner it is a draw. Also he can move his knight to block so he really has two moves. So now I'm more than sure its a screw up.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 12:51 PM
yerssot

well, I looked it up for you and you can read it here:

http://chess-now.com/kings-gambit.htm

all I know about chess is how to play it so those things are over my head...
It finishes with a reference to the Bond-chessgame:
"Strangely enough however in the 'Kronsteen-McAdams game' the White pawns at d4 and c5 were omitted (BC)."

Old Post Jul 5th, 2005 06:44 PM
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

I know that it may haver been different in real life but i know in the movie the setup I showed the exact setup and there are THREE different moves he can do to get out of check!

Old Post Jul 9th, 2005 10:34 PM
yerssot

well, perhaps they simply misread the match or they were too lazy to properly set things up?

Old Post Jul 9th, 2005 10:37 PM
AmrothSkywalker
Savior of the Galaxy

Yea only expl.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 08:02 PM
yerssot

I hope so cause you got me stunned, though I'll try to find more about this smile

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 11:11 PM