KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Body-awareness in First-Person games.

Body-awareness, next innovation or just plain annoying.
This poll is closed.
Yeah, it definatley adds something new to the genre. 8 72.73%
Nope, if it aint broke, why fix it? Legs are annoying. 0 0%
They're both fine, depending on the type of FP game. 3 27.27%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Body-awareness in First-Person games.
Started by: Thael

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Chance SL
Chance(TM)

Body-awareness in First-Person games.

Okay, I've noticed alot of the new First-Personers have body-awareness (You look down and have legs. etc). Games like Breakdown (the best innovation in a FP game ever, poor graphics), Thief 3 (I know its 3rd Person but the First Person camera actually puts the camera in Garrett's head), Halo 2, Arx Fatalis, Chronicles of Riddick and Doom 3 (I've been told).

I think that its the new innovation in FP games (like Half Life started the, hands-move-gun-while-idle thing) and I think its a pretty good one, if you get it right, I also think it makes FP games alot more immersive as opposed to feeling like your floating, but on the other hand, some my find having legs annoying. (They get in the way when you look down etc)

What do you guys think?

Touché.no expression, Rose of Isis, Walsh, Piggles shifty, MG , Scribble , Ms Chelle, Quincy, Clovie, Syren, Lea.no expression, Emma Representing™ on Steam | My Steam Profile; Chance™

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 12:44 PM
Chance SL is currently offline Click here to Send Chance SL a Private Message Find more posts by Chance SL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Predator 89

I never had a problem with body awarness in a FPS before. It just ads more realism to the game. Instad of a floading gun in the air we get the sence of dimensions from the character.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 02:08 PM
Predator 89 is currently offline Click here to Send Predator 89 a Private Message Find more posts by Predator 89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

I like it. In most games, you're nothing but a floating gun with a hand or two, depending on the size of it. Not too realistic, and it seems like most games try more or less to be realistic, at least how these situations would look. Looking down and having no legs, feet, or shadow makes it less distracting, true, but still, I think the realism factor is worth it.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 04:03 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

more body-awareness please~ I love the depth it adds.. I hope they perfect it soon.. will half life 2 have body awareness? (/shakes fist @ valve)

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 05:48 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChickinMeat

I really liked it when i played Theif3, makes you feel more like a character.

http://www.myspace.com/chickinmeat

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2004 05:50 PM
ChickinMeat is currently offline Click here to Send ChickinMeat a Private Message Find more posts by ChickinMeat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

i liked it in games like halo, where you see your hands, such as loading clips, or holding the gun, but looking down at your feet kinda would be odd, especially in red vs blue, but heres a question. if your lookind down at your feet. doesnt that mean you should be able to shoot your self in the foot? personally, i feel that in games like halo where your crouched it could add realism, but seeing your feet while your running is over kill. and i would rather have the develepers put more time into gameplay and making the graphics engine run smoother, than make somehting that could cause the frame rate to fart.(anyone rememeber perfect dark? they could have made the frame rate better just by taking out the reload animations and making em more like the ones in golden eye.)

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 03:35 AM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterWizard

Body Awareness is great. I'm just waiting for when you get shot in an fps, your body jerks where you get hit in real life. That's awareness. Makes you want to avoid bullets. Took as shot to the head? You're head snap back wards. Just make sure you've got a head rest. Don't want to suffer whiplash.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 10:47 PM
MasterWizard is currently offline Click here to Send MasterWizard a Private Message Find more posts by MasterWizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote