KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Does the DS Touchpad Actually Hinder the Production of Games??

Does the DS Touchpad Actually Hinder the Production of Games??
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Worried Does the DS Touchpad Actually Hinder the Production of Games??

Just a thought. It would explain why the games take so long to come out. That and the cartridge format.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 02:10 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Maybe.
I dont think its the manufacturing per say, but developers trying to use the touch screen. Its pretty innovating but because of that, developers dont know how to develop for it, to the point of getting good at it. Thats my guess.

Also, I think they released it way to early to try to get in before the PSP.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 04:41 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Well let's think about it:

Let's say a game company makes "X-Men Legends" for the PSP and the DS. The PSP would be rather easy to format it to. However for the DS, it would require a complete renovation. They would have to implent new ideas for the touchpad. The control scheme would be changed. In fact the entire gameplay would be altered.

If anyone has noticed the DS games are games specifically designed for the DS. While other games are multi-platform, the DS requires extra work and money to implment the touchpad. And most companies aren't willing to opt for that.

And has anyone noticed that there are no fighting games on the DS nor any in the future?

Cannot imagine playing Soul Calibur or Tekken with the touchpad. Ten-hit comboes would be damn near impossible.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 04:48 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

not a DS man are ya?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 04:51 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I'm just EXTREMELY disappointed in the DS. Poor library. Poor control. Poor design overall.

They could have done ALOT better. The touchpad is just a gimmick. People say it works great....for Feel the Magic and Yoshi and other games specifically designed for the DS.

But once you wanna play Star Wars, Soul Calibur, or Prince of Persia the touchpad will become a nuisance.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 04:56 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

why would the touchpad hinder ideas?.. they could do lots of extra things with it that cant be accomplished with psp's media

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 07:20 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Hinder games not ideas. For multi-console games such as the upcoming Star Wars they would have to reinnovate the game just for the DS. Because of the touchpad.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 07:39 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

hmm.. I'd think of it as opportunity as opposed to hinderance.. however Im sure they can ignore the touchpad and just program it like normal.. its not mandatory to be touch compatible after all.. its just a side quirk

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 07:41 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

The touchpad is kinda of mandatory for 3D games. A directional pad isn't gonna cut it. Which is why you needed the touchpad for Mario. 2D games like Kirby or Yoshi are fine.

Ever wonder why Spider-Man 2 was made into 2d format?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 07:43 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

lol.. they ignored the touchpad.. I suppose its developer preference. touch pad is neat, but it needs more attention than some devs are willing to give

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 10:08 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

True.

Spider-Man 2 DS didn't ignore the touchpad. They used the bottom one to perform attacks.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 10:18 PM
Mainstream
lighting the way

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Draco69
I'm just EXTREMELY disappointed in the DS. Poor library. Poor control. Poor design overall.

They could have done ALOT better. The touchpad is just a gimmick. People say it works great....for Feel the Magic and Yoshi and other games specifically designed for the DS.

But once you wanna play Star Wars, Soul Calibur, or Prince of Persia the touchpad will become a nuisance.

The DS isn't the new gameboy...it's like the bastard son of the Game boy the new Gameboy should be out by christmas time.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:44 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

The one with "Dreamcast graphics?" I highly doubt it will be out that soon. But just the fact that they are scrambling to make a new one just goes to show what a failure the DS is. And Nintendo knows it. The DS is just some pocket change of the new one.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:46 PM
Mainstream
lighting the way

the DS isn't a failure they sold almost 4 million of them..the DS was an experiment...it's not as bad as that VR everything in Red view master thingie that came out a few years back. When it comes to hand helds Nintindo is tops...the PSP is the first true threat it's ever faced since Nintendo old school GB came out back in the day.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:50 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

A failure for profit? No. A failure for a product? In my opinon, yes.

For the new one, they had better wise up and get with the new market. Touching virtual puppies aint' gonna cut it.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:53 PM
Mainstream
lighting the way

true....but I have faith in Nintendo.....once upon a time they were kings.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:55 PM
[D_A]Kherr

I think that the DS, while being completely innovative, has one flaw, the touchpad, not on gameplay, but on the completion of games for the DS. (I love the DS due to the touchpad, and gameplay) While the PSp was designed for multimedia, the DS was designed for games, and that is what I am a gamer for, not multimedia, but games. Although the DS and GBA are going to have a multimedia cartridge that works with both the DS and GBA (called the Play-Yan), It's only for small media, not like the PSp or the Gizmondo, which weren't really created for gaming, but more for things like DVD's on the go without the DVD, or portable music (which we have things called mini-disc players and MP3 players for that), so the DS just has to wait a little longer for games to come out due to the Touchpad, but these games are now more interactive than the PS2, the Xbox, the Gamecube, and every other gaming system out there. I think that nintendo will always have the lead on portable gaming, because every portable system they come out with is innovative. For example, touchpad, flip screen, two speakers, two screens, etc. are what make the DS head of the portable industry. Also the GBA was the first system on the market to go Wireless when communicating to another of it's kind. The other quality that makes nintendo's portable systems so good is that you don't need a memory card to continue a file, it saves to the cartridge, so I don't see a down side here. Oh, and the DS doesn't use cartridges, I believe they are called chips, though don't quote me on this...

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 04:45 PM
[D_A]Kherr is currently offline Click here to Send [D_A]Kherr a Private Message Find more posts by [D_A]Kherr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

the DS was just a side thing...it's not the true Gameboy.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 04:48 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

The problem is that the portable gaming industry is powered by the people who make the games...which is the same people who make console games. The touchpad requires extra production and extra work for the DS. It may require an entirely different concept than what they are making for the other consoles.

The games for the DS are specifically made for the DS. Due to the touchpad. The PSP does not require any new innovation or extra work. Thus this is why the games are coming out like clockwork for the PSP. The DS requires more work and more fine-tuning to the control.

Example: Dynasty Warriors

PSP does not require any new innovations. DS however requires new innovation since the touchpad operates as a poor man's analog stick and a map at the same time. Not to mention it is more difficult to translate the data to a cartridge than it would be a CD type disc since the technology is rather outdated. It's very much like Windows and Mac. More compatability.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 04:52 PM
[D_A]Kherr

quote:
The problem is that the portable gaming industry is powered by the people who make the games...which is the same people who make console games. The touchpad requires extra production and extra work for the DS. It may require an entirely different concept than what they are making for the other consoles.

The games for the DS are specifically made for the DS. Due to the touchpad. The PSP does not require any new innovation or extra work. Thus this is why the games are coming out like clockwork for the PSP. The DS requires more work and more fine-tuning to the control.

Example: Dynasty Warriors

PSP does not require any new innovations. DS however requires new innovation since the touchpad operates as a poor man's analog stick and a map at the same time. Not to mention it is more difficult to translate the data to a cartridge than it would be a CD type disc since the technology is rather outdated. It's very much like Windows and Mac. More compatability.

wtf? Not to be offensive here, but um.... Isn't all the games so far for the PSp already on the PS2, or am I the only one that's noticed this? The DS has games of it's own, and a couple remakes... I think the DS is more innovative this way.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 05:39 PM
[D_A]Kherr is currently offline Click here to Send [D_A]Kherr a Private Message Find more posts by [D_A]Kherr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote