KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Favorite rpg type?

Favorite rpg type
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Turn-Based. 5 45.45%
Chess-Board. 1 9.09%
Real Time. 5 45.45%
D20 Setting. 0 0%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Favorite rpg type?
Started by: Spelljammer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spelljammer
Restricted

Account Restricted

Favorite rpg type?

What's your favorite rpg type? SpellJammer thinks alot can be said about a person by the type of rpgs they play..

Turn-Based:
Final Fantasy is a prime example of turn-based, some others may include Paper Mario or Pokemon. (If you want to call that an rpg..) Turn-based is perhaps the simpelist because the main concept is to hack N slash monsters to build up your exprience to take on meaner bosses. And ussualy elements are involved to create a rock, scizzor, paper type stradegy.

Chess-Board:
A little more complex form of turn based, games like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics proved that terrain can have a huge impact on the game itself, alot of how well you do in battle depends on where you apply your team-mates, but the basic rule of leveling up still applies.

Real Time:
Real Time rpgs (sometimes called "dungeoneering") like Fable and Zelda are a little less rpg and more like indepth platformer games. Your stats and health amount have less importance now as compared to what weapons you wield and how good your button reflexes are..

D20 Based:
D20 Based is relatively new on the scenery. Lesser incarnations like Diablo exsisted SpellJammer supposed, but in some ways d20 system is turn based and yet it's not. The party members are either assigned battles or you desginate what they go after, leveling up is important as well as a slew of other things, and though it takes more stradegy, once you've assigned who battles what, it's bassicaly just like watching a pixelated movie.

So which one is your favorite and why?

Last edited by Spelljammer on Sep 15th, 2005 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 03:59 PM
Spelljammer is currently offline Click here to Send Spelljammer a Private Message Find more posts by Spelljammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

real time and D20, Diablo, KOTOR, Fable (low on the list), Guild Wars those types

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 08:54 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stalker 360
Henshi a-go-go, baby!

turn based and real time i hate chess based

Current Pokemon:5

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 08:57 PM
Stalker 360 is currently offline Click here to Send Stalker 360 a Private Message Find more posts by Stalker 360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Real time, and turned based pokemon

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 09:05 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

i did turned based.....i LOVE legend of legaia and legaia 2:duel saga....big grin

but i love diablo 2 also..*puts invisible double vote on d20* big grin

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 09:53 PM
an_old_wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send an_old_wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by an_old_wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spelljammer
Restricted

Account Restricted

You know, there seems to be alot of love for d20, who would be interested in running a post-appocalyptic d20 game on this board? big grin

Old Post Sep 15th, 2005 10:22 PM
Spelljammer is currently offline Click here to Send Spelljammer a Private Message Find more posts by Spelljammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

.... TOO MANY GOOD RPGS IN ALL CATEGORIES.... ARG....

By Barker
"There can be only none..."

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 02:19 AM
Hit_and_Miss is currently offline Click here to Send Hit_and_Miss a Private Message Find more posts by Hit_and_Miss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kumar

i would have to say turn based because i am a big FF fan but real time is cool too (kingdom hearts bitches)

I will live Forever

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 05:31 AM
Kumar is currently offline Click here to Send Kumar a Private Message Find more posts by Kumar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I love turn based games if they have a good story to keep me interested, like Final Fantasy.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 09:53 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Turn-based gives you time to think but it can get boring sometimes.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 03:36 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Turn base because you are not rushed to make a decision and can think through it carefully and not rushed into just pressing a button before you get attacked and miss your turn or a chance to attack.

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 07:45 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I prefer real time first and foremost.. then Active Time Battle (which is sortof diablo ish).... turn based just really irritates me.. you basically let someone beat your ass, when you could have prevented it, given that you had full control of your character

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 11:07 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Well Hung
Restricted

Account Restricted

None, because they all are racist.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 12:42 PM
Well Hung is currently offline Click here to Send Well Hung a Private Message Find more posts by Well Hung Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Chess Board? Strategey Rpgs lol, they are basically turn based too. I picked that cuz of FF Tactics, Shining Force 1,2 etc., Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, etc. All great games!

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 06:57 PM
Pezmerga is currently offline Click here to Send Pezmerga a Private Message Find more posts by Pezmerga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I think each one has its own advantages, but I agree with Pezmerga here... Games like Fire Emblem, Shining Force and FF Tactics are a nice combination of strategy and RP fun. In particular, waging war is a lot more fun than the same two dimensional random enemy bashing that has dominated the FF series since FF VII.

But another good candidate for an excellent fighting system is Temple of Elemental Evil, which featured a D20 system that was turn based, but not horribly stale. And it had a lot of options, which is good. A pity the game itself was so lacking.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 09:40 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote