KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD Format War

Who Will Win the Disc Format War?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu-Ray 2 14.29%
HD-DVD 7 50.00%
The Greedy Corporations 0 0%
Do I look like I f***ing care? 4 28.57%
Nintendo....?! 1 7.14%
Total: 14 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD Format War
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD Format War

God in heaven. I'm sticking with DVDS until this ridiculous brand war between movies studios and manufactuors like Sony and Microsoft dies down.

Oops! I can't play my recently bought Harry Potter movie! Apparently it violates some zany copyright law I didn't know existed....

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 06:34 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I have 180 DVDs. No way in hell am I getting a Blu-Ray just to have them collect dust.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 01:58 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sin Harvest
I have 180 DVDs. No way in hell am I getting a Blu-Ray just to have them collect dust.

laughing out loud

You can still view them on the Blu Ray player.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 02:16 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

When is Blu-Ray set to hit the market?

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 02:27 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth_royke

i'd prefer it if they brought out boxsets on one blu-ray or hd-dvd disc, no more changing discs after episode four of a season.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 02:32 PM
darth_royke is currently offline Click here to Send darth_royke a Private Message Find more posts by darth_royke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I will wait for a couple years until there is a clear victor.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 03:37 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I think its gonna take a long ass time before people accept blu-ray on a 'common' level

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 04:10 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I think its gonna take a long ass time before people accept blu-ray on a 'common' level

Exactly.

Just look how long it took DVD's to take over the far inferior VHS.... anybody remember LaserDisc? BETA?

Now that DVD's are the mainstream, the casual movie buyer isnt going to spend another $500 for another disc player. Or spend all thier hard earned money on HDDVD movies that they already own on DVD.

I'm going to say 5-10 years before it comes close to even coming near DVD's. They're too mainstream to up end them.

The funny thing is that alot of casual moviegoers dont even like High Def movies....."it's too clear".

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 05:31 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by El_NINO
laughing out loud

You can still view them on the Blu Ray player.

Yeah, but what's the point of buying an expansive Blu Ray player if your not going to watch your favourite movies in High Def on it?

Those DVD's will collect dust because you would want to buy them again for the High Def, the reason why you bought the player in the first place/

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 05:33 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, but what's the point of buying an expansive Blu Ray player if your not going to watch your favourite movies in High Def on it?

Those DVD's will collect dust because you would want to buy them again for the High Def, the reason why you bought the player in the first place/

Its like the first generation iPOD holders, they have an iPOD but the new ones have color a better click wheel video and its a heck of a lot smaller.

Simply because a few years ago Hif Def DVDs were not available.. come on... I dont necessarily think Blu Ray is a must have product but that too me is a weak excuss not to buy Blu Ray.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 06:28 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

how's it a weak excuse?.. he's saying you'd have to replace your entire dvd library with HD-dvd to get the best possible enjoyment out of the newly purchased hardware.. thats really impractical... what would you propose to do to get rid of all of those dvd's? (assuming he's a movie fanatic)

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 07:21 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

how's it a weak excuse?.. he's saying you'd have to replace your entire dvd library with HD-dvd to get the best possible enjoyment out of the newly purchased hardware.. thats really impractical... what would you propose to do to get rid of all of those dvd's? (assuming he's a movie fanatic)

My point is you cant change the past now can you?... of course not, you buy the new product because of future use in mind.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 11:20 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I think its better to do that 'after' the hardware drops in price... future use serves no purpose in the present

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 11:44 PM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I say HDDVD, mainly because I have a 360 and will prolly pick up the add on. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 12:54 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think its better to do that 'after' the hardware drops in price... future use serves no purpose in the present

Exactly.

Nino, High Def movies wont become mainstream until 5-10 years.

It took DVD's to hit mainstream over VHS in 6 years, thats because DVD's offered much better visual quality, sound quality and accesibility.
The new format offers better visual quality and sound, but its still the same thing as an DVD.

The casual moviegoer isnt going to be swayed by it. It also doesnt help that you need an HDTV to actually use the hardware, so really, you think are going to be an HDTV and a HDDVD player?

That's asking alot of people.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 05:02 AM
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Originally posted by Smasandian
Exactly.

Nino, High Def movies wont become mainstream until 5-10 years.

It took DVD's to hit mainstream over VHS in 6 years, thats because DVD's offered much better visual quality, sound quality and accesibility.
The new format offers better visual quality and sound, but its still the same thing as an DVD.

The casual moviegoer isnt going to be swayed by it. It also doesnt help that you need an HDTV to actually use the hardware, so really, you think are going to be an HDTV and a HDDVD player?

That's asking alot of people.

Like I said, I dont think Blu Ray or HDDVD is a must have thing but simply because you cant watch your old movies in Hi Def isnt a valid excuse, if thats the case then you shouldnt ever buy it.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 02:28 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

And that's my point to begin with.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 03:59 PM
sully_2u
Sex Guru

Blu-Ray is quite expensive to develope on. I bet developers will go with HD-DVD more than Blu-Ray.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 06:16 PM
sully_2u is currently offline Click here to Send sully_2u a Private Message Find more posts by sully_2u Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NinthCorona

What does HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have going for them, space-wise?

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 06:51 PM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sully_2u
Sex Guru

30 GB for Dual Layer HD-DVD and 50 GB for Dual Layer Blu-Ray.

You guys should check this out though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

3 TB storage!!

Old Post Jun 18th, 2006 09:14 PM
sully_2u is currently offline Click here to Send sully_2u a Private Message Find more posts by sully_2u Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote