KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » I'm about 12 years too late for this arguemnt but...

I'm about 12 years too late for this arguemnt but...
Started by: Sai1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sai1

I'm about 12 years too late for this arguemnt but...

One thing I never understood was how in the world did Gameboy manage to beat Sega's Game Gear? The Game Gear was so blatently better in every way except battery life (which could easily be resolved with a battery pack). Something tells me battery life isn't exactly the main factor in these things anyway.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:28 PM
Sai1 is currently offline Click here to Send Sai1 a Private Message Find more posts by Sai1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Null

POKEMON

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:41 PM
Null is currently offline Find more posts by Null Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sai1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ritoshi
POKEMON

Pokemon was no where in sight at the time. In fact I'm pretty sure pokemon came out after Game Gear died didn't it?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:49 PM
Sai1 is currently offline Click here to Send Sai1 a Private Message Find more posts by Sai1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

TETRIS

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:49 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Null

Originally posted by Bardock42
TETRIS
cool

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:51 PM
Null is currently offline Find more posts by Null Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Null

Originally posted by Sai1
Pokemon was no where in sight at the time. In fact I'm pretty sure pokemon came out after Game Gear died didn't it?
Game Gear was still somewhat alive, Pokemon just basically made sure it was dead forever. Only games I played on the gear gear(which I loved) was this baseball game, Bust a move, and Sonic.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 09:52 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Sonic 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, Power Rangers: The Movie, and MLB 1991 were my top favs.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:10 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Re: I'm about 12 years too late for this arguemnt but...

One thing I never understood was how in the world did Gameboy manage to beat Sega's Game Gear? The Game Gear was so blatently better in every way except battery life (which could easily be resolved with a battery pack). Something tells me battery life isn't exactly the main factor in these things anyway.

Battery life is an huge factor in handhelds. Sure, you can fix it with a battery pack, but will parents buy someting thats more expansive and have to buy an expansive battery pack?

Game Boy was cheaper and wasted less batteries
The games were huge with amazing 3rd party support.

and it had Tetris. I think the highest selling game of all time.

These reasons are what's going to make Nintendo the king of handhelds for years. Nonbody has beat them at yet, and I dont think they will. Handhelds are meant for gameplay because uber graphics are just too expansive and battery consuming for handhelds. Sony just forgot that people play handhelds on the road or away from electric outlets. Same with Sega and Atari.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:20 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sai1

Originally posted by Ritoshi
Game Gear was still somewhat alive, Pokemon just basically made sure it was dead forever. Only games I played on the gear gear(which I loved) was this baseball game, Bust a move, and Sonic.

But even if Pokem had never existed, wouldn't you say Game Gear would have had the exact same fate. If it hadn't swayed people by the time Pokem came around, it wasn't gonna happen.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:21 PM
Sai1

Originally posted by JKozzy
Sonic 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, Power Rangers: The Movie, and MLB 1991 were my top favs.

Yeah Power Ragers was awsome! laughing
I actually found someone esle who had it and played VS with them before.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:22 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Lynx anyone?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:32 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sai1

Re: Re: I'm about 12 years too late for this arguemnt but...

Originally posted by Smasandian
Battery life is an huge factor in handhelds. Sure, you can fix it with a battery pack, but will parents buy someting thats more expansive and have to buy an expansive battery pack?

Game Boy was cheaper and wasted less batteries
The games were huge with amazing 3rd party support.

Wasn't the Game Gear maybe 20 bucks more? People didn't get Battery packs for Game Boy? And it's not like kids relying on parents were the only ones that had these thing. Or were they?

Game Gear was by no means lacking in games. And even if Game Boy had more, any given Game Gear game was better in most every aspect.

Originally posted by Smasandian
and it had Tetris. I think the highest selling game of all time.
[/B]

Ah, Tetris can't be so great that it's the defining factor in which system you get. Besides, I think Game Gear had a tetris too although it didn't come out till later.

Last edited by Sai1 on Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:35 PM
Sai1

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Lynx anyone?

Don't know much about Lynx. Don't think it had nearly as many games as Game Gear though. Not to mention accessories. You can turn the Game Gear into a freakin TV!!! I never was able to find one of those TV Tuners by the time I got mine. sad
It even had a converter which allowed you to play Sega Genesis games on it! Couldn't find that either sad

Last edited by Sai1 on Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:35 PM
Bardock42

Tetris kind of pawns all....and certainly made Nintendo much stronger...

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:36 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sai1

Tetris kind of pawns all....and certainly made Nintendo much stronger...

Most of the people I knew with a Game Boy didn't even have Tetris.

Don't forget to give Colums it's props. It wasn't bad. smile

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:40 PM
Bardock42

Most of the people I knew with a Game Boy didn't even have Tetris.

Don't forget to give Colums it's props. It wasn't bad. smile

I know I did..Tetris and Mario 2 ....also Tetris is the best game ever....

And the Game Gear was kind of huge....the Game Boy was jsut generally easier....and cooler....hehe.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:43 PM
Sai1

I know I did..Tetris and Mario 2 ....also Tetris is the best game ever....

Honestly, whens the last time you played tetris stick out tongue
(Actually I still play it occationally. Best version of it ever - The New Tetris for N64. Course, probably the only reason I still play is to finish that last damn wonder!! laughing )

And the Game Gear was kind of huge....the Game Boy was jsut generally easier....and cooler....hehe.

Personally, I thought it was fine and after playing with my battey pack attached, it felt too small without it. smile But in anycase I cannot say Game Boy was cooler. Not even Game Boy Advance had anything that could compete with stuff like Shinning Force 2, Power Rangers, Defenders of Oasis, etc... Game Gear's game were just WAY too much better. cool Comparing a Game Boy to a Game Gear is just like comparing... well... a Game Boy to a Game Gear. smile

Last edited by Sai1 on Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 10:51 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I loved my MK1 on game gear... so much blood...

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 11:34 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sai1

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I loved my MK1 on game gear... so much blood...

Only if you knew the code though smile 1,2,1,2 up, down or something. I forget. But it was a helluva lot better than the Game Boy version that's for sure. Still, Power Rangers was the best fighting game on Game Gear laughing Much better than any of the arcade ports like MK or SF.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 11:48 PM
S_D_J
Bane

game gear!!!! (nostalgia)

I love playing with that thing. my father hated when i played during nite, he said it'd hurt my eyes, but i still played anywayz, and always ended up with tearful eyes, but happy big grin

only had three games: bruce lee enter the dragon, a boxing game (i think it was Fight Night) and VR Troopers big grin (never played Power Rangers though)

but I still have my Tetris Cartridge and yes, Tetris Rules, so much fun and so simple. I think that's what made nintendo win: simplicity. they forgot that during N64, but it looks they're getting back on track now

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 12:29 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote