KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Sequals are so underated.

Are sequals underated?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 3 37.50%
no 5 62.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sequals are so underated.
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sequals are so underated.

Anyone agree?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 09:05 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I'd go back to the OTF. erm

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 09:08 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Um, why don't you explain yourself a bit.

I would have to say in general though, sequels have a hard time living up to the original.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 09:27 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 10:08 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I dont think so... people expect way too much from sequels these days.. so high expectation doesnt match being underrated

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 10:31 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kayne Archeron

but it's those high expectations that lead to the underrating, I try to enjoy a sequel for what it is and i still don't think DMC2 was that bad, but FFX2 was rather dull about halfway through

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 06:21 PM
Kayne Archeron is currently offline Click here to Send Kayne Archeron a Private Message Find more posts by Kayne Archeron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I dont think so... people expect way too much from sequels these days.. so high expectation doesnt match being underrated

Well, a sequel should at least match the original, or what's the point of it?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 07:33 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

In the context of video games, I don't think sequels are "underrated." Super Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario World, Resident Evil 4 ... this thread would make sense in a movie forum, but I don't think it's true for video games.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 07:54 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

SOME sequels are underrated while others are overrated:

MGS2 is very overrated, the plot was presented poorly, and Raiden=/=MGS, Raiden=whiney little girl who should be in Barbie games. I'd of rather had a woman as the lead, than I could be more sympathic.

DMC2 is underrated, it's easy as hell, but Lucia is fun to play as IMO, and it isn't THAT terrible.

Max Payne 2 is underrated, yes the Ps2 version is pretty bad graphically, but the gameplay is as fun as 1.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 09:45 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

The OTF is calling you back, go

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:28 AM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swe_Bum
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell!

LOL damn wankers at OTF laughing

Pure American Metal

My fanart/art-- My sigs

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 12:01 PM
Swe_Bum is currently offline Click here to Send Swe_Bum a Private Message Find more posts by Swe_Bum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

Didnt vote....there was no "Nah" option

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 12:41 PM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I disagree. Sequels can and most of them are better. Super Mario Bros 3, The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past and OoT, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3 and Knuckles, many sequels are in fact better then the orginals.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 12:54 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Originally posted by Lana
Oh I didnt mean it like that... I meant that they expect so much to a point where being underrated is no longer possible.. considering underrated is where one thinks a game to be crap when its actually good or has some good qualities... (at least to the point of bringing it to 'cult following' status)

I definately dont see anything wrong with wanting more for your 50 dollars in the next game

most of the sequels I can think of dont come near being underrated

kingdom hearts 2
halo 2
half life 2
diablo 2
capcom vs snk 2
street fighter 2
resident evil 2
soul calibur 2

I know there can be more than a '2' to a sequel, but the second game in a series is usually what decides if the franchise is revisited a 3rd or more times

IMO the first game in a series of sequels are usually underrated.. I've also seen games like ICO turn to underrated status.. (games that try to be wierd and different... then succeed at it)

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Last edited by SaTsuJiN on Aug 8th, 2006 at 01:18 PM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 01:12 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Lana

Well, it can be an extraordinary game without matching it's predecessor

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 01:16 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Originally posted by ESB -1138
I disagree. Sequels can and most of them are better. Super Mario Bros 3, The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past and OoT, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3 and Knuckles, many sequels are in fact better then the orginals.

Well that's because those sequels you mentioned blow away the originals. The originals made the landmark, but the sequels blew them away completely. You can add Mario World to the list.

And IceJaw, I know that OTF jab wasn't at me. I can't believe people STILL are taking shots at the OTF, all because who was new back in 2005 followed who was doing it then. roll eyes (sarcastic) It was a good forum at it's time, and it got really ruined when the users from when it was first made left.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 02:50 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Most of the time, sequels are better imo : a lot of the mistakes or little things that could have been better of the first game have been taken care of.

For example:

Resident Evil
Splinter Cell
Syphon Filter (PSX)
Maximo
Tekken
Little Big Adventure
Gran Tourismo
Lord of the Rings (EA)
Max Payne
Warcraft
Dungeon Siege

And I forget a lot of games.

(MGS is a tough one to classify)

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:03 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

super mario bros. 2 kicked ass. and so did silent hill 2, and 3. viva le sequel.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2006 02:38 AM
mysterio69 is currently offline Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

In video games sequels are better alot of the time, unless the original is very very good, then the hype is too much to live up to.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2006 02:41 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

BUMP!
thats true, most videogame sequels are usually better than the original..super bomberman 5 is much better than Sbm1, for example..

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2006 09:37 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote