KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Hardcore Gamer: Reality or just plain Arrogance?

Hardcore Gamer: Reality or just plain Arrogance?
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Question Hardcore Gamer: Reality or just plain Arrogance?

What exactly is a harcore gamer?

Is it a person who owns every piece of video games since the 70's?

Or is it a person who plays games 24/7?

Or maybe a person who enjoys games and nothing else?

Or simply put...a person who thinks too great of themselves for playing video games?

How do you see yourself?

I just think of video games as one of the most funnest hobbies ever made. I enjoy playing video games. But I also have other hobbies to enjoy.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 10:15 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Interesting question. I dont know what I'd consider myself, if im not hardcore im about as close as you can get.

I dont go to tournaments or anything like that, and im not stat crazed on XBL, I just do it for fun. I have all 3 systems, but the Wii and PS3 dont get much playtime(PS3 for movies basically).

But ive been playing games for as long as I can remember. But its never been a problem as far as interfering with my real world life, lol. I dont dress up as crazy metrosexual characters, lol. I have gone to a couple midnight launchs, but thats about it.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 10:23 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i just see it as someone who is exceptionally good at their chosen games

i remember thinking i was hardcore when the demo for metal gear 2 was released with Z.O.E and there was the competition whereby you completed the demo on the hardest setting and in the quickest time possible...i done it in a time whereby i thought that it was pretty much unbeatable and i barely got into the top 1000 when when i entered my code on the website

i own pretty much every console since the 80's (everything from the NES and mastersystem onwards and some prior as well)

but i dont consider this making me a hardcore gamer...

i no longer play games as often as i used to unless its a game i really want to finish (twilight princess was the last game to do that for me)

i love games....as do many of my friends and none of us are particularly young...

i also think that people somehow missed the point where gaming changed from being classed as a kids hobby to an adults hobby and that adult gamers will soon be the majority....

adults also have less time to devote to gaming and so perhaps the hardcore gamer is dieing out because game developers will keep the adult casual gamer more and more in mind when making games

if there are less hardcore games...there will be less hardcore gamers

they will always exist though

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 10:24 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

What is a hardcore gamer? I really think it can mean several things.

Personally, I don't see myself as a hardcore gamer overall, but there are several series I'd consider myself hardcore for. Always getting 100% runs or finding sequence breaks in Metroid games, for example, or perfecting every quest and minigame in Zelda. Finding easter eggs and hidden treasures in the Tales series

So I'd say a "hardcore" gamer is not just someone who owns/plays as many games as possible, but someone who is devoted to getting everything he/she can out of their games.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 11:39 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I see hardcore gaming as a person who's videogaming is their number 1 hobby.

I think people who talk about videogames on message boards are considered hardcore gamers, or find about games before thier released, or talk about E3, buy gaming magazines and visit Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, 1up and joystiq on a daily basis. Those I considered hardcore gamers.

I dont think how good you play a game has to do with anything hardcore gaming.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 12:43 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I see hardcore gaming as a person who's videogaming is their number 1 hobby.

I think people who talk about videogames on message boards are considered hardcore gamers, or find about games before thier released, or talk about E3, buy gaming magazines and visit Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, 1up and joystiq on a daily basis. Those I considered hardcore gamers.

I dont think how good you play a game has to do with anything hardcore gaming.

You can do a lot of those things you mentioned and still be a casual gamer. Imo a hardcore gamer is someone that allows gaming to take preferance over everything else.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 01:04 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

i consider myself a somewhat hardcore Nintendo gamer

and i also agree with smasandian in the sense that i check updates on multiple sites and i check it for all 3 current systems

i own every Nintendo system except for the virtual boy and i play all of them regularly, but not excessively.

thanks LifeInSepia, sig is AWESOME

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 01:09 AM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Dresta
You can do a lot of those things you mentioned and still be a casual gamer. Imo a hardcore gamer is someone that allows gaming to take preferance over everything else.

Wouldnt having gaming as thier number 1 priority in life when it comes down to hobbies not considered the same as what you said?

Casual gamers are the ones who buy games, play games and buy an system to play games, but dont know anything about whats coming out aside from the uber popular games.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 01:17 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I'm not a hardcore gamer.

I enjoy playing video-games, am reasonably knowledgeable about them and have certain picks which I want but I have other hobbies then just playing VG. Like reading , comic books ect.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 07:46 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
i consider myself a somewhat hardcore Nintendo gamer

amen, brother big grin

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 09:10 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I think hardcore is when you see a game for its mechanics, rather than its face value, and use that to master whatever game / genre you're into

I consider myself leaning more towards hardcore than casual... but to be truly hardcore I think I'd have to be good enough to win some tournaments

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 01:00 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm a part time hardcore gamer, usually I play games just for fun and not all day, but some games turn me into a hardcore gamer where everytime I'm at home I play the game as long as I can and when I go to sleep I have the game's theme music or sound effects in my head.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 02:10 PM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I'm a part time hardcore gamer, usually I play games just for fun and not all day, but some games turn me into a hardcore gamer where everytime I'm at home I play the game as long as I can and when I go to sleep I have the game's theme music or sound effects in my head.

yeah, i get like that every time i get a good new game, play it for days on end

but i dont play all games like that all the time

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 03:13 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

I see a Hardcore Gamer as someone who plays games on a normal basis and plays them fairly well (b/c seriously, a 6 year old can play games everyday but I still wouldn't consider them "hardcore").

Someone who is knowledgable about the gaming world and keeps up to date as best they can on what's going on, game releases, how well games/consoles are selling.

It also doesn't hurt to be that gamer who stands (or sits "lazy) in line for hours to purchase a next generation console.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 08:14 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

big grin big grin 15 hours baby big grin big grin

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 08:24 PM
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just 5-7 hours.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 08:33 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

well....i will admit that i was expecting a huge-ass line so i got there at 9AM

and the second person in line didnt get there until noon

but i was too scared to leave the first seat

it made it much more tolerable knowing that i was going to be the first to get it

and i had walmart employee's go get me subway which was awesome

and the guy next to me had a ds that he wasnt playing

so overall it was a good experience big grin

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 08:39 PM
S_D_J
Bane

I Don't think being a Hardcore Gamer means to perfect, or an excellent player at any game, I've know casual gamers, who after a short while, get a hang on the game, and beat whoever introduced them to it (it has happened to me, both as the hardcore or casual side). you don't have to beat everyone, or anyone, to be hardcore, you could just play by yourself, all alone ,and be a real hardcore gamer (which is the saddest way to be Hardcore), but most "hardcore games are intended to be that way: a 1 player game, with the "CASUAL" multiplayer option.

all "pathetic connotations" aside; I think a hardcore gamer, like most have already said, it's someone who knows everything, the most, or something about the gaming industry, or at least about their company/console of choice, someone who's constantly trying out new games or hearing the latest about games.
A hardcore gamer it's someone who not only enjoys the fun a game it's supposed to be, but looks for an entertaining and compelling story, and most of all, a really long replay value. critiques or praises the game, and, as of late, borders the line of fanboyism with their biased opinions (which it's very annoying). There are Hardcore gamers, as (sadly) there're Hardcore Fanboys :/

Casual gamers on the other hand,it's someone, who plays, has good time, kills some time, and the goes about their business, not really caring or thinking about the game he just played, he just knows its a fun and entertaining "pass-time" activity. they don't care about finishing the game, completing it a 100%, or beating someone else's record.

owning a console doesn't make you hardcore, specially if it's the latest next gen console, it just makes you up to date with current trend. Just tell me: how many people bought the Wii for it's novelty? or the hype of it? you can't say that there isn't at least one guy who bought a PS3 thinking it'll be the next PS2? or bought a 360 just to get ahead of everyone.
If you bought any of this consoles, because you're expecting or waiting for the next installment of your favourite franchise, then you are hardcore...any new great game that'll come along it just plain luck for the hardcore.

just remember this: it doesn't matter how well you play a game, or if you play 24/7, on weekends or once a month, if you have bookmarked IGN, Gamespot, ar any other game site, then you are Hardcore...

heck.. if you're in this thread, you're hardcore

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:39 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 12:37 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

It all depends on what the game is, a shooter, it's definitely arrogance, especially with shit like Counterstrike or Halo.

Fighting games it could be arrogance or skill, but at least with those more strategy is involved than grabbing a sniper rifle and shooting people in the head from far away.

And speed runs/beating hard difficulties just is proof how much you play a game over and over more than someone else.

That's just my opinion though.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 01:59 AM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I totally agree with Sith.

I play games everyday, I have 360, Wii, DS and I will spend atleast $3,000 grand on a new computer shortly in the next year or so. I talk about videogames, I read about videogames atleast twice daily and I watch podcasts to hear about journalists opinions about videogames.

But, when I play games, I dont play it until I master it. I play it until I finish the game, or get bored. If its MP, I play until I get bored and then I move onto another game. I'm good at games, pretty much can beat most games, (sometimes gamefaqs is used if I rented the game and I cant figure out a puzzle or something) and I'm decent at MP games, (aside from TFC on where as a sniper I was amazing for public play). I dont have time to master online games, or consistenly play the same game because I have to work, I do like socializing, I love sports and I love movies.

Does this make me less of hardcore gamer?

I dont think so. The way I look at it is that hardcore gamers know pretty much everything when it comes down to games. They would know what E3 is and where its located. They would know why Silicon Knights is not showing Too Human (by the way, they just sued Epic). Casual gamers on the other hand will go think that Syhpon Filter is the best shooter out there, or will buy Ridge Racer because it has cars in it and not realize that GT5, or Forza 2, or Dirt is right beside it and clearly superior. They're the ones who go out and buy GTA Vice City because its cheap and in the bargain bin, not because its good.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 04:41 AM