KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Best Third Person Shooters ever…

The Best Third Person Shooters ever…
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

The Best Third Person Shooters ever…

I got my inspiration to do the thread because of Jedireaper so give him the credit.

But what are your choices? What do you think are the best third person shooters (TPS) out there? Past and present..

Of course we all know that third person means that you can see the actual character you’re playing with/as from a distance and from different angles. I’m bringing it up cause I hardly hear any one specifically talk about this great genre as widely in here.

I picked up “Lost Planet: Extreme Condition” last week and I’ll have to say that it is the TPS with the best character movements in TPS’s and FPS’s games ever to come out, imo. Not even Gears of War can compare, control-wise that is. Gears is a better game though, But not that better. But here are my picks, in no order, for best third person shooters ever...

Rainbow 6: V2
Gear of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Resident Evil 4
Stranglehold
Lost Planet
Max Payne 2

Star Wars:
Battlefront II
The Force Unleashed
Shadows of the Empire (N64)

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:01 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Army of Two
Fracture

Freedom Fighters
The original Max Payne
The Suffering
Jedi Outcast
Hitman 2

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:18 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I got my inspiration to do the thread because of Jedireaper so give him the credit.

But what are your choices? What do you think are the best third person shooters (TPS) out there? Past and present..

Of course we all know that third person means that you can see the actual character you’re playing with/as from a distance and from different angles. I’m bringing it up cause I hardly hear any one specifically talk about this great genre as widely in here.

I picked up “Lost Planet: Extreme Condition” last week and I’ll have to say that it is the TPS with the best character movements in TPS’s and FPS’s games ever to come out, imo. Not even Gears of War can compare, control-wise that is. Gears is a better game though, But not that better. But here are my picks, in no order, for best third person shooters ever...

Rainbow 6: V2
Gear of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Resident Evil 4
Stranglehold
Lost Planet
Max Payne 2

Star Wars:
Battlefront II
The Force Unleashed
Shadows of the Empire (N64)

Force Unleashed?

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:29 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Resident Evil 4
Gears of War

And I don't remember any TPS...

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:34 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

RE4
Max Payne franchise
Everything or Nothing(could be 3rd person action)

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:38 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by @stroFan
Force Unleashed?

I (re)played and really liked the demo, i had good fun with it, and i think it has great potential with how it plays if the character's upgrades are good, and so far from what i've seen and read and heard about the game, it shouldn't disappoint. I feel confident in it.

Many are saying that it'll compete for G.O.T.Y. already. But we'll have to see.

And and r.remorse reminded me. I forgot but Jedi Knight games, especially "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy", was/is one of the best TPS to come out.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:49 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I (re)played and really liked the demo, i had good fun with it, and i think it has great potential with how it plays if the character's upgrades are good, and so far from what i've seen and read and heard about the game, it shouldn't disappoint. I feel confident in it.

Many are saying that it'll compete for G.O.T.Y. already. But we'll have to see.

And and r.remorse reminded me. I forgot but Jedi Knight games, especially "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy", was/is one of the best TPS to come out.

Force Unleashed isnt a shooter.

As for game of the year, its getting 7's in magazines that have reviewed the game.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 02:55 PM
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by @stroFan
Force Unleashed isnt a shooter.

As for game of the year, its getting 7's in magazines that have reviewed the game.

Well you can shoot (lightning). With people shooting at you, and you can deflect the shot back, and it is in third person view. But i guess we're only talking about the main character shooting actual guns or types of firearm and other forms artillery. So your right, overall.

Scratch T.F.U. from the list,

And 7's? You sure?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 03:04 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

ghost recon: advanced warrior (as well as the sequel)

i also loved most of the conflict series of games (desert storm, desert storm 2, vietnam and global storm) although denied ops was terrible...they've never been the best games from a technical standpoint...but i always enjoyed them

i must be in a minority that i didn't really like gears of war....it was too short and too predictable...although the berserkers were cool

i also think that jedi games are a bit dubious to classify as TPS...simply cause most of the time you're weilding a lightsabre and using force powers

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 03:08 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Well you can shoot (lightning). With people shooting at you, and you can deflect the shot back, and it is in third person view. But i guess we're only talking about the main character shooting actual guns or types of firearm and other forms artillery. So your right, overall.

Scratch T.F.U. from the list,

And 7's? You sure?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933156.asp

The PS3's average is even lower.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 03:18 PM
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by jaden101
ghost recon: advanced warrior (as well as the sequel)

i also loved most of the conflict series of games (desert storm, desert storm 2, vietnam and global storm) although denied ops was terrible...they've never been the best games from a technical standpoint...but i always enjoyed them

i must be in a minority that i didn't really like gears of war....it was too short and too predictable...although the berserkers were cool

i also think that jedi games are a bit dubious to classify as TPS...simply cause most of the time you're weilding a lightsabre and using force powers

I always wanted to try out GRAW but always thought it was a Rainbow 6 knock-off. Just with more advanced in-game gadgets. And reviews for it didn't sway me enough, but i may be wrong about the comparison since i've never played the game.

And the Jedi Knight games use firearms heavily. Especially when enemies were at a distance. Melle battles didn't happen all that often unless you were facing a saber wielding boss every once in a while. I'd say i used the lightsaber 50% of the time. I consider it a TPS, without a doubt.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 03:18 PM
FistOfThe North

When I wrote especially at a distance, it sounded obvious but i mentioned especially cause you can boomerang throw lightsabers significantly far, as well. Just not as far as a shot'll go.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 03:22 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Resident Evil 4 takes my number one spot followed by Gears of War. And when you used blasters and guns in the Jedi Knight games didn't the camera go into a first-person view as opposed to the third-person view that you had with the lightsaber? That's what it did in Jedi Knight II anyway.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 04:11 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

When I wrote especially at a distance, it sounded obvious but i mentioned especially cause you can boomerang throw lightsabers significantly far, as well. Just not as far as a shot'll go.

i'm extremely familiar with the jedi knight games but i hardly ever used anything other than the sabre...it was just as easy to deflect shots til you got up close...or use jedi speed to get to the enemy quickly

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 05:24 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Socom 2 online was very fun

TGFwashere

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 05:39 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Resident Evil 4.
Gears of War.
Grand Theft Auto 4.

Those three come to mind.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 01:02 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Socom
Socom 2

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 02:03 AM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Resident Evil 4.
Gears of War.
Grand Theft Auto 4.

I forgot the GTA games, ill add those, with San Andreas leading that pack.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 02:30 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Resident Evil 4.
Gears of War.
Grand Theft Auto 4.

You've never even played Gears of War. no expression

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 03:35 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
You've never even played Gears of War. no expression
...Yeah I have. no expression

I friggin TOLD you I have. erm

Granted I was being an ass hole and saying it was overrated to spite you, but I have played it. no expression

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 03:46 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote