KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nhl 09

Nhl 09
Started by: ragesRemorse

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

Nhl 09

So, yeah...,Nhl 09 is uhhh, pretty friggin sweet. Maybe you bastards just don't like Hockey but im surprised there wasn't a thread about this game. I have been a hardcore 2k fan since they started making Hockey games. 2K has always offered more in depth controls and more thorough franchise modes and features. This year, however, NHL 09 has gone back to their simulation style gameplay. Although there are a few problems. The controls are streamlined and more responsive than ever.

EA has also introduced the Be a Pro mode. This is essentially the superstar mode of Madden for NHL. It works much better in this game though. The first time you insert your disc you are forced to create a player. You take this player from the minor league (AHL) to the NHL You control only that player and even have to sit on the bench to lessen your fatigue.

The meat of the game is the online play. You can now play 6 on 6 and even start your own team with up to 50 real players and compete against other teams. The character you create at the very beginning is the player you will play with in the online mode. You also get to upgrade your players attributes. If you like hockey you already have this game. If you have just a slight interest in Hockey you need to have this game. It is the best sports game i have played since...,well, since i can remember. I give it a solid 9.5

My short review-

The new features and play modes are long awaited requests that have been answered in spades. The Be a Pro mode can become quite tedious, considering that you can only control one character and only get 1-2 minute shifts before you have to sit out on the bench. This does offer an element of realism and does, at times, make you feel more attached to the game because you are only controlling your position and not the entire team. At the end of each game you are given a report card grading you on three area's, Team Play, Positioning and stats. It feels very rewarding to see that you have earned an A+ in all of these area's and inspiring to see that you only scored a C+. The gameplay can be very slow, though. HAving to constantly worry about your fatigue and, positioning and team play scores. You will be playing much more conservative than you would like. It is a great feature, especially for it's first appearance. If you play only one or two games at a time the Be a Pro mode can stay very fresh.

The online play is the best aspect about this game. You find or host a room and then choose the position you want to play. Choosing your position is decided by who gets it faster. So, be quick or you will be sitting between the pipes. This brings me to the new Goalie feature. You can play the goalie and online it is suggested that you get on a team that is using and facing off against a human goalie. If you are playing a team with a computer goalie and your team has a human goalie. Your team is most likely going to lose. The goalie position is very hard considering that it is all in real time. There is no slow down feature like in the 2k games, which i think EA should implement next year in their goalie control. The service connection is very acceptable considering that this their first time at having 6 on 6 hockey online. There is no lag but every once in a while while in mid play the game will reset itself. You will be rushing to the net and you are suddenly in the face off circle. Sometimes it gets so bad where the game will reset itself back to the start of the first period. If you play ten games, this might happen 5 times.

My only complaint about the game is the control scheme. The right stick is the stick control. You use it to deke and to direct your shots. Sometimes you will want to shoot but will, instead, break out with a deke. Sometimes you will try to pass the puck left but it goes right. These problems don't hamper the gameplay but are noticable problems

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Sep 18th, 2008 at 07:36 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2008 07:32 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I bought NHL 07 and 08. Love the skill stick mechanic, best thing to happen to the hockey video game since the one-timer.

I'd like to get 09, but I dunno if I'm going to. So many games coming out soon.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2008 09:12 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well, if your having problems with the controls, its all you, not the game.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2008 09:17 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

haha, i thought that too and im sure that has a lot to do with it but i've spoken to at least a dozen people who all have had the same issue's. Like i said though, it's not a compromising problem and the controls do feel natural

Old Post Sep 19th, 2008 04:57 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Picked this up today. Love it. Be a Pro mode is amazing. So much fun.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 03:35 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phat J

theres definitely a learning curve, but it really is you. you'll see after enough time with the stick controls its natural.

great game though, im really happy with it. one question. i havent been able to get online yet and i was wondering, can i take my same guy from the offline be a pro mode that ive built up that cant change positions in that mode and use him online and change his position?

i also read somewhere in the game (i think in the demo) that you can change his position and re-apply all his attributes at any time. is that true?

Last edited by Phat J on Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2008 11:19 PM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

You play with your same character online but the stats system is separate. The only thing that carries over from your be a pro player to your online player is his name, number, appearance and play style (playmake, powerforward, etc..). You do get to upgrade your online players attributes though. Your online player receives pro cards as well, but the cards are awarded by how many games you have played, not achievements. I believe you have a certain number of points you can distribute from the beginning. You get more skill points after 20 games, 65, 105 and so on. Also, when you play online you choose your position before the start of the game.

As for the position change. I'm not entirely sure. I believe that your stats simply carry over when you change your players position. So, if you have already assigned your talent points i dont believe you get to re-assign them.

I love this damn game. My team just made it to division 3. EA really needs to work on their servers though. for every five games i might play. I will have to re-start the game game once.

what style of play has everyone gone with? I am a power forward. That seems to be working out fairly well for me. I had more speed to work with but his passing stats were fairly low.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2008 11:59 PM
Phat J

thats kind of shitty man, i figured it'd be the same guy in all the modes. it only makes sense when you're talking about building stats.

i went for a dangler and im happy with it but im more of a fan of power forwards in the sport. i dont know, i might change it up; try all of them and see what suits me best.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 12:05 AM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Well, other than the stats system is it the same player. I was kind of disappointed when i first realized that the stats you achieve in the Be a Pro mode didn't carry over to online but it does keep it fair. Some people don't have much time to devote to video games. It wouldn't be cool for those people if they're playing at a 69 overall and everyone else is a 95.

What attribute boosts do you get as a dangler?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 03:40 AM
Phat J

i have low 80s in agility except for toughness and good puck handling skills(ranges from 85 to 92). thats pretty much it though, my shot isnt very good. 75 accuracy.

whats the power forward like stats wise and feel wise?

i think the lowest you can be is a 79, thats where it starts you i think. i see what you're saying but they could've just matched you up with players that are around your skill level. no sense in arguing over it though, it is the way it is.

i was just disappointed because ive been putting work in on my guy and now i know its gonna be wasted lol.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 03:53 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I need advice. Im not really a hockey fan, but I enjoy hockey games usually, for a little while. But I really love career modes in sports games, and I been hearing great things about 'Be a Pro'. Is it really that good? And if anyone has played MLB 08, is it better than the 'Road to the Show' mode?

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 10:06 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Be a Pro is great fun.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 10:14 PM
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Phat J
i have low 80s in agility except for toughness and good puck handling skills(ranges from 85 to 92). thats pretty much it though, my shot isnt very good. 75 accuracy.

whats the power forward like stats wise and feel wise?

i think the lowest you can be is a 79, thats where it starts you i think. i see what you're saying but they could've just matched you up with players that are around your skill level. no sense in arguing over it though, it is the way it is.

i was just disappointed because ive been putting work in on my guy and now i know its gonna be wasted lol.

yeah, i started out as 79 on my power forward. As a power forward my defensive awareness and speed were a bit higher than my playmaker.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 12:38 AM
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by @stroFan
I need advice. Im not really a hockey fan, but I enjoy hockey games usually, for a little while. But I really love career modes in sports games, and I been hearing great things about 'Be a Pro'. Is it really that good? And if anyone has played MLB 08, is it better than the 'Road to the Show' mode?

It's essentially the superstar mode from madden but it's hockey. You also get experience points after each game depending on your performance. You play only your position and have to sit on the bench frequently to regain your stamina. You control when the lines change again, so you don't have to wait for your fatigue meter to refill entirely to jump back out on the ice. Scoring goals in be a pro mode feels really fuking good. You actually feel like you have done something when you get an assist or goal in be a pro mode. Until you figure out the games exploits it's really hard to score so you are forced to play real Hockey and play the slots and point. I would recommend playing the be a pro mode in short doses to keep it fresh though.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 12:41 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I scored my first goal in my third game. eek!

Be a Pro is pretty badass. big grin

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:43 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Be A Pro is awesome. Tried the demo and its interesting to see getting happy by intercepting a pass, or taking a shot.

One of the first shots I took was a slapshot that beat the goalie while hitting the inside of the post. Amazing feeling.

Hopefully Madden can improve its superstar mode like this.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 07:37 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phat J

yeah i just played online though and apparently theres a bunch of little cheap goals you can score that ruins the OTP (multi-play) mode. all my xbox buddies were filling me in on it and then we played the number 1 ranked team and they just glitched all these gay little goals on us. the 1 v 1 is good though as far as i can tell.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 10:18 PM
BackFire

I've been doing my dynasty with some sim sliders. Periods at 9 minutes each, slow the game down, play like real hockey, it's tons of fun. I'd recommend it if you haven't tried it yet. You have to really grind to score. Dump the puck in, poke check, play solid D. Great and satisfying.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:46 PM