KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » New version of DS announced

New version of DS announced
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

New version of DS announced

Couldn't find anywhere else this was being discussed, and it seemed significant enough news to warrant its own thread.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...s_dsi_9691.html

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/915/915507p1.html

Vibe has been for a long time that a new model would come so that the DS could store content, mostly so they could extend the Virtual Console onto it.

Shame about Guitar Hero but actually my wrist cannot handle that game anyway...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 08:46 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Eh, lack of GBA slot makes it a gamebreaker for me. I still play FFVI Advance regularly.

Still, some nice additions. Nothing that would make me regret not buying one, though.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 09:14 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I suspect they'll virtual console-ise the GBA games- which will likely make them cheaper, but I doubt you'd be able to get SquareEnix to release much for it as their old games are still profitable for them, as can be seen by the lack of their titles on the Wii VC.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 10:17 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

No GBA slot, no thanks.

I also play a huge amount of GBA games on it. I actually use the DS more for GBA games than DS games.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 11:34 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

If virtual console can come to this DS, I will upgrade.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 12:19 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I think I'll pass on this one.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 02:02 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Re: New version of DS announced

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Couldn't find anywhere else this was being discussed, and it seemed significant enough news to warrant its own thread.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...s_dsi_9691.html

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/915/915507p1.html

Vibe has been for a long time that a new model would come so that the DS could store content, mostly so they could extend the Virtual Console onto it.

Shame about Guitar Hero but actually my wrist cannot handle that game anyway...

Wait, are you saying that with this DSi I can get games on this virtual console much like the Wii? And I would assume that would cover the old Gameboy games. Oh happy days!!

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 02:31 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Wait, are you saying that with this DSi I can get games on this virtual console much like the Wii? And I would assume that would cover the old Gameboy games. Oh happy days!!

Or you could just get an R4. no expression

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 02:46 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Re: Re: New version of DS announced

Originally posted by ESB -1138

Yup! It will Virtual Console the portable games in much the same way the Wii does the mainstream ones.

Which, combined weith the SD card reader, is worth a heck of a lot more than a GBA slot to me.

No idea why it needs a not-that-brilliant camera attached though.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 02:52 PM
Kero_Co
One Track Lover

I shall be purchasing it. You need to Ds's to trade Pokemon anyway <__<

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 03:18 PM
Kero_Co is currently offline Click here to Send Kero_Co a Private Message Find more posts by Kero_Co Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Or you could just get an R4. no expression

Which is highly illegal and thus not allowed to be discussed here.

Anyway, I'm torn between going "Oh, great, more money I need to spend!" and "what, no GBA slot?"

Even Virtual Console on it doesn't quite make up for that lack...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:09 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not if you don't already have many GBA games! Then the Virtual Console is a far more convenient way to get them.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 2nd, 2008 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:14 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I have a dozen or so GBA games around here somewhere...I never touch them so it's no big deal with me.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:19 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Assuming the stuff I want is available on there! And how much it costs. It may very well be cheaper for me to buy the actual games themselves from work, you know.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:20 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well you cannot blame them for selling games that are more expensive than the second hand market (something game publishers are keen to eliminate I think).

But by default VC games are cheaper than their normal counterparts, and it makes a heck of a lot more sense to have all your GBA games on internal memory or an SD card than to have them lying around in dozens of old fashioned printed-circut gamepaks.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:28 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yup! It will Virtual Console the portable games in much the same way the Wii does the mainstream ones.

Which, combined weith the SD card reader, is worth a heck of a lot more than a GBA slot to me.

No idea why it needs a not-that-brilliant camera attached though.
Isn't that like remaking the Wii without the GameCube add-on and putting Game Cube games on VC?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 06:31 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Now, if they had a few USB slots, an excellent OS and phoning capabilities I'd never again need anything else.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 06:37 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I was going to buy a DS next month...

At first I was put off by it not having a GBA slot, but now that I think about it, there's no need for it, I already have a GBA... and the GBA games I don't have, I already have them on my PSP big grin

... and the VC's are a good idea, you can carry hundreds of games on one SD card

No USB/MIniUSB slot, hmm..., I guess Nintendo tries to keep piracy to a minimum, though it would have convenient to have one

Does this thing have two camera lens? it looks that way (big one on the outside, and smaller one on the hinge inside)

so, should I wait for this till next year? or not
I like Guitar Hero DS, so this one could be a problem...

Originally posted by lord xyz
Isn't that like remaking the Wii without the GameCube add-on and putting Game Cube games on VC?

Sony sort of did the same thing with the PS3.... except no PS2 downloads erm

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 07:12 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I don't see a point to the camera in the DS.

Useless gimmick.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 07:37 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I don't see a point to the camera in the DS.

Useless gimmick.
You can take pictures with it.

Glad I could sort that out for you.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 08:24 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote