KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3

Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3
Started by: Wil7

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...alo_120108.html

Tell me what you thought of the video.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 12:06 AM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

This is actually going on right now in the Gears of War 2 thread.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 12:07 AM
General G is currently offline Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Gears 2 is better. Are people actually serious about this?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 12:19 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Yeah were serious. You want to fight about it?

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 12:30 AM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Toshiru
I has a titlez

GoW2 wins in campaign but Halo 3 wins in Multiplayer.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 12:32 AM
Toshiru is currently offline Click here to Send Toshiru a Private Message Find more posts by Toshiru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mr.blanka
GoW2 wins in campaign but Halo 3 wins in Multiplayer.

Obviously.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 01:20 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

I personally like Gears 2 better.

Although I know MANY people who prefer Halo 3 over Gears. It is but a matter of preference.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 02:53 AM
General G is currently offline Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I prefer Gears in general. it's a better game.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 03:37 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

Of course I like Halo 3 better but let me just explain why:

As far as the graphics go, gears obviously beats the crap out of Halo. Even if both games did come out at the same time Gears would still easily win, however Halo's environments are better IMO. In Halo 3 literally every single level has something different to look at while Gears 2 felt remarkably similar to the first game with the exception of the sunken city and the GIANT WORM!!! I felt that particularly in the second to last act in Gears 2, the underground areas just got boring and repetitive. Thats just my opinion, and that does not mean at all that I disliked the levels in gears, I just thought that Halos were better.

I think it's a complete joke that Gears won the best story category. I didn't even know Gears had one to begin with. And why is everyone praising the game for Dom's story with his wife Maria? It sucked.
Everytime a cutscene starts it show's Dom holding up his picture and looking sad, and then finally while he's underground he decides "hey, why don't I randomly ask this old guy if he knows maria?"

So he does and look at that! He knows Maria! What a coincedence!!!! And then Dom finds her and she dies. Boo hoo

Maybe I would have felt some emotion if I actually gave a crap about Maria, but I don't. And Dom's acting had something to be desired (not terrible though for a video game looking back) In Halo 3, Johnson's death did actually make me sad. I knew that guy for 3 entire games spanning over 6 years, so when he finally died I was sad/pissed. However I did like the idea that Dom had to shoot his wife, with Marcus walking away as the gun was shot. That was a nice effect.

The music is good in Gears but absolutely superb in Halo. I was actually really impressed this time around too by gears. In fact as soon as I turned on the game the first thing I noticed was the main theme playing in the background as I signed in. But even though it improved, I have yet to see any composer (in video games) beat Martin O'Donells insane score

If IGN got anything wrong I think it would actually have to be the gameplay. While I personally enjoy Halo's gameplay more, it makes absolutely no sense to even be comparing the two. Gears is a third person tactical shooter while Halo is a run and gun (while still being slightly tactical) first person shooter. Obviously Gears is a bit slower and almost repetitive considering the shoot - take cover - shoot - take cover style of gameplay, but thats every 3rd person shooter for you. If anything, the brilliant idea of having a chainsaw bayonet on the bottom of the lancer should have made this category a tie, but whatever. Halo must have twice the amount of weapons and countless ways of killing people such as dual weilding, sniping, vehicles, rockets, assault rifles, and the spartan lazer to name a few... as opposed to gears where most people stick to either the lancer, shotgun, or sniper. Again that's all preference and really shouldn't, hell... can't be compared. Well unless we're talking about multiplayer.

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 03:54 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

I wanna rip your post apart...I don't however have the time...

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 03:59 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Halo 3 actually has a story "line" as opposed to random ass encounters or tiny subplots that attempt to make a real one.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 04:51 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Double post

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 04:51 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Spartan005

I think it's a complete joke that Gears won the best story category.

I am too since there is no story....

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 04:52 AM
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by Nactous
Halo 3 actually has a story "line" as opposed to random ass encounters or tiny subplots that attempt to make a real one.

It all depends on how far into the story your looking into, you search deeper into Gears' and you'll find a nice enough one for the shooter it is, although of course lol it won't be much, Halo does have a better story stick out tongue

But Halo's can be overly simplified just like Gears' can also. So really it depends on how far you look into it erm

But for me, Halo's story is better, but both can be utterly simplified into crap or both can be over expanded.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 05:02 AM
General_Iroh
White Guy

Ugh don't exactly like the guy giving all the judging there lol. I gotta say I disagree with almost all of his stuff... erm I'd give graphics to Gears, sound to Gears (simply because other than the background music in Halo 3 Gears sounds better...), Story would go to Halo, gameplay to gears, feature set to Halo and Multiplayer I have no clue, simply because I don't like Halo and I like Gears but so many bugs prevent Gears from reaching the pinnacle of its ability.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 05:36 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would say that that the concept of "forge mode" in itself puts Halo's multiplayer above Gear's.

Last edited by Final Blaxican on Dec 4th, 2008 at 05:44 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 05:42 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
I would say that that the concept of "forge mode" in itself puts Halo's multiplayer above Gear's.

Yeah but you pretty much have to be in a private match to use it don't you?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 05:46 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction, when they have become attached to an anonymous marine in a green space suit, who does absolutely nothing to develop any emotional attachment to him.

Master Chief is the kind of "hero" little boys would have posters of on their wall. Otherwise known as the kind of hero you grow out of. I can sympathise with Dom's situation, couldn't give a shit about Master Chief.

Gears has as much of a story as Halo, neither of them are brilliant. The only reason people are praising either is because they might have PERSONALLY got something out if it, neither is particularly complex or profound.

You being more attached to Halo's Johnson (There has been no truer wording) doesn't mean the story was better, it means you're a sap.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 06:05 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Menetnashté
Yeah but you pretty much have to be in a private match to use it don't you?

Yeah.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 06:16 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction,-AC

That's all there is though, and That's sad.

"The wait is over."

Last edited by Nactous on Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:14 PM