KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Should there be exclusives?

Should there be exclusives?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 5 62.50%
Nope 3 37.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Kennedyward

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

Well exclusives had been overatted for quite a while now. I'm starting to give up seeing the point in this.

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 11:02 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

No.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 11:08 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

If the people making the exclusives want that, I guess so. I don't really see the point, though.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 11:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:23 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I fail to see the point, but well developers enter contracts, they have to do the best to make the most money, personally i would like to see multi platform releases, but there always has to be exclusive games to draw people to specific consoles.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:33 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

NO exclusives you might as well have one console...

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:35 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nactous
NO exclusives you might as well have one console...
Not really, then the Console producers would actually have to work to get their customers. And the consoles would get cheaper and better.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:37 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
would get cheaper and better.

That's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:41 AM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Exclusives are a good deal for console makers. A genuinely good game generates interest in their console if the game will only be available there. Really, the only time exclusivity is detrimental is when the game fails to reach the numble of expected sales.

But going cross-platform costs extra in money and man-hours, so you have to be sure the other platform will generate the sales to negate those losses. Not to mention developers usually get a certain amount extra for the exclusivity deal.

It all comes down to what makes the gamemakers more money.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:41 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

That's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

Then you probably don't understand even the most basic concepts of economics.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:46 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, im afraid you don't. Nothing good can be cheap my friend.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:47 AM
Bardock42

No, im afraid you don't. Nothing good can be cheap my friend.

That's quite nonsensical. As "good", as well as "cheap", are subjective.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 12:48 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exclusives serve only to continue this mythical and ever-retarded idea that loyalty to a company is necessary.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 01:12 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Exclusives are only useful for settling "my console can beat up your console"

If anybody likes games, every game should go multiplatform.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 05:05 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I think many are missing a point here.

Exclusives are not for the benefit of the players. The deals are entirely concerning the game developers and the console makers. If a console company determines that a particular game (or particular studio) will move consoles, they may seek an exclusivity deal to make sure it moves only their consoles. If a game studio decides the terms and/or profits of the exclusivity deal will outweigh the possible losses from other consoles, they may agree to such a deal.

It's not about the gamers. It's about profit.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 07:30 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by General Kaliero

Exclusives are not for the benefit of the players. The deals are entirely concerning the game developers and the console makers. If a console company determines that a particular game (or particular studio) will move consoles, they may seek an exclusivity deal to make sure it moves only their consoles. If a game studio decides the terms and/or profits of the exclusivity deal will outweigh the possible losses from other consoles, they may agree to such a deal.

I think it is clear to everyone that it is about money, after all, most things are. I think the question is more whether it even makes financial sense, in the present time. I'd also say that pressure from the console manufacturers might play a big part in the existence of exclusives. Of course the question is also how much more it costs to produce for a different console and how much more money the game would make if it was on two consoles. On the other hand, just looking at it as a layman, I'd assume that with Console Sales relatively evenly split (as opposed to last generation), any successful game, would likely profit more if they would go multiplatform, but, maybe, the risk involved is what puts them off.

Finally, there's also the view of some consumers that exclusives are for some reason a good thing, which I can't quite explain to myself except with the assumption that it is a misguided pride in one console over another, likely, because you happen to own it.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 01:12 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by General Kaliero

The question that was asked wasn't if exclusives are good or not in regards with consoles makers, but if there should be exclusives.

The only way I can answer that as a gamer and as a gamer, I cant think of any good reason for exclusive games. As a developer, it makes sense to have their game go on multiple platforms. It increases profits. As a console maker, I would think its bad because they would have make one kick ass platform to persuade other people to buy it.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 03:18 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NENF3P
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zack Fair
No.
Ditto.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 03:57 PM
NENF3P is currently offline Click here to Send NENF3P a Private Message Find more posts by NENF3P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I dont really care, so long as all the quick shitty cash in games remain exclusive to Wii. stick out tongue

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 04:00 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by @stroFan
I dont really care, so long as all the quick shitty cash in games remain exclusive to Wii. stick out tongue

Amen!

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 6th, 2008 04:01 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote