KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » FRD closes their doors!

FRD closes their doors!
Started by: Neo Darkhalen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

FRD close there doors!

Apparently independent British based company, Free Radical Design have shut the doors for good, after the failure of Haze loosing the Star Wars Battlefront III contract and how the economy is right now it's a shame to see them go, the main point on my mind is now what will happen to there Timesplitters series; considering there was supposed to be a 4th one in production, here are some links about it.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/h...il/article.html
http://kotaku.com/5113037/free-radical-shuts-down
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nancial-trouble
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...he-Plug-UPDATED

While I don't see anything on there website right now, this could still be a possible rumor however with all these articles and there recent predicament it wouldn't be a far off bet to say that they have indeed closed down.

This happened on the 18th December 2008. (Apparently)

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 21st, 2008 at 01:55 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 01:40 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Are you sure? They were in production of a game right now.

"A new project for next-gen consoles by LucasArts and developer Free Radical, the makers of the TimeSplitters franchise."

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/849/849967.html

Surely Lucasarts would have the funding needed for a new project to keep the developers with jobs?

Last edited by Hazardous on Dec 21st, 2008 at 04:30 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 04:25 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Haze did suck badly. I'm actually now glad that they didn't make BattleFront3 because that would've sucked too.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 07:34 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: FRD close there doors!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MIŠT
Are you sure? They were in production of a game right now.

"A new project for next-gen consoles by LucasArts and developer Free Radical, the makers of the TimeSplitters franchise."

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/849/849967.html

Surely Lucasarts would have the funding needed for a new project to keep the developers with jobs?

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
after the failure of Haze; loosing the Star Wars Battlefront III contract

They lost the contract.

And yes it is official, they have closed down.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Haze did suck badly. I'm actually now glad that they didn't make BattleFront3 because that would've sucked too.

I don't see how one bad game could suddenly make them awful, Timesplitters is a great game series (or at least was) with all 3 games being one of the top 8 highest rated shooting games on PS2.

Second sight wasn't exactly bad either, they just dropped the ball with Haze, which goes to show one bad game can indeed kill a company, although I think loosing the contract to Star wars and the fact they couldn't find a publisher for TS4 may have helped end them.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 12:41 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Factor Fire is out of business too.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 06:09 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

They have'nt been shutdown the company has only gone into administration.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 07:46 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Kazenji
They have'nt been shutdown the company has only gone into administration.

In other words, they have closed down, Doake and Ellis have gone off to make a new company with 50 handpicked FRD employees, it wasn't exactly a big company so I doubt FRD could come back from there troubles.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 01:08 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

And here I thought only Midway had troubles.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 08:07 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Nemesis X
And here I thought only Midway had troubles.

Midway still exist?

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 12:30 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by S_D_J
Midway still exist?

Not for much longer.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 12:49 AM
Peach
mordrem

Sorry, but I had to edit the thread title. The typos were driving me insane stick out tongue

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 12:54 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

In other words, they have closed down,

Ummm no

this is what administration means

quote:
Administration is a procedure under the insolvency laws of a number of common law jurisdictions which functions as a rescue mechanism for insolvent companies and allows them to carry on running their business. The process — an alternative to liquidation — is often known as going into administration.

So pretty much they're still going.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 01:01 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Kazenji
Ummm no

this is what administration means

So pretty much they're still going.

But everyone left the company.

And yes i am well aware what Administration means, but the fact still stands that most of the employees are filing CV's to other British based company's while Doake and Ellis have gone off to found there new company Pumpkin beach.

I would like to see how FRD comes back from this when it's workers have jumped ship.

I understand what you're saying from a techincal and buisness view they are still going, but if the workers have already left, and the two major heads of the company have gone to make a new company with 50 hand picked FRD staff members then it's pretty much dead.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 02:25 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 02:19 PM
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

Originally posted by Nactous
Factor Fire is out of business too.

Factor 5

also adding to some other posts. i read that most of Free Radical or whomever was behind Crackdown formed a new studio called Ruffian Games and only formed together to specifically make Crackdown 2

Old Post Dec 26th, 2008 01:23 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

But everyone left the company.

And yes i am well aware what Administration means, but the fact still stands that most of the employees are filing CV's to other British based company's while Doake and Ellis have gone off to found there new company Pumpkin beach.

I would like to see how FRD comes back from this when it's workers have jumped ship.

I understand what you're saying from a techincal and buisness view they are still going, but if the workers have already left, and the two major heads of the company have gone to make a new company with 50 hand picked FRD staff members then it's pretty much dead.

Sorry i just thought you were thinking of the other adminstration something like computer adminstration gone off to do that and stopped making games.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2008 01:39 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dont think this looks "sucky" at all;

http://kotaku.com/5131846/leaked-st...e?autoplay=true

"The wait is over."

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 05:01 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

They're pushing it with playable gungans and ewoks...

The lightsaber fight cutscene looked badass though.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 02:35 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tom_servo

Originally posted by MIŠT
They're pushing it with playable gungans and ewoks...

The lightsaber fight cutscene looked badass though.

Playable Gungans and Ewoks? That's beyond fail.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 01:39 AM
tom_servo is currently offline Click here to Send tom_servo a Private Message Find more posts by tom_servo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote