KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Heavy Rain

Just when I thought there wasn't gonna be another game like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain appears. It's being made by the same team who made Indigo Prophecy but this time, it's not about saving the world or anything like that. Subtitle for this game is The Origami Killer. Heavy Rain is an M rated game where you play the roles of different people to shift the story as you like to see it. The only character that had been shown playable was some female reporter.

Plot for this game is about a serial killer called the origami killer, killing his victims and leaving an origami next to the body. The game is pretty much about trying to solve the mystery about these gruesome deaths and to find out who the killer is.

The game is a PS3 exclusive and will be released March 24, 2009.

To anyone who's an Indigo Prophecy fan and has a PS3, you may want to buy this game as soon as it's out.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 01:31 AM
Nemesis X is online now! Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I've been watching this for a while, all I can say is good luck, looks like the PS3 needs a good exclusive game.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 01:44 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Icy Ninja
Ninja Sith

I really enjoyed IP. I'll be looking forward to this.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 01:49 AM
Icy Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Icy Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Icy Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

sounds great. I liked IP a lot

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 01:55 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I too really liked Fahrenheit, I just hope this game makes it way to multiplat or PC, would very much love to play it.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 01:58 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Maybe PC, but I think its staying on the PS3.

Looking forward to this. Looks absolutely stunning.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 03:37 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
looks like the PS3 needs a good exclusive game.

I thought they did have one blink.............MGS4 ???

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 04:37 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I saw that video on Joystiq where the woman was searching this house and found a dozen female corpses in a room. Next, the killer arrives back home and the lady has to get out of there. There was a split screen showing her and the killer. Music was rising very intense like, she had to avoid a squeeking floorboard so he wouldn't hear her, and she managed to escape on a motorbike. That vid nearly scared the crap out of me. There was a female corpse that was stuffed and kinda looked like a mannequien. That's ****** up.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 05:13 AM
Nemesis X is online now! Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
I thought they did have one blink.............MGS4 ???

yeah, Ps3 has it's fair share of exclusives...,

little big planet
Uncharted
Gran turismo
Resistance
Ratchet and Clank

and the upcoming Exclusives,

God of War
Kill Zone 2
infamous
Socom 4
White night chronicles
Final Fantasy Versus
Wardevil

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 08:07 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's popular to shit on Sony these days.

If you like Playstation games like Rachet, Metal Gear and those games, then the PS3 is a viable platform. The idea that it doesnt have games is retarded. It just that the 360 has most of those games too, but if somebody likes playing Playstation games then why wouldnt they get it?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 08:43 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Are we gettin a little off topic here?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 10:42 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

A little but its about the PS3, somewhat relevant.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 11:04 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

We're talkin about Heavy Rain. Talking about different PS3 games other than Heavy Rain is off topicness.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 11:21 PM
jinXed by JaNx

come on partner, how much more can you say about a game that only has a teaser trailer out.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 12:42 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

What the heck? I once called Gamestop about Heavy Rain and they said it'll be out March 24. Well the month and day has passed and still no word about the game. I called Gamestop again and asked if they have it and they said no. I asked them when it would be out and their answer was "We don't know." Are you friggin kidding me?

Old Post Apr 13th, 2009 11:21 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Looks like it's not going to be my type of game. Wouldn't be able to play it anyway since I don't have a PS3, but not a big loss it seems.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2009 11:32 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

I loved Indigo Prophecy (Except the whole Purple Clan thing, that started getting a bit preposterous) and am looking forward to Heavy Rain.

I just like the fact that these games are so strongly based on story rather than action. Which, of course, story is the most important aspect of any game...

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 02:12 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I hate this game soo much. Why does it have to look so good and be an exclusive?

There's been a lot of new footage lately;
GTTV interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/gametra...p;ch=1&sd=0
Gameplay demo part I: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e...eavy-rain/49553
Gameplay demo part II: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e...eavy-rain/49554

And some of the info is pretty interesting. No game over screen upon death, if your character dies, he/she is dead for the rest of the game and the story adapts (unless all four die, then it's game over).

Gotten a huge urge to replay Fahrenheit again, or well, the first 3/4 of Fahrenheit.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 26th, 2009 09:43 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Pre-E3 hands on:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/985/985796p1.html

quote:
May 22, 2009 - Over the past year, we've had the chance to see bits and pieces of Heavy Rain a couple times, most recently back in December. Our looks at the game have been shrouded in mystery for the most part, giving us glimpses at how the game looks and how it'll work from a macro level, but details on exactly who these people are and how the characters were tied together were left in the dark.

That all changed back in April when I had the chance to not only see an extended act from the game but also get my hands on the title for the first time. To say Heavy Rain is an ambitious title would be an understatement, and to say it isn't unique would be a flat-out lie. What Quantic Dream is crafting here could turn out to be nothing short of an instant classic if all the pieces come together correctly. It'll take us more than a single play-through to figure that out, however, as the game isn't designed to be a linear tale by any stretch of the means. Instead, it's something meant to be experienced in unique ways by different people each time you go through the game.

The fights play out differently depending on how you do.
The biggest example of this has to do with the four characters and their part in the game. Each of the four main characters is in some way tied to or searching for the Origami Killer, a murderer who leaves an origami bird at each crime scene. Each of these characters plays out their part in the game in unique scenes, with the title swapping between them chapter by chapter (of which there are currently 60-plus). We're told that the characters are exclusive to their individual scenes, meaning that for the bulk of the game, they won't directly interact with one another. I wouldn't be surprised if they come together at the end, but for the most part, they all make up separate parts of the story.

The interesting bit here is that each character, and moreover each scene, plays out in a unique manner, and each one gives you a different perspective on the story. But as I said, the game isn't meant to be played in a linear fashion, at least in the normal sense of "linear" in terms of game design. If a character dies, they're dead, but the game doesn't end. It simply goes on with you continuing as the remaining characters; you just miss out on the dead peoples' scenes. If you want to get the full experience of the tale you'll want to do your best to keep them alive until the finale, but should death become them, it'll only work to make your story more personal.

When you're about to be eaten by a car compactor, you need to think fast.
My time with the game was spent in a scene (set somewhere in the middle of the game) starring Norman Jayden, a detective on the trail of the Origami Killer. As with everything else in Heavy Rain, Jayden isn't a simple character. While he's one of the good guys and is doing everything in his power to hunt down and stop the killer, he also has a drug addiction that he's hiding from the force. His vice is called triptocaine, and as he's trying to kick his habit, he sometimes suffers from withdrawals and has to resolve to feeding the monkey to keep it together. This can directly affect his scenes in big ways, which I'll come back to in a bit.

The setup for the scene is that the police have determined that the Origami Killer had driven a car at some point that came from a chop shop run by a man named Mad Jacky. His chop shop doubles as a junkyard, so Jayden heads there for some answers.

... read the whole thing...

E3 Update:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/991/991334p1.html

Madison Jade is introduced and promptly grabs a man where it hurts.

quote:
June 3, 2009 - Heavy Rain is on display here at E3 2009, though we've already seen all of the content running at Sony's booth. Fortunately, David Cage showed us a new scene during a breakout session for the game today.

The new scene starred Madison Jade, a photographer with a bad case of insomnia. It turns out that she can only fall asleep at motels, and from what I understand, she doesn't know why. One of her ventures to a hotel to finally catch up on sleep puts her deep into the story of the Origami Killer.

The sequence on display today had Madison heading to a club called the Blue Lagoon in search of a man named Paco to find out who he rented a certain apartment to. This was a very different environment than anything that we'd seen from the game before as the place was packed to the gills with people dancing, drinking and what have you. As Madison made her way through the crowd, she shifted and twisted her body to get past the tightly-packed people. The contextual animation here was pretty cool.

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
She asks a bartender about Paco who tells her that he's the owner of the club and sitting over at the VIP table. Madison approaches Paco but is stopped by his guard who tells her that he doesn't want any visitors. After looking around for a minute for a new idea, you notice that a girl dancing on a riser near the table gets called over. It seems that Paco liked the way she looked and had his guard flag her down. So, Madison tries the same technique.

Getting up on the riser, the demo-er (I wasn't able to actually play this section myself) played a quick-time event sequence to make her bust a move. After a quick dance, she notices that Paco isn't paying attention so she decides that maybe she needs to attract more attention to herself.

After making her way to the bathroom, you then see her looking at herself in the mirror and contextual action icons appear near her hair, shirt, skirt and face. Using all of these will have her put on makeup, fuss up her hair a little bit, undo a couple buttons on her shirt and rip the lower half off of her skirt.

Heading back to the riser and performing another dance, Paco takes note and calls her over. After a quick conversation, Madison convinces him to take her some place a little more quiet. Heading up a set of nearby stairs and into his office, Madison lags behind a bit and checks her purse for a gun that she's brought along while giving herself a bit of encouragement (she was clearly a little afraid).

Heading into the office, Paco takes her purse away and puts it on a chair before leading her over to a couch, saying that the purse would only get in the way. Madison clearly becomes worried as she no longer has easy access to her gun. When Paco asks her to start dancing, you get a choice of what to say.

The person playing chose to say that there must have been a misunderstanding and that she was just going to go. Paco didn't like the sound of this, pulled out a gun and said that he was tired of wasting his time. Madison is then forced to strip down to her bra and panties while trying to figure out the best thing to do.

The way the demonstration played out was that she began to dance for him, turned around and bent over, and stealthily grabbed a lamp before smashing it across his face. Paco then wakes up soon thereafter, strapped to a chair.

Madison then begins to ask him who he rented the apartment to, but he's reluctant to talk at first. Just then, a guard comes to the door to check on him. The option that the demoing player went with had Madison begin to loudly moan like the two of them were having a good time. He listens for a second before leaving, allowing Madison to get back to the questioning.

The number of people in the club is impressive.
After Paco continues to be uncooperative, Madison grabs him in the balls and begins to squeeze. As he continues to hesitate, she squeezes harder. To do this, you need to continue to hold the first (and subsequently second) button while you press and hold the next one. Once he finally gives in and talks, she takes off and walks right out of the club.

While there weren't really any new gameplay mechanics to be seen here, the cool thing is that the setting and general feeling to the scene was a good bit different than what we'd seen before. Rather than being action-heavy, this was much more exploratory.

David Cage mentioned that they're planning on unveiling the four main characters one-by-one. We've now seen Norman Jayden and Madison Jade. The third will be unveiled at Gamescom in Germany, and the fourth at TGS in Tokyo later this year, so stay tuned for more on Heavy Rain in the coming months.

OMG!

this game sounds amazing!

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 04:56 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

The E3 gameplay demo was amazing, the sheer number of animations, choices, and other things were stunning.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 06:35 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote