KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Cutting of Life Bars

Cutting of Life Bars
Started by: KakashiKun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

Question Cutting of Life Bars

I heard that health bars in video games were going to be taken out of most games. Is this true? And if so how would that effect you? It would depend on the game for me.

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2009 06:18 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Worked for fight night round 3...will work for anything.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2009 07:04 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Life bars will always be in games, although not necessarily "bars"

For example, in Gears.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2009 08:11 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KakashiKun
I heard that health bars in video games were going to be taken out of most games. Is this true? And if so how would that effect you? It would depend on the game for me.

I like health bars but that's just me being old school I guess, anythings better then regenerating health though.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2009 08:16 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
anythings better then regenerating health though.

Speaking of which.. I think RE5 did Life pretty good.. you dont run around bunny hopping with 20 hp left.. instead you're just a limping mess until you receive some kind of aid from an ally

granted it might not work for something like a fighting game.. but I think it was a step in the right direction

As for the question at hand.. I much prefer to have to look at my characters body language to determine his condition rather than a lifebar

when lifebars are present you wind up not being afraid and knowing how many more hits you can take before you die.. whereas if its not present , you're far less likely to put yourself in danger..

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:23 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I honestly wouldn't give a shit either way.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:31 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Some games need life bars.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:35 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I for one rather have no life bars in my games.

No life bars breeds experimentation, and aggressiveness. Whenever I have a game like that I always act more aggressive because if do get hit, you just take some cover and heal. I like it much better than life bars where if you have 20 percent health, you just stand far away and pick away at them, or in my case, reload the quicksave.

I can understand why people like them and that's cool, but I always find I enjoy myself alot more when I don't need to worry about conserving my health.

The perfect medium could be having a health bar, but once you get past a certain point, the health only saves up to that level. Ninja Gaiden 2, Riddick and some other games I just recently played had that. It was pretty cool also.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:50 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Speaking of which.. I think RE5 did Life pretty good.. you dont run around bunny hopping with 20 hp left.. instead you're just a limping mess until you receive some kind of aid from an ally

Its been like that since RE2.

IMO Dead Space did an incredible job.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 05:17 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

Originally posted by jaden101
Worked for fight night round 3...will work for anything.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.
Originally posted by Quincy
Life bars will always be in games, although not necessarily "bars"

For example, in Gears.

very true

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 07:59 PM
Sappho is currently offline Click here to Send Sappho a Private Message Find more posts by Sappho Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like it without life bars, not that ime against them but it does seem to me a little more realistic and more immersive, seeing a green bar as others have said may make you change your tactics from a gamers perspective, but not part of the universe so perhaps its easier for competitive games but for the imersion factor, a green bar or numbers is imo a drawback. I think if the bar is in the form of something in-game like in Deadspace for example ,I think its better although ime all for no life bars in games like horrors, survival or perhaps adventure/hack and slash action like GOW becuase in these games it would be better if the character was weakened slightly when taking damaged, or took on a more gory appearance.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 08:04 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Even though the game was dog shit overall, i liked what the latest far cry did. As well as Metal Gear 3. It's a neat concept having to heal yourself in practical ways, making splints, finding herbs or using hypo needles.

Although, i do have to say that i prefer games that don't require you to heal at all. I'm not sure exactly when it started, probably around the emergence of the "next gen" era but i like being able to just stop for a few seconds until my health has been regained. It might be neat to see a combination of this style of healing coupled with the metal gear and Far cry system. Unless you are dealt a critical blow (broken limb) you can simply rest for a second to regain your health but if you do sustain a critical blow you must find a way to heal yourself using environmental resources, rather than a med pack.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 09:46 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I'm just not sure why they allow alot of dismemberment or bullet stun and such for Non-Player Characters (Like the regenerators in RE4), but when it comes to multiplayer, games takes on an entirely new face, and doesnt apply what happened in the single player experience to the other human players

Like if RE4 had a deathmatch.. I doubt you'd be able to shoot someone in the leg to take them down or even make them stagger.. or just completely blow off their arm and have them bleed to death and the like..

I'd like to see games where the character you're playing as is more realistically vulnerable (getting limbs severed or broken and such, but still able to continue as their life trickles away).. but I guess we have a long way to go before people experiment with that kind of life system

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 10:55 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'd like to see games where the character you're playing as is more realistically vulnerable (getting limbs severed or broken and such, but still able to continue as their life trickles away).. but I guess we have a long way to go before people experiment with that kind of life system

Metal Gear Solid 3 does that.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 02:28 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I like health bars but that's just me being old school I guess, anythings better then regenerating health though.

The problem with regenerating health is that it makes a game too easy. You almost get killed, you hide somewhere.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 04:54 AM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
The problem with regenerating health is that it makes a game too easy. You almost get killed, you hide somewhere.

Is that a bad thing though? You don't think it's frustrating, always having to worry about health packs? Health packs, i think, still work for certain types of games but when it comes to a balls to the wall FPS i like not having to worry about my health. There is nothing i hate more than having to repeat a stage over and over again just because i can't find enough health or i didn't conserve enough health. That type of shit really brings a game down and takes me out of the game. Don't you think it's tedious when you have to constantly be on the look out for health packs in high action FPS games?

I think back on FPS games for the PS2 and such. I may have played those games longer than i play current FPS games but it's because i always had to replay an entire god damn stage when i died from missing health pickups laughing out loud mad

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 07:12 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I feel the same way. No health bar promotes better action, and riskier moves.

With health bars, your not always so inclined to rush the enemies defense knowing that if you lose so much health, you pretty much screw yourself and you probably restart.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 07:15 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Kazenji
Metal Gear Solid 3 does that.

And Fallout 3. IMO Fallout 3 got it spot on. What with vision/accuracy/movement being hindered if your limbs are broken.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Is that a bad thing though? You don't think it's frustrating, always having to worry about health packs? Health packs, i think, still work for certain types of games but when it comes to a balls to the wall FPS i like not having to worry about my health. There is nothing i hate more than having to repeat a stage over and over again just because i can't find enough health or i didn't conserve enough health. That type of shit really brings a game down and takes me out of the game. Don't you think it's tedious when you have to constantly be on the look out for health packs in high action FPS games?

QFT.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Last edited by Zack Fair on Mar 1st, 2009 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 07:15 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote