KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why did you buy a Wii?

I bought it primarily to.............
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Play Nintendo games and this generation games 6 85.71%
play virtual consol (relive the 8 & 16 bit era) 1 14.29%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Why did you buy a Wii?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

Why did you buy a Wii?

Wii sales are astronomical. Probably going to be going down as one of the greatest, most selling consols of all time.

But it is a well known fact, and no joke that wii software sales are seriously in the pooper with no sight in recovering againts the other two guys

Begs the question:

"why did you buy a wii?"

Personally im going to get one to primarily play NES,SNES games with a very small hand full of n64 and games cube.
The only newer titles ill get would be zelda, mario, and metroid and thats it.

If i want to play medal of honor im gonna do it on my PS3

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 06:41 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

cause my parents liked some of the games[like rock band an wii sports] that go with it
and also so we can get wii fit and work out

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 06:50 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There's a bit of s software drought for the Wii right now, which is a pain, but luckily it has coincided with the first few PC titles I have been interested in for a while.

Anyway- unfortunately your base statement is wrong. Wii software sales are actually pretty good. They are nowhere near as proportionately strong as its hardware dominance, but your implication that the other two are crushing Wii sales is simply not so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 06:51 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

it appears that the games are getting better though

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 06:54 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Bought it for first party titles - Mario, Zelda, so on. The system was worth it just for Mario Galaxy.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 10:28 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Bought it for first party titles - Mario, Zelda, so on. The system was worth it just for Mario Galaxy.

I agree. LOZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid Corruption, and Super Paper Mario, too, were awesome games. I just wish that the titles offered via the Virtual Console were more appeasing nowadays.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 10:45 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Same as Backfire, Zelda and Mario.

Do you mean greatest in terms of sales?

I assume that because even though Wii could be one of the highest selling consoles out there, its not the greatest.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 10:49 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Wii is causing a massive shift in what developers make. It just takes time to catch up. The Wii has opened up the games market to an entirely new type of "gamer" and i use that term loosly. Even my 59 year old mother talked to me today about getting a Wii and a DS so she can get Wii fit and brain training. Those 2 things hit the nail on the head in relation to the type of applications that developers will be looking for in future.

It will take a massive shift in the way developers create their ideas for games that might see the industry employ who different areas of staff. What i mean by that is that currently the games industry is populated by people who grew up playing games. They then remake what they played when they were younger only bigger, better and with more bells on.

The games industry now needs to look at the kinds of people who have been buying the Wii and DS for these new apps and start to use a bit of ingenuity in how to make more for these thriving new markets...To do that they'll probably have to employ consultants who know more about the leisure habits of that target market.

The fact that Wii fit sold nearly 4 times as much as Twilight Princess is testament to how the markets are changing.

As for me personally...I got mine for Zelda...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 11:41 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by BackFire

thumb up

sold mine a while ago... but I will definitely buy a new one this year, there are some games coming out that I'm interested in

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 03:29 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Re4 Wii
Smash Brawl
No More Heroes
Mario Galaxy
Met Prime 3
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii

wii got some awesome games

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 04:28 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Link and Samus. Yeah. Also the next Smash Bros.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 04:34 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The next smash bros?

That will be awhile.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 04:45 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Originally posted by Smasandian
The next smash bros?

That will be awhile.

The next at the time, AKA Brawl.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 05:40 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

SSB Brawl was the major reason. Virtual Console, and new Mario games were others.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 05:54 AM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

There were some games for it that I had wanted a lot.

Oddly enough, now that I have one...I think I've played it once. Though in general I haven't been in much of a mood for video games recently.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 06:03 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I bought it for teh lulz.

In my perspective, this console was intended for little kiddos, old retro gamers (ages 25+), and old skool Nintendo fanatics (those who like Mario and Zelda and all the other corny games).

While the two other competing consoles catered for the hardcore gamers who wanted intense graphics and violence. With a few exceptions, of course.

I sure am glad I threw this useless junk away.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Mar 3rd, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 10:13 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by occultdestroyer

In my perspective, this console was intended for little kiddos, old retro gamers (ages 25+), and old skool Nintendo fanatics (those who like Mario and Zelda and all the other corny games).

While the two other competing consoles catered for the hardcore gamers who wanted intense graphics and violence. With a few exceptions, of course.

You're a really bad troll.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 11:25 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The thing about both Wii and DS games of the new model is that they have this tendency to keep selling month afetr month afetr month, which is what is making them top sellers, rather than blasting all their sale time into the first three months after release (though some of them do get supremely strong starts as well).

Wii Fit is a good cse in point there, still selling extremely well. But on the DS, the Brain Training games have done the same thing- but, straddling the divide somewhat, so is Mario Kart DS.

No other console is selling games with such long legs.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 11:30 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Re: Why did you buy a Wii?

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Wii sales are astronomical. Probably going to be going down as one of the greatest, most selling consols of all time.

But it is a well known fact, and no joke that wii software sales are seriously in the pooper with no sight in recovering againts the other two guys

Begs the question:

"why did you buy a wii?"

Personally im going to get one to primarily play NES,SNES games with a very small hand full of n64 and games cube.
The only newer titles ill get would be zelda, mario, and metroid and thats it.

If i want to play medal of honor im gonna do it on my PS3

I bought it in hopes that Nintendo would come out with good games which integrated the motion sensitivity into gameplay, and so that I don't miss out on any Zelda games. I was upset when they came out with very few good games, and went for more gimicky games like "Game party"... I keep it, however, for the virtual console... and so that I don't miss a Zelda game. smile

(those who like Mario and Zelda and all the other corny games).

... ... ... ... ... ... ... Did you just call Zelda corny? ... ... ... ... ... ... ...no expression

Wait... you spent $250 for "teh lulz?"... seems a bit wasteful...

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on Mar 3rd, 2009 at 05:58 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 05:52 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Do you ever have anything new to say? Seriously, you sound like a broken record. Bad troll indeed.

Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
I was upset when they came out with very few good games, and went for more gimicky games like "Game party"

Game Party - as well as the majority of the 'gimmick' games - are not made by Nintendo. They're third-party. Though those are aimed at the core audience more than stuff like Zelda is anyway.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 06:21 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote