KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The difficulty in Games.

The difficulty in Games.
Started by: KakashiKun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

The difficulty in Games.

Are games becomming easier or harder? Or are players getting better or worse?

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 07:01 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

It's up and down for me, but i'm starting to feel like i'm sort of losing my touch in certain geners of games sad

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 07:02 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Easier

today's world
take MGS4 for example. Im lost, or don't know what to do, I call up Otacon or somebody.

circa 1989
Legend of Zelda-im lost or trying to find something, well hopefully I find a friend that knows something, get nintendo power, or dial some 1-900 number

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 08:09 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Depends what you call difficult, I dont think having trouble finding your way in an action oriented game is part of its difficulty, its a fault in the game that the designers did not address properly, on the other hand if it was some sort of maze or puzzle and finding your way was part of the challenge then it would be.

Personalyl i think their getting easier, more and more games have very little punishments for death, in RPGs I just have to either load a save or my character is regenerated with the loss of perhaps a small amount of change. Diablo had a fairly interesting system whereby on higher levels you lose exp if you die and the hardcore options gave some challenge.

I think bosses are getting too easy, In most games I feel the only work done on the boss is not the encounter difficulty itself but more on the graphics and effects to make it seem impressive. I feel sometimes the typical opponents are sometimes harder than bosses. Especially so in God of war games.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 08:49 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Recharging health kind of makes me feel lame some times.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 08:57 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Easier by far.

I'm glad for it.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 10:49 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

It depends some games are getting easier some have optional modes of difficulty and some are getting harder.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 11:35 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Much easier in most cases.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for instance, Jesus J. Christ, I got stuck in the Water Temple, never could figure out wtf I did wrong, and had to restart my game. WW and TP, nothing remotely similar.

Metroid Prime 1, was...INCREDIBLY hard to navigate IMO, 2, not so much.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 11:52 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Easier i would say

I would like more hard games to come out so they would last longer instead of buy a new game and knock it over in a week.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 05:18 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Easier i would say

I would like more hard games to come out so they would last longer instead of buy a new game and knock it over in a week.

I agree.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 12:09 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Smasandian
Easier by far.

I'm glad for it.

I think that's the crux of the issue.

Ever since you no longer needed difficulty for longevity- as games can be either very big or very replayable these days- it is debateable what business games have being actively difficult, as all it means is that the average gamer won't see much of the game.

This gets down to the question of what gaming is for- is it a test or is it a leisure activity?

Final Fantasy is a good game to analyse here. It's almost impossible to not progress in those games from VII onwards; there might be the odd tricky boss but generally the game is more about the experience of going through the storyline than it is some massive gaming challenge.

But then they also tend to put in the stupidly difficult extras to also please the hardcore crowd.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 3rd, 2009 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 12:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I think the newcomers to gaming affect the difficulty and quality of gaming these days

so honestly, as ush said with FF..., I feel that todays games are more leisurely, with the "hardcore" content tacked on as an afterthought

I'd personally like an insanely hard game where the enemies are just as smart as the human player... (notice I said smart, and not cheap broken A.I. that reads your controller inputs -_-)

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 04:12 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
just_man11

very interesting game ,..

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 07:00 PM
just_man11 is currently offline Click here to Send just_man11 a Private Message Find more posts by just_man11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

most games are getting easier. And, in turn, make the gamers that play them worse. Playing online is a different story, as it usually consists of pros and people with no lives(jk)... which would be very good at the game. So if most games have an online function and people keep playing online as much as they do now... then i dont care how easy the game is, online is pretty much learn how to play or look like an ub3r n0oB big grin, and most people pick the former.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2009 05:53 AM
Sappho is currently offline Click here to Send Sappho a Private Message Find more posts by Sappho Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think that's the crux of the issue.

Ever since you no longer needed difficulty for longevity- as games can be either very big or very replayable these days- it is debateable what business games have being actively difficult, as all it means is that the average gamer won't see much of the game.

This gets down to the question of what gaming is for- is it a test or is it a leisure activity?

Final Fantasy is a good game to analyse here. It's almost impossible to not progress in those games from VII onwards; there might be the odd tricky boss but generally the game is more about the experience of going through the storyline than it is some massive gaming challenge.

But then they also tend to put in the stupidly difficult extras to also please the hardcore crowd.

Your right.

It's all the way you play your games. I like experience, and atmosphere and that crazy ninja who can kill me in a second is not an experience, its torture for me. I don't mind difficult sections, but a game like Ninja Gaiden is ridiculous in my mind.

Considering I don't want to, or have the time to practice a single player game for a week just to past the half way mark of the game is too much. I rather spend that playing TF2.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2009 12:34 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

I think they are easier. I seem to remember on the first Hitman games if you failed an important objective the level would just end and you'd have to re-start. It used to annoy me but it made the game a lot more challenging in retrospect. Although it is fun just throwing the rule book out the window and being allowed to go on a rampage.

Just because on some missions you folllow the exact process in killing the targets the level can end very quickly and you get no sense of achievement.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 09:10 AM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Speaking of difficult.

Have MLB 09: The Show. Playing on rookie, with the sliders all the way up for hitting, and pitchin, and the sliders all the way down for hitting and pitching for the AI and I still only get 3 runs a game and usually lose.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 03:27 PM