KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » W40K Games that aren't Dawn of War...

W40K Games that aren't Dawn of War...
Started by: Raoul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

W40K Games that aren't Dawn of War...

Was browsing last night and came across these bits and pieces. Don't know if they've been posted, but...

First, we have Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

A third person combat game that hasn't actually been announced by THQ as yet, but as you'll see in the vid, its already taking shape. It has both melee and ranged combat, and i honestly don't know what to think about it. After reading this article, and this one, and watching this video:

I dunno. It looks gorgeous, first of all. Second, though, it looks like it could be a very, very repetitive game. Being gory, even satisfyingly so, only has so much appeal before it gets old. IF we get large scale battles, with lots of marines and enemies and you in the middle, then i'd definitely give this a look. Like Dynasty Warriors, but cooler.

Also, yes, it looks like he's an Ultramarine. I know some people hate those, but it doesn't bother me. Maybe they'll have unlockable Chapter armour patterns or something.

Lets hope THQ announces it soon.

Second up, is Warhammer 40k: Online

Yes, they are making one, apparently, for release in 2010.

Official Site (a bit bare)

Articles:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/warhamm...502174245201051

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html

Given the type of games that MMORPG's tend to be, the ability to be a space marine, a tau fire warrior/combat suit, an Imperial Guardsman, a Chaos Marine etc, should be a given. And choosing what chapter i'd get to join? Or maybe even create my own? Speculation of course, but i don't see the harm in it. I'd definitely want to look this up...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 07:23 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I heard about the 40k MMO. That could be cool.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 09:47 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
I heard about the 40k MMO. That could be cool.

aye, very much so. though i'm sure i'll be one of the few that picks space marines over chaos, tau or eldar lol...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 10:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I have a feeling that maybe you won't be able to choose such distinct characters.

Could be you choose a faction - emperium, Ork, Eldar, Chaos, and so on. And you start as a nothing and as you level up maybe you work your way into cool rolls.

Like if you start an Emperium character you start as an imperial guard, and as you level up maybe you can go on to be a space marine and so on.

Who knows though.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:03 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BackFire
I have a feeling that maybe you won't be able to choose such distinct characters.

Could be you choose a faction - emperium, Ork, Eldar, Chaos, and so on. And you start as a nothing and as you level up maybe you work your way into cool rolls.

Like if you start an Emperium character you start as an imperial guard, and as you level up maybe you can go on to be a space marine and so on.

Who knows though.

yeah, thats very possible.

*cue childish tantrum about wanting to smite the traitor legions now now now!*

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

THQ are on shaky finanical ground, remember. Projects could get cut. I think the eventual success or otherwise of Age of Reckoning will have a lot to do with that.

The Space Marine game looks somewhat generic; I rememebr seeing an early vid of it, it all being about customised close combat kills.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 8th, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Ushgarak
THQ are on shaky finanical ground, remember. Projects could get cut. I think the eventual success or otherwise of Age of Reckoning will have a lot to do with that.

The Space Marine game looks somewhat generic; I rememebr seeing an early vid of it, it all being about custo ised close combat kills.

you enjoy being a grey cloud, don't you?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Always a good idea to bear in mind all relevant information.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Always a good idea to bear in mind all relevant information.

i know. you know. just, and i know this is difficult, try to show some ENTHUSIASM... stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 8th, 2009 11:54 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dislike the fact that they seem to put an emphasis on using your sword as opposed to a gun in that Space Marine.

Also, it DOES look a lot like Gears of War...

Old Post Mar 9th, 2009 02:10 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Raoul
i know. you know. just, and i know this is difficult, try to show some ENTHUSIASM... stick out tongue

It is EXCEPTIONALLY hard for an MMO to raise my enthusiasm.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 9th, 2009 03:20 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It is EXCEPTIONALLY hard for an MMO to raise my enthusiasm.

even if you got to be a tau battlesuit and battle for the greater good?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 9th, 2009 04:32 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That'd be great if my fellow Tau Commanders weren't called "Eldarsuxmyballs2210".

BtVS

Old Post Mar 9th, 2009 05:37 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That'd be great if my fellow Tau Commanders weren't called "Eldarsuxmyballs2210".

laughing

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 9th, 2009 05:47 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

IGN's first look at Warhammer 40K: Space Marine:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/987/987127p1.html

Plus the video:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...ttle_52709.html

Looks like fun, imo, as long as they find a way to add some variety (maybe add different classes, and such, like assault marines and heavy gunners).

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 28th, 2009 10:36 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

that got my interest

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 28th, 2009 10:54 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Need another trailer that one is'nt working now.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2010 08:48 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 4th, 2010 09:22 AM
Bladewind

I expect both of those games to be good games but I'd say that they'll be horrible 40k games.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2010 03:29 PM
Bladewind is currently offline Click here to Send Bladewind a Private Message Find more posts by Bladewind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Bladewind
I expect both of those games to be good games but I'd say that they'll be horrible 40k games.
I'd say the other way around. The gameplay looks like the most generic God of War-esque shit ever.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2010 11:24 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote