KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best Text Based RPG I've Ever Played

Best Text Based RPG I've Ever Played
Started by: NuclearWinter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Best Text Based RPG I've Ever Played

Look, flat out, there is no other text-based RPG like Gemstone 4. It is the single most profound, exciting, diverse, detailed text-based World you could ever find yourself experiencing.

I love it. I've played it since I was a teen. The game never dies. And it just keeps getting better and better. It used to be called Gemstone 3 back in the day. But it has since then been upgraded. Why not check it out? They give you the first month absolutely free of charge. After that it's only $14.95 a month. And trust me, it's worth it. Besides, even if you don't like it, after you've played it for the month, you can just cancel, and they won't charge you anything. So it's a win win situation.

PS - Make sure that you use the wizard program when you play. The newer ones are alright but they focus too much on the mouse. The key to this game is to be able to use the keyboard as much as possible. Because it's faster.

Here's the website:

http://www.play.net/gs4/

Make sure you study before you play. I found out back in the day when I made sure I studied alot about the races, spell circles, action commands, etc., that it made it a heck of alot easier to play the game.

http://entertainmentcentral.iboards.us/

Old Post May 12th, 2009 05:09 AM
NuclearWinter is currently offline Click here to Send NuclearWinter a Private Message Find more posts by NuclearWinter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Best Text Based RPG I've Ever Played

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NuclearWinter
Look, flat out, there is no other text-based RPG like Gemstone 4. It is the single most profound, exciting, diverse, detailed text-based World you could ever find yourself experiencing.

I love it. I've played it since I was a teen. The game never dies. And it just keeps getting better and better. It used to be called Gemstone 3 back in the day. But it has since then been upgraded. Why not check it out? They give you the first month absolutely free of charge. After that it's only $14.95 a month. And trust me, it's worth it. Besides, even if you don't like it, after you've played it for the month, you can just cancel, and they won't charge you anything. So it's a win win situation.

PS - Make sure that you use the wizard program when you play. The newer ones are alright but they focus too much on the mouse. The key to this game is to be able to use the keyboard as much as possible. Because it's faster.

Here's the website:

Make sure you study before you play. I found out back in the day when I made sure I studied alot about the races, spell circles, action commands, etc., that it made it a heck of alot easier to play the game.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 05:41 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
+10STR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just get World of Warcraft you cheapskate.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 09:05 AM
+10STR is currently offline Click here to Send +10STR a Private Message Find more posts by +10STR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by +10STR
Just get World of Warcraft you cheapskate.

Thats one way to go. However, you can't do nearly as much in World of Warcraft as you can do in Gemstone 4. This is fact.

There are perks that you don't have in Gemstone 4 that you have in WOW, but in terms of overall flexibility Gemstone 4 wins hands down.

Now if you are a person who can get used to the style of a Text Based MUD, than you should have no problem adjusting. If you're the type of person that can only play a game with graphics, than you would have a real problem getting used to it.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 11:09 AM
NuclearWinter is currently offline Click here to Send NuclearWinter a Private Message Find more posts by NuclearWinter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tell you what. Here's a little incentive for people who might need it. If you build up your character in the game, you can sell it for REAL money outside the game. I've seen level 100 characters go for as much as $1,000 US dollars. You can sell anything from weapons, to gold, to armor, to just about whatever the game has to offer for REAL cash in REAL life.

Here is the website that auctions off the characters and such:

http://www.gsauctions.com/faq.asp

Or...you can always take the lazy way out and instead of building up your own character you can purchase one from that site and equip him/her full of gear. The cheaters wet dream.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 11:22 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Moved, for obvious reasons.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 12th, 2009 11:22 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Tell you what. Here's a little incentive for people who might need it. If you build up your character in the game, you can sell it for REAL money outside the game. I've seen level 100 characters go for as much as $1,000 US dollars. You can sell anything from weapons, to gold, to armor, to just about whatever the game has to offer for REAL cash in REAL life.

Here is the website that auctions off the characters and such:

http://www.gsauctions.com/faq.asp

Or...you can always take the lazy way out and instead of building up your own character you can purchase one from that site and equip him/her full of gear. The cheaters wet dream.

WoW has people buying/selling game commodities just as well.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 12th, 2009 03:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
WoW has people buying/selling game commodities just as well.

Well thats nice Robtard. But that has nothing to do with this game does it?

Old Post May 12th, 2009 11:27 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 13th, 2009 12:15 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
(please log in to view the image)

How is anything here Spam?

I'm simply trying to share a great game with people who might be interested in knowing about it.

If that's spam then you're spam. lol.

Old Post May 13th, 2009 12:41 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Why not just role play here. You're pimpin out other sites when kmc goes to a lot of trouble to cater to role playing. You desrve a spamwhich man. what the fuk is wrong with you?

I'm just playin, dude. What's the difference between text base and forum base?

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on May 13th, 2009 at 05:56 AM

Old Post May 13th, 2009 05:53 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Why not just role play here. You're pimpin out other sites when kmc goes to a lot of trouble to cater to role playing. You desrve a spamwhich man. what the fuk is wrong with you?

I'm just playin, dude. What's the difference between text base and forum base?

Text based is like when you read a book, and what you picture in your head while you are reading it, except in this game, it's as if you are actually living in the story yourself.

So instead of just reading and imagining, you are actually experiencing it.

Forum gaming doesn't come anywhere close to it. No offense to forum gamers.

Old Post May 14th, 2009 08:44 AM
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

I forgot to mention that there are virtually no hackers in this game. So it's hack-free. The same can not be said about games like World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.

In this game, everyone is on a level playing field.

Old Post May 14th, 2009 08:44 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

I thought you just said it was a "cheaters wet dream". I can't believe this turd sandwich actually requires a monthly fee.

Old Post May 14th, 2009 11:03 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Text based is like when you read a book, and what you picture in your head while you are reading it, except in this game, it's as if you are actually living in the story yourself.

So instead of just reading and imagining, you are actually experiencing it.

Forum gaming doesn't come anywhere close to it. No offense to forum gamers.

the same can be said for forum gams, if you have a good host

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 14th, 2009 06:41 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here's another tip that is really important for anyone who plays this game. If you choose to use the Wizard client (or the JAVA client) to play the game, and if you want to ask any questions to any other people playing it or if you just want to talk in general then you have to type ' before you say anything because it's the way to talk in the game. If you don't use the ' before you say something then the wizard client through which you are playing the game won't let you speak. So thats something I think is very important for anyone who first starts playing the game.

14.99 a month is peanuts folks. People spend more than that on 2 packs of cigarettes. And the first month is free.

And by the way, Even if you were homeless, didn't have a computer, and only had just enough money to pay for the game every month, don't worry, you can go to any University or Public Internet Access place and you can use the JAVA client to play the game from anywhere. I know that our Universities over here all have libraries where anyone can go and play Gemstone 4 at for hours on end. Basicly until they close.

It can run on almost any computer too. Any computer made from 1995 and up can run Gemstone 4 because it doesn't require a graphics card or anything to significant to play it. Hell, you could play it from an office computer at your work if you wanted to if you could get away with it, even a bare bones office computer with internet connection would allow you to play this game.

Last edited by NuclearWinter on May 18th, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Old Post May 18th, 2009 10:11 AM
NuclearWinter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't have a credit card or debit card? No problem. These days, you can go to check cashing places and ask about pre-payed debit/credit cards that anyone can sign up for. I have one, and you qualify for it no matter what. And the best part is, you get to activate it instantly, and, the money is ready to go from the second you activate it. And usually the fee for putting money onto it is relatively little. $2.00 for mine.

Not comfortable with using a pre-payed debit/credit card online? Well Gemstone 4 accepts money orders. So no worries. It might take a little longer for the billing department to receive it, but hey, once they do, you're ready to play.

Old Post May 18th, 2009 10:27 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Please stop spamming a product in this manner, nuclearwinter. It very much makes you look like you have a stake in it. Continue to do so and you will be warned.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 18th, 2009 11:09 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alicia Melchiot
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol laughing out loud

Old Post May 18th, 2009 11:37 AM
Alicia Melchiot is currently offline Click here to Send Alicia Melchiot a Private Message Find more posts by Alicia Melchiot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodyBandage

I prefer WoW but this game looks promising as well.

Old Post May 19th, 2009 12:19 AM
BloodyBandage is currently offline Click here to Send BloodyBandage a Private Message Find more posts by BloodyBandage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote