KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - (the c.o.d.: modern warfare 2 killer?)

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - (the c.o.d.: modern warfare 2 killer?)
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - (the c.o.d.: modern warfare 2 killer?)

Came out yesterday, i aquired it. It combines the tactical and the strategic almost BF2 style. Squads commander and individual gameplay is very emphasized.

This games a big deal. it's a sim and not arcadey like cod:mw2 is. The producer says that the game's as close to real time war as a you can get as a combat soldier, in video games, ever.

- Takes place on a real japanese island. It's free roaming, not liniear like cod:mw2

- In real time, crossing the island takes 9 hours on foot, 4 hours in a jeep and 20 minutes in a helicopter.

- According to Game Informer, there are over 70 weapons in game, all supported by a realistic ballistics system.

- The balance of the weapons is not artificially created by the game developers, but was created by their real life designers. Learning the best usage of each of these weapons will be a significant part of the challenge of the game.

- There are 50 different land, air and sea vehicles including helicopters, tanks, boats and APCs

- The game has a draw distance of 35 kilometers. Fire, smoke and dust are simulated based on effects of each weapon. A 2,000 pound bomb will throw up dust which will make it difficult to see, and fires created will burn for some time when set.

- The game features both nightvision and thermal imaging effects, real-time weather, lighting and shadow effects, 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound support.

- Other effects include realistic ballistics and limb dismemberment. Weapon attachments, a 'medic' system, and swimming are also featured

- And the grahpics are great. The mountains with draw distance utilized are photorealisctic.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 01:54 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

oops. forgot this..

wikipedia.com

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 01:55 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than Bored of Duty. Gonna have to try this out.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 02:02 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Nothing close to being a CoD killer, it's a totally different type of war game, Cod is an arcade style shooter - a semi run and gunner, OFDR is especially NOT. The most appealing thing about this game is the Co-op Campaign mode, but what detracts me from the experience is the distanced killing, i mean yeah it's realistic. But CQC will always be more fun.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 02:15 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Now this sounds like the type of game were sniping can be properly utilised. The problem with the CoD games is that once you knew where all the best sniping spots were it was a bit pointless even doing it because everyone else knew where they were too.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 03:34 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

how is this a CoD killer? its ghost recon the old ones not advanced warfare. but yeah thats basically all it is. ghost recon #1 with its two expansions. gr obviously didn't kill the original cod which sucked so why would this kill the new series which is awesome?

that aside the game looks great. not very realistic but it looks good. ill toss it in my gamefly queue.

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Oct 7th, 2009 at 04:41 PM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 04:37 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

So seeing that i hated and dreaded arma 2 for its incredibly steep learning curve and "unrealistic gameplay", should i get this game seeing that modern warfare 2 has been delayed for the PC?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 04:51 PM
BoratBorat is currently offline Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

did you like ghost recon?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 04:53 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

No...

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 05:01 PM
BoratBorat is currently offline Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

aw. sad everyone likes ghost recon! mad

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 05:47 PM
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thats cuz i never played it.

But seriously this delay for MW2 is pissing me off considering nobody from the official company actually confirmed nor denied it.

I feel us pc gamers are getting the short end of the stick.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 06:00 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'll get it later after playing Uncharted 2, Dragon Age and Left 4 Dead.

After reading reviews, it's never going to be a CoD killer because sim shooters don't sell extremely well. They sell to the point where its profitable but nothing like CoD or Halo.

What I think Operation Flashpoint 2 has for it is that its a sim open ended game and it's difficult but it has a not frustrating checkpoint system. A game like Arma 2, which is the most realistic shooter out there won't have that.

Also, no crazy bugs like Arma 2.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 06:19 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The original was loaded with bugs and game flaws. I'm wary of the sequel.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 07:29 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wolverine2179
I feel us pc gamers are getting the short end of the stick.

I got used to that a long time ago.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 07:36 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
The original was loaded with bugs and game flaws. I'm wary of the sequel.

Me too.

The only review I read said that they had no problems with it. But they wrote it as "we didn't encounter problems when we played"

Meaning, there probably is but they didnt see any.

I'm wary too. Open ending shooters always have crazy ass bugs, except for Far Cry 2, but that had other problems.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 08:03 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I have some very fond memories of the original Operation Flashpoint, but for various reasons the Arma games since just didn't do it for me; everything just seemed 'off'.

Anyway, although I hope the game is good, I think it'll be a long way down my list. I really only buy games that I have a very good feeling for these days, else what with the pace of life and all they just end up on my shelf doing nothing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 08:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Like Far Cry 2.

I'm going to wait until I have 2 weeks or so of no games.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2009 09:30 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

The game is awesome, totally realistic, and really gets you into it......BUT IT'S SO F*CKING HARD!!!!!!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2009 09:34 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

It is mad hard. jeez...

kind of a buzz kill but the games got crazy potential.

it's defintaly not a game you pick up and play for a few minutes. you really have to put some thought into it before you make any move. you have to look at maps, positions, enemy positions, utilize binoculars, give the right orders, quiet flank and what not, etc.. i mean i love it but gets a little rediculous sometimes especially after putting in all the work only to have some of your men get blown away, hence jeapordizing the mission.

yesterday i was in an infatry firefight that lasted almost 20 min.

online's where it's at though.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 14th, 2009 04:39 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I just did mission 07-08(Can't remember which one) WHere you rescue the POW's, that mission only has 1-2 checkpoints. I made it through to the end of the level, none of my guys or the POW's were injured, then the rescue chopper got blown away by a single reinforcement guy with a SAM. I had to start all the way back when I saved them.

You're right though, you can't rush into anything.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2009 04:45 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote