KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » My way to see how good a game really is...

My way to see how good a game really is...
Started by: Overdose

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Sleep My way to see how good a game really is...

Ya' know, in the past, I've bought a game or thought one game was better than another based on the opinions of other gamers/peers/forum chatter. And some times, I played a game I really liked and er one else said it sucked, thus I didn't have many peeps to play wit. A friend of mine told me that the best way to see if a game is great is to say screw you to the boards of Game-Informer, Games Spot, IGN(especially) cuz the forums have loads of haters and fanbois to skew your perception. That's the 1st step...

2nd, go to Metacritic for a sum of all reviews, don't be fooled by a 100% or 10 ratin' cuz a game may have high marks and only like 100 reviews compared to game that has a slightly lesser score but it's based on 1000 reviews.

3rd and finally, check the sales, yo. If Metacrtic and that other site that's like metacritic(?) say the game is decent and it's sold like a bazillion copies in a decent amount of time, that should be another indication that a game is worth your hard earned money.

That's how I buy a "good" game. That's also how I see if I like a good game or do I like a game that actually sux.

That's how I've been doin it for a while, is there a better way?

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Last edited by No End N Site on Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2009 11:34 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

I usually just try a game on demo or watch a few vids so I can see it myself. Mostly and more recently I try and stay close to titles and developers I can trust such as Blizzard and its series, Command and conquer and total war.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2009 11:53 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I use reviews mainly for games I'm on the fence about. Otherwise, I'll play the demo before I buy the game.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 12:42 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rabidd909
The Revanchist

I just rent them, if I like it, then I'll buy it.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 01:24 AM
rabidd909 is currently offline Click here to Send rabidd909 a Private Message Find more posts by rabidd909 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I just see if the game manages to get me to live it. You know like in Left for dead 2 when you finally finish a campaign and feel exhausted(at least in the first days) IMO any game that manages to do that is a good game.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 01:46 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Gamefly yo

TGFwashere

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 07:52 AM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: My way to see how good a game really is...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Overdose
Ya' know, in the past, I've bought a game or thought one game was better than another based on the opinions of other gamers/peers/forum chatter. And some times, I played a game I really liked and er one else said it sucked, thus I didn't have many peeps to play wit. A friend of mine told me that the best way to see if a game is great is to say screw you to the boards of Game-Informer, Games Spot, IGN(especially) cuz the forums have loads of haters and fanbois to skew your perception. That's the 1st step...

2nd, go to Metacritic for a sum of all reviews, don't be fooled by a 100% or 10 ratin' cuz a game may have high marks and only like 100 reviews compared to game that has a slightly lesser score but it's based on 1000 reviews.

3rd and finally, check the sales, yo. If Metacrtic and that other site that's like metacritic(?) say the game is decent and it's sold like a bazillion copies in a decent amount of time, that should be another indication that a game is worth your hard earned money.

That's how I buy a "good" game. That's also how I see if I like a good game or do I like a game that actually sux.

That's how I've been doin it for a while, is there a better way?

See a game that looks cool

first phase: play demo. this will give you a grasp on gameplay, graphics, and controls.

second phase: rent or gamefly. If you're not sure or if you don't think its something you will spend alot of time on, rent or gamefly. if you think that this will be great from the demo, move to third phase and skip phase two.

third phase: buy. Yea, you are a loser who had to spend more hours of his life trying to figure out weather you should buy the game than you could have bought three times over if you had used this time on a job.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 08:16 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

gamefly is how i get all my games because i dont have money to buy them and i dont even have my own game system

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 08:23 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Re: My way to see how good a game really is...

does that mean that whatever games has sold the most is the best game?

wow, just wow. Tell that to ICO.

Macdonalds sells more food than anyother restaurante, does that mean it has the best food?

lol, dude are you 15yrs old or somthing?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 10:50 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I only watch Zero Punctuation for game reviews, and that's more for entertainment cause he tends to hate every game. The way I decide to actually buy a game is through friends or randomly coming across a game that just sounds like it'd be really fun, and that worked mostly so far.

I also tend to buy 1 - 4 years after release, so they are considerably cheaper.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 10:52 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Gamefly

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 02:23 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Re: Re: My way to see how good a game really is...

Originally posted by Juk3n

Macdonalds sells more food than anyother restaurante, does that mean it has the best food?

Yeah, Sales isn't really a good indicator of how good a game is.

Another example is the MOTHER series; those games practically flopped in the US and Europe.

Yet it has one of the best crossover storylines in the history of RPGs.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 02:27 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I don't read game reviews. Sometimes they're spot on, sometimes they slander an otherwise great game (i.e. The Punisher for PS2). For me, a lot of different aspects determine if a game is good or not or even what redeemable factors it has. For example, look at the LJN games for the NES. Most of them were for licensed properties and were thoroughly horrible. However, quite a few of them had awesome soundtracks so sometimes it's almost worth playing Beetlejuice, Wolverine, or even Marvel's X-Men to hear some pretty awesome 8-bit gold.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 03:40 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

generally read IGN reviews, then sometimes compared it to Gamespot... (never read their forums though, their editorials are already full of fanboyism)

though none of that matters, If I'm interested in a game, chances are I will buy it regardless of score. Sometimes I buy it before reading it

Sells are a poor indication of quality, just look at any great Wii title, they don't sell as much as WiiPlay or WiiFit, some never make it to 100k

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 05:54 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Re: Re: My way to see how good a game really is...

Originally posted by Juk3n

Whoa, dude, don't get your "manties" in a bunch. I didn't say sells meant the game was the best, just that sells means the game is prolly good, that's all.

Where do you live, under a rock? McDonald's aint the best in the world but it tastes pretty damn good.
Originally posted by One Free Man
See a game that looks cool

first phase: play demo. this will give you a grasp on gameplay, graphics, and controls.

second phase: rent or gamefly. If you're not sure or if you don't think its something you will spend alot of time on, rent or gamefly. if you think that this will be great from the demo, move to third phase and skip phase two.

third phase: buy. Yea, you are a loser who had to spend more hours of his life trying to figure out weather you should buy the game than you could have bought three times over if you had used this time on a job.
My next problem is, how much does one's opinion really count? I mean, how do you know your not in love wit a shitty game? There was this one SNES game called Shaqfu, I loved it and er one else thought it sucked, so I never had anyone to play wit.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Last edited by No End N Site on Dec 7th, 2009 at 07:06 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 06:58 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Darth Jello
I don't read game reviews. Sometimes they're spot on, sometimes they slander an otherwise great game (i.e. The Punisher for PS2). For me, a lot of different aspects determine if a game is good or not or even what redeemable factors it has. For example, look at the LJN games for the NES. Most of them were for licensed properties and were thoroughly horrible. However, quite a few of them had awesome soundtracks so sometimes it's almost worth playing Beetlejuice, Wolverine, or even Marvel's X-Men to hear some pretty awesome 8-bit gold.

It seems that reviewers are especially harsh on 3rd party budget games. That pisses me off.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 07:19 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
It seems that reviewers are especially harsh on 3rd party budget games. That pisses me off.

To be fair, most of those games are total crap with few if any redeeming factors. LJN never put out a good game. Some of them were worse than pirated/unlicensed NES games from Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree, Camerica, and Sachen.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 07:29 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: My way to see how good a game really is...

Whoa, dude, don't get your "manties" in a bunch. I didn't say sells meant the game was the best, just that sells means the game is prolly good, that's all.

Where do you live, under a rock? McDonald's aint the best in the world but it tastes pretty damn good. My next problem is, how much does one's opinion really count? I mean, how do you know your not in love wit a shitty game? There was this one SNES game called Shaqfu, I loved it and er one else thought it sucked, so I never had anyone to play wit.
If a game entertains you, its a good game. period. Its not art, its not a connoisseur sport. its like cheap paperback novels.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 07:35 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I collect Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams because of how bad the are and because I love the Placid Blue cartridges. The only truely good games they made were Bible Buffet, Menace Beach, and Spiritual Warfare.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 07:38 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I tend to read multiple reviews, try the demo, and watch videos.

Most of the time though I have a good idea before hand if the game is going to be good simply based on the developer's pedigree. I think that's the best way to see if a game is going to be good or not.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 11:17 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote