KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » New Nintendo console - Wii U

New Nintendo console - Wii U
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

New Nintendo console rumoured

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 08:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Not sure I like the sound of Nintendo trying to recapture the hardcore market. But I suppose my complaints would depend on how one defines a hardcore gamer.

I just don't want to see Nintendo trying to make some FPS games like Call of Duty.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:06 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

Not much to add, I guess!
Though, with this thread, it is rumored just a little bit more.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:13 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed!

If Nintendo release a new high power console six years after the Wii that can genuinely rival the PS3 and 360 on power- the rumour says it can beat them, but we'll see- and at a reasonable price, I do think it makes the ten year plans of those consoles look silly. The Wii already made more than both of them probably ever will; if Nintendo can steal a march on them twice it is just nuts.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:35 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Maybe a high powered system like this will finally lure in quality third party support for a change.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:39 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Indeed!

If Nintendo release a new high power console six years after the Wii that can genuinely rival the PS3 and 360 on power- the rumour says it can beat them, but we'll see- and at a reasonable price, I do think it makes the ten year plans of those consoles look silly. The Wii already made more than both of them probably ever will; if Nintendo can steal a march on them twice it is just nuts.

I agree, I was always wondering whether Nintendo is just going to play along with the 10 year plan. It seemed pointless for them as they played a much different strategy from the start (like, not losing money with their console, and stuff).

And it seems to me like it should be no problem now to beat the 5 year old rival consoles at the high end at a reasonable price. It's obvious that casual gamers don't care about speed and specs, but if Nintendo can continue to offer them what they want and also compete at the high end market that could be potentially great for them. I feel like they've had an amazing strategy this generation and they could surely build on that. (I also think the 3DS is a great device, which is more in a market where they are starting to compete with a company that's also been driving an amazing strategy, Apple)

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:42 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I do miss the days of the N64 and NGC, when Nintendo was on par (arguably) with the PS1/Dreamcast and PS2. We just seemed to get a lot better Nintendo games when the playing field was that even.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 09:42 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

It'll be an interesting dichotomy if this is true, and the new system is backwards-compatible with the Wii. Though I think that could also be a good plan, honestly; if you've got the power under the hood for games to compete with the "hardcore" trends while keeping the legacy and library of simpler casual games, you're uniquely positioned to capture both sides of the market.

On the other hand, this could be a misstep as, if GDC '11 is anything to go by, the industry is very interested in a console-free gaming future.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2011 10:15 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I can't picture people NOT expecting Nintendo to announce their new console at this year's E3. I knew they were gonna do this since last year.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 02:56 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't think the console will flourish like the Wii did. The people who bought the console that would never buy a 360/PS3 will suddenly replace the Wii with a higher powered console, I just don't see the casual audience doing that.

Also, Nintendo would need to prove to hardcore gamers that they can provide excellent 3rd party support that is able to compete with Sony/MS. They might but given their track record since the GameCube, I wouldn't bet on it.

In the end, I'm interested in what Nintendo can do with their first party software (HD Zelda would be awesome) but can you see a casual buyer, buy another $300 console in the near future. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Smasandian on Apr 15th, 2011 at 03:27 AM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 03:25 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Casual seems best for them, they haven't won out in the hardcore market in quite some time. Who knows?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 12:02 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Not sure I like the sound of Nintendo trying to recapture the hardcore market. But I suppose my complaints would depend on how one defines a hardcore gamer.

I just don't want to see Nintendo trying to make some FPS games like Call of Duty.

They don't need to... but having the same PS3/360 COD on their platform, and not a dumb down version, should be interesting

so the controller would be some kind of tablet?

I find tablets uncomfortable... but at least it'll have some buttons on it erm

Originally posted by Smasandian
I don't think the console will flourish like the Wii did. The people who bought the console that would never buy a 360/PS3 will suddenly replace the Wii with a higher powered console, I just don't see the casual audience doing that.

Also, Nintendo would need to prove to hardcore gamers that they can provide excellent 3rd party support that is able to compete with Sony/MS. They might but given their track record since the GameCube, I wouldn't bet on it.

In the end, I'm interested in what Nintendo can do with their first party software (HD Zelda would be awesome) but can you see a casual buyer, buy another $300 console in the near future. I'm not sure.

My thoughts exactly. I might be proven wrong, but I don't think they can have the same success with casual gamers, besides the wimote gimmick, they offered simplicity... the Ipad-like controller could be intimidating

The 3DS, as good as it's doing, it's not selling as expected... it's even outsold by the PSP in Japan no expression ... it doesn't help it's got almost nothing to play on it

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 04:43 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Nintendo needs to step up with the big boys and finally quit pandering to the "family theme", in my opinion.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 05:00 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

M$ has already gone the "family" route... it seems to be paying off for them no expression

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 05:36 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think pricing will be very important. I'll be fine with it being no great advance on 360 or PS3 if it's cheap. In fact, I think that will work very well for them- they'll be much more likely to pick up the causal Wii adopters again that way.

If it is expensive then I'm sceptical even if it is significantly better than the existing consoles.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 06:03 PM
Erde Kaiser
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the sheer amount of casual games for the Nintendo platforms makes people either forget or fail to realise that there are actually an abundance of games on both platforms geared to the more commited gamer as well. The DS and Wii have, by far, the biggest and best library of serious adventure games and RPGs and they're pretty competitive as far as action/adventure and non shooter action games are concerned as well. In many respects the PS3/PSP and 360 have a pretty pathetic gaming library to the more commited gamer.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 06:30 PM
Erde Kaiser is currently offline Click here to Send Erde Kaiser a Private Message Find more posts by Erde Kaiser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Only because Japan makes enough handheld RPGs to choke a walrus.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 06:34 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Impediment
Nintendo needs to step up with the big boys and finally quit pandering to the "family theme", in my opinion.

Yeah, buckets of money are gross.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 06:37 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think pricing will be very important. I'll be fine with it being no great advance on 360 or PS3 if it's cheap. In fact, I think that will work very well for them- they'll be much more likely to pick up the causal Wii adopters again that way.

If it is expensive then I'm sceptical even if it is significantly better than the existing consoles.

I'm not sure casual gamers really give a shit about the console being in HD. Even at $200 bucks, I don't know if it will entice casual gamers to replace their Wii's, which I would suspect they don't play very much.

In my opinion, having an HD Nintendo console would be designed to go after the gamer market but the console will have the noticeably better than current generations, have top notch content and lastly, have a comparable user friendly online system.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 07:27 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of course the HD thing is irrelevant to casual gamers. However, after six years since original release, I think 'new and improved' might have more resonance to potential casual buyers than you might think. So then it just has to be affordable.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 15th, 2011 07:34 PM