KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » PS4 or Sony related console confirmed

PS4 or Sony related console confirmed
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phanteros
the Shade knight

PS4 or Sony related console confirmed

Last edited by Phanteros on May 27th, 2011 at 03:02 AM

Old Post May 27th, 2011 02:59 AM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

My thoughts: Nintendo scared 'em.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post May 27th, 2011 03:58 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
My thoughts: Nintendo scared 'em.
yep Sony's cornered now. The thought of a hardcore nintendo console pretty much shook everybody.

Old Post May 27th, 2011 04:02 AM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Umm seriously,

Everybody knows that MS and Sony are working on their next console, way before Nintendo released information for their next.

The article is basically saying, "our next console will be cheaper to produce".

Do we think Sony is scared of Nintendo? Probably not.

And really, lets wait till Nintendo can produce a great "hardcore" system before it shakes the industry. People have short term memories because the Wii is the first Nintendo console to be labelled as a "casual" system even though that label came to the system after the Wii was released.

Old Post May 27th, 2011 04:51 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes indeed- the news here isn't that a console is being developed, it is that they are changing the funding strategy.

And whilst it is very possible that Nintendo's faster schedule is putting pressure on the others to hurry their next release up (though there is only so much faster that can be done), I would guess this has more to do with the 'massive up-front investment' model for the PS3 not having actually worked very well.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 28th, 2011 07:30 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

In my opinion, Sony screwed up royally by releasing the PS3 while the PS2 had a lot of potential left in it.

Were they to make the same mistake by releasing a PS4 before the PS3 becomes truly "last gen", then it would be utter folly.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 28th, 2011 04:49 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Sony Banking On New Super Fast Cell Processor For PS4 & Bravia TV

quote:
Sony, who announced a $3 Billion plus loss last, week is pinning their future on a brand new processor which some are speculating will lead to a new Playstation 4.

What we have been told is that Sony is working on a very fast processor which is being developed with IBM, who was the original architect with Sony and Toshiba of the Cell processor, which has been used by both Sony and Microsoft to power their gaming processors for nearly 10 years.

IBM sources claim that the new multi core PowerPC processor, which Big Blue, has spent several years developing is now part of a joint development project with the Japanese company.

Sony recently moved to buy back the Toshiba Cell factory in Nagasaki for $600 million with some tipping that this will be used to manufacture the processor for both Sony Toshiba and IBM devices.

The new 32nm Cell processor is tipped to be capable of up to 16 SPEs which is twice as fast as the current Cell processor according to IBM leaks.

Japanese sources claim that Sony is gearing up to manufacture the Cell processor in bulk with some analysts tipping that the new processor will also appear in Sony notebooks and built into new Sony Bravia TVs.

Intel sources have said that they are also working on a new processor that will be ideal for future gaming consoles as well as for use in devices that are both gaming console and media hubs.

At a recent Sony conference call in Japan the head of the company's Networked Products & Services division – which develops for the PlayStation brand and Sony PCs, hinted that it was working on the PlayStation 4 but would not give any details.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," said Sony's Masaru Kato who hinted that development work for the PS4 was currently underway".

He added: "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

"But this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we'll be introducing what product, I cannot discuss – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

At the recent CES show a senior Sony executive told me that the company had speculated as to whether they needed a new Playstation console. "What we need is a fast processor that delivers content including gaming and 3D movies to a display screen. That processor could be built into a TV a media hub for connection to non-Sony display screen with content delivered over an IP network".

"We will always need a means by which people can access content other than via an IP network, because in many countries there is no fast broadband infrastructure. This is where Blu ray will have a life after markets like Europe and the US have moved onto fibre networks".

As to when the new processor will appear Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Ray Maguire told Tech Radar recently: "The online side is very interesting and is a big part of our business going forward. But in terms of what sort of technology we'll be using, it's far too early to say yet because we're only half way through the lifecycle of PS3 - there are many years to come on that machine."

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post May 30th, 2011 05:05 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Impediment
In my opinion, Sony screwed up royally by releasing the PS3 while the PS2 had a lot of potential left in it.

Were they to make the same mistake by releasing a PS4 before the PS3 becomes truly "last gen", then it would be utter folly.

That's not the reason they screwed up.

They screwed up because they thought people would automatically buy the PS3 no matter what the cost was because they bought the PS2. They were also pretty damn arrogant too.

The PS2 was old when the PS3 was released. Considering the 360 was out a year before, the release date for the PS3 was perfectly alright. The PS2 was "last gen" by that time.

But I do agree if they release the PS4 before the PS3 is up, I think it would be a bad idea. I believe that the PS3 can still create gorgeous games for the next few years before the need to upgrade. I also think the same with the 360.

The next gen consoles, I don't really see a reason for them right now. Graphics can get better but I don't have any complaints on what games look right now.

Old Post May 30th, 2011 08:25 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

The PS3 is still churning out the best console-graphics we've seen so far (Uncharted 2 etc), so I can see no justification for bringing out a new PS console before it starts to look dated. Nintendo are allowed to go to the next console as the Wii is already last-gen when it comes to graphics and online capabilities.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 30th, 2011 08:51 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by Morridini
The PS3 is still churning out the best console-graphics we've seen so far (Uncharted 2 etc), so I can see no justification for bringing out a new PS console before it starts to look dated. Nintendo are allowed to go to the next console as the Wii is already last-gen when it comes to graphics and online capabilities.

I completely agree.

Even though Nintendo sold more than the other consoles, the Wii is inferior to BOTH the 360 and PS3.

It does not offer the superb on-line service of the 360 NOR the stunning graphics of the PS3.

Wii may be bang-for-the-buck at the initial launch BUT in the long run, the PS3 and the 360 gives you more value for money, since both consoles still produce great titles with excellent replay value and DL content. The PS3 can even be used as alternative for stand-alone Bluray player.

Besides Wii Sports (it's not even that decent of a game concept... you can do all those sports IN REAL LIFE. Lmfao), there's nothing that the Wii can offer that their competitors can not.

Kinect and Move are both better than the Wii-mote.
And LBP is better than any 'casual' game the Wii has come up with.

With regards to PS4 release, I don't see a reason why they should make a new console, since the PS3 is still the most powerful console available in the market.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on May 30th, 2011 at 09:39 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2011 09:35 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You do realize that R and D for the new PS would require many, many years to do so.

It doesn't make financial sense to release a new console is the next 2-3 years, no matter what Nintendo does.

The videogame market has increased considerably to a point where multiple product can exist and make profit. The idea behind console wars is done in my opinion.

Old Post May 30th, 2011 10:57 PM
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

I just hope the PS4 is a lil bit more "convenient" in the obvious areas this time around. I found the PS3 to be an amazinlgly powerful console that dropped the ball in some annoyin ways.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post May 31st, 2011 02:35 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Marshall
Rough Trade Minister

quote:
The stakes couldn't be higher for Sony's PlayStation 4. The original PlayStation set a ballsy precedent, doing away with cartridges; the PS2 threw Sonic and his Dreamcast pals under a truck, forcing Sega out of the console game for good.

But the PS3 and its hardcore gaming attitude wasn't prepared for the family gaming revolution. Its high price led more parents to buy their favourite sprog a Nintendo Wii, and many traditional gamers were enticed by the ever-improving Xbox lineup.

The PS3 lost billions of yen for Sony, and it was only after going to the gym to slim down and offer a lower price tag that its fortunes took a turn.

We think Sony has been given enough of a boot up the rear to make the PS4 a real showstopper, and now we hear several internal Sony studios have begun developing games for the next-gen machine.

So how long until Sony unleashes its new console upon the world, and what will be able to do?

Graphics
Call us shallow, but if there's one big priority on any gamer's mind it's the graphics. The PS3 is capable of outstanding visuals -- witness this year's big hits Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3 -- but some developers are starting to feel the digital squeeze.

Graphics company AMD claims the next generation of consoles will allow for visuals as lush as those in Avatar. If that seems hard to believe, watch this tech demo by developer Epic for a sign of things to come:

If you think that looks swish, you'll wet your kecks when you see what Final Fantasy maker Square Enix has been working on. It's been grinding away at something called the Luminous Engine, which promises photo realistic gaming for the first time.

Try guessing which of the following images are real or computer generated:

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

Pretty close, eh? The top one is the original photo, and the bottom one is pure digital wizardry. The trick is to simulate the way surfaces reflect every grain of light, and it looks marvellous. Gamers could finally play in a virtual world that looks better than real life.

Of course, the PS4 will need some serious processing testosterone to offer those photo-quality graphics, as well as 3D. Sony will achieve this by simply expanding the PS3's 8-core Cell processor to as many as 32 cores, Kotaku reckons, rather than spending oodles of boodle inventing another new chip from scratch.

But there's more to a game than fancy graphics, and a beefed-up processor will allow for realism in other ways too. One notable area is in artificial intelligence, where the wits of enemies will be vastly improved. Imagine those non-playable characters in Grand Theft Auto having a mind of their own, each reacting independently rather than running from your grenade launcher all at once like a herd of sheep than a panicked mob.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/p...guide-50006003/

Sound awesome....

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 02:37 AM
Mr. Marshall is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Marshall a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Marshall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mist_haermm

This:

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 05:14 AM
Mist_haermm is currently offline Click here to Send Mist_haermm a Private Message Find more posts by Mist_haermm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Ehhh. Those two pictures don't impress me that much; not nearly as awesome as they make it out to be. The bottom one just looks too fake - they still have quite some way to go with making light react with surfaces and create realistic shadows properly.

Also, gameplay > graphics. Every time.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 05:17 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

I'm excited to see what the ps4 will bring to the table, but, like others, I think that the ps3 has a ways to go before it is finished. As for the nintendo's console...I think it is a bad Idea, and don't think it will really do much as far as competition. Making the controller able to continue the game when you leave the tv is an excellent idea...only problem is, not everyone will need that option, and the controller will be much more expensive (most likely), and sony already has that idea taken care of, and theirs is optional. If you WANT to be able to play games on your console when you leave it, you can transfer to the ps vita. Sure it's pretty expensive, but it isn't a fundamental part of the console either, so it is optional.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 05:22 AM
menokokoro is currently offline Click here to Send menokokoro a Private Message Find more posts by menokokoro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Smasandian
That's not the reason they screwed up.

They screwed up because they thought people would automatically buy the PS3 no matter what the cost was because they bought the PS2. They were also pretty damn arrogant too.

The PS2 was old when the PS3 was released. Considering the 360 was out a year before, the release date for the PS3 was perfectly alright. The PS2 was "last gen" by that time.

But I do agree if they release the PS4 before the PS3 is up, I think it would be a bad idea. I believe that the PS3 can still create gorgeous games for the next few years before the need to upgrade. I also think the same with the 360.

The next gen consoles, I don't really see a reason for them right now. Graphics can get better but I don't have any complaints on what games look right now.

QFT.

Also I think the rumored next-gen xbox for 2012 is a bad move. If I were 1 of the brains in Sony/Microsoft game consoles divisions I'd at least wait a bit after the Wii-U is released.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 07:00 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah... That would've been the more sensible approach.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 11:12 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Peach
Ehhh. Those two pictures don't impress me that much; not nearly as awesome as they make it out to be. The bottom one just looks too fake - they still have quite some way to go with making light react with surfaces and create realistic shadows properly.

Also, gameplay > graphics. Every time.

well, next gen it's all about the graphics it seems, the only difference between current gen and PC is the graphics, I still have to see a game that cannot be run on consoles.

So, excluding Nintendo, Next Gen is pure graphics.

And the pictures are awesome, it's not flashy, it's subtle, and that makes for a more realistic graphics than neon lights and reflective surfaces

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 05:41 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You have nothing to base that opinion on.

It's assumed that graphics will be a big issue because why wouldn't it be but I suspect next gen consoles for Sony and MS will also be about complete media centres, social networking and a better system for digital distribution.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 08:15 PM