KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Secret World

The Secret World
Started by: Peach

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

The Secret World

Really not new, but I just finally got around to looking into it and I'm quite intrigued...

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

MMO that takes place in a modern-day setting...with magic. Basically, as the title implies, there's a 'secret' world (and war) full of magic and horrible things, and three different factions that are fighting against each other for power and control (or simply cos they can).

Gameplay looks like it should be interesting; they're going one step further from GW2 and completely throwing out levels and classes entirely, and you can pretty much come up with whatever combinations you want. It all looks very freeform and sandboxy.

I'm not 100% sold on how it will work, but the setting alone has me incredibly interested, and I'm going to keep watch on this one.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 03:42 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Good ideas for MMOs are somewhat tragic. Like that Tad Williams one coming out too. MMOs need a sustainable member base and regular updates. I always kind of assume the new ones won't thrive unless they have the names "Star Wars" or "Warcraft" attached to them.

Some prove that wrong. But meh, I hope it turns out well Peach.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 04:41 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I've been signed up on the site for this for like a year watching it's progress. It's the only MMO i've seen that might (and i stress MIGHT) pull mne away from Star Trek Online.

If the execution is half as good as it could be, I'll be there.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 06:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: The Secret World

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Really not new, but I just finally got around to looking into it and I'm quite intrigued...

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

MMO that takes place in a modern-day setting...with magic. Basically, as the title implies, there's a 'secret' world (and war) full of magic and horrible things, and three different factions that are fighting against each other for power and control (or simply cos they can).

Gameplay looks like it should be interesting; they're going one step further from GW2 and completely throwing out levels and classes entirely, and you can pretty much come up with whatever combinations you want. It all looks very freeform and sandboxy.

I'm not 100% sold on how it will work, but the setting alone has me incredibly interested, and I'm going to keep watch on this one.

Sounds very similar to the Nightwatch and Daywatch concepts except there are 3 warring factions instead of 2.

I also like that "throw out classes" idea. But that can be incredibly difficult to balance once the players figure out the best leveling combos. (Unless they remove spell stacking/allow only one "ability" to be used on another.)

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 07:24 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
Sounds very similar to the Nightwatch and Daywatch concepts except there are 3 warring factions instead of 2.

I also like that "throw out classes" idea. But that can be incredibly difficult to balance once the players figure out the best leveling combos. (Unless they remove spell stacking/allow only one "ability" to be used on another.)

stuff like that's gonna take months of bug fixes and balance patches i'd say. i'm hopeful they can get it right though.

and those cgi trailers are awesome, in terms of animation and content i mean.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 07:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bladewind

Yes, the CGI trailers are very well done, generating a certain atmosphere that I haven't seen before. The idea alone has caught my interest since it puts a whole new spin on the whole conspiracy theory thing. But I'd really like to see some more gameplay.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 03:37 PM
Bladewind is currently offline Click here to Send Bladewind a Private Message Find more posts by Bladewind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Digi
Good ideas for MMOs are somewhat tragic. Like that Tad Williams one coming out too. MMOs need a sustainable member base and regular updates. I always kind of assume the new ones won't thrive unless they have the names "Star Wars" or "Warcraft" attached to them.

Some prove that wrong. But meh, I hope it turns out well Peach.

It's been proven wrong stick out tongue

Originally posted by dadudemon

There's no leveling.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 03:55 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

So did any of y'all take the quiz?

I got Templar as my result.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 12:42 AM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Dragon.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 02:05 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Also Dragon stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 02:25 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Illuminati here.

Of course you got Templar Pr. Just like Peach was never going to be anything but a Chaos Lord.

angel

Last edited by Digi on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 05:19 AM

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 04:54 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I got bored and looked through the site for a bit.

Actually looks pretty cool.

And I got Illuminati.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 05:15 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bladewind

As I predicted, I got Templar as a result.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 02:30 PM
Bladewind is currently offline Click here to Send Bladewind a Private Message Find more posts by Bladewind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Bumping this since its just come out.

Anyone interested in this? Pr, could it possibly pry you from the majesty of Star Trek Online?

MMO Grinder Sidequest.

Last edited by Nephthys on Jul 14th, 2012 at 06:52 AM

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:48 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Nephthys
Bumping this since its just come out.

Anyone interested in this? Pr, could it possibly pry you from the majesty of Star Trek Online?

Star Trek Online is being a **** atm, but Im still subscribed to TOR.

Honestly, i have friends who play this so I want to give it a go, I just have to do some more research on costs etc.

What's the payment model?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:52 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

$50-60 game cost, $15 Subscription plus Item/Clothes Store.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:53 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Nephthys
$60 game cost, $15 Subscription plus Item/Clothes Store.

I'll have to see. I am tempted, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:54 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I wish the initial purchase was cheaper because i really want to try it but don't have $75 to just toss out on something I'm not sure about.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:59 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I just saw it in the shop and watched a few Beta reviews and glanced through TotalHalibut's livestream. ATM it looks like it has pretty good combat, with really cool quests that need you to actually think and sometimes even use the in-game web-provider to do research. I'm not going to get it myself, but it interests me.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 07:00 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I played the beta, and bar some lag issues, the game was solid. It plays like a third person shooter at times, with satisfying real time combat and a very interesting puzzle system; a friend of mine was looking up bible passages just to solve one.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 07:03 AM