KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Doom 3: BFG Edition

Doom 3: BFG Edition
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Shocked Doom 3: BFG Edition

Are you nostalgic for real horror games, are you anticipating for Doom 4 and just want to play all the other Doom games to feel more prepared (or both)? Well I got good news and bad news. The good news, this:

The bad news? You'll probably have to go back to the "keep an extra clean pair of jeans" strategy for you don't know what these new levels will have in store for you.

Old Post May 31st, 2012 06:03 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I seen the news for this yesterday....****en bullshit it is, It was only a while back i brought Doom 3 & the expansion for the PC and then this comes along out of nowhere.

Old Post May 31st, 2012 08:06 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I can't wait to return to hell. Fo realz.

Old Post May 31st, 2012 09:53 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wonder if the new levels will be DLC on steam.

Old Post May 31st, 2012 10:00 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/d...this-fall-with/

So not only are we getting Resurrection of Evil and eight new levels but we'll also be getting an armor-mounted flashlight, making you wield a weapon without having to switch back to the flashlight to see where enemies are, making it less frustrating. And there's also Doom 1 & 2 that will be added to the BFG edition. Sweet.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2012 01:38 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 12:56 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You know, I know I'm in the minority here, but I felt having to disarm yourself to use the flashlight added a lot of tension to the game by making you feel vulnerable. Without that the game would have lost much of its tension and fear factor, and simply been an action game.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 02:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I also agree.

I liked the idea that you had to change your hand from gun to flashlight to see where you were going. Made the game a **** more scarier.

The funny thing is that Doom 3, Fear and Condemned are probably the last games where I was generally scared shitless throughout the game.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 02:13 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
You know, I know I'm in the minority here, but I felt having to disarm yourself to use the flashlight added a lot of tension to the game by making you feel vulnerable. Without that the game would have lost much of its tension and fear factor, and simply been an action game.

I agree for the most part. Though there are far more elegant ways to make a game scarier, the tension added by having to choose between using the flashlight or a weapon was not lost on me.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 03:04 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

To hell with the retarded flashlight.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 03:41 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm another one that liked to switch between the flashlight and your gun and besides it was good a good setup on the PC just press on button.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 03:44 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2012 09:10 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Ah, so I guess you'll be facing Betruger/Maledict and other familiar foes in the lost missions. That's cool.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2012 02:09 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

The Doom 3 BFG Edition is "more responsive" than RAGE.

Also, if you haven't already heard, there is in fact an option that lets you mount the flashlight or equip it like you used to.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Aug 18th, 2012 at 09:55 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 09:50 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...n/achievements/

Figured there would be achievements for collecting all the PDAs, but I loved getting and listening to them throughout the game, so that won't be a problem for me. Just glad I don't have to beat Doom 1 and 2 on ultra violence again. Still unsure though if it has co-op like the first two Dooms did on XBLA.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2012 12:16 AM
Little Caesar

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
To hell with the retarded flashlight.

The Flashlight was great!

In the single-player of Quake II.

Also, using a BFG in Doom seems like id's answer to WoW: Pandaria-whateverit'scalled. Just dumb, aimed at preteens.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 12:27 AM
Little Caesar is currently offline Click here to Send Little Caesar a Private Message Find more posts by Little Caesar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I loved the flashlight and am glad I'll still be able to use it the way I used to despite the other method. Don't really remember having to use it in Quake II like I did in Doom 3 though, and I used to have that game on PC also.

The Soul Cube > BFG anyway.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 07:32 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I never used the Flashlight in Quake 2.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 07:35 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah, when was it really needed there?

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 07:52 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Been playing this on veteran so far on and off. Was doing perfect until I realized I missed a locker that would've gotten me the plasma gun earlier than I did which could've made the first boss a lot easier. FML I guess getting all the lockers is another thing I'll need to replay the first campaign for. Not sure I even want to attempt Nightmare anytime soon after I unlock the difficulty, but at least you start out with the Soul Cube on it from what I hear, which I'm guessing you'll have to rely on a lot more for health.

Some things about Doom 3 haven't aged as well as I thought, but great game overall still. Funny how much it reminds me of Dead Space now upon replaying it this gen, and I forgot how much an ass Sergeant Kelly was. lol

As for the flashlight, so far I've just been using it with whatever gun I use, but the recharge time can be sometimes inconvenient. Haven't even found out how to use it the way it was used in the original (assuming still that's in this re-release too), though I probably haven't messed around with the options enough to find out.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2012 07:15 AM