KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Fighting games for the single player

Fighting games for the single player
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fighting games for the single player

By and large, it seems like the single player AI in a fighting game is either easy, or cheap (The second being worse, imo, because it makes the game inaccessible to casual players..), and generally not much fun to play against..

Remember Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, and how it had this virtual arcade quest mode? And, how the AI actually had a learning curve, and managed to give a challenge on higher levels without being cheap about it? Basically, it had a single player mode that didn't feel like it was built as an afterthought for competition minded gamers to practice some skills on before going against friends?

Are there other games like that, or is a rich single player experience in a fighting game a rarity?

Last edited by cdtm on Aug 6th, 2012 at 02:58 AM

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 02:53 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Mortal Kombat. The latest one. Yes, there are some cheap bosses, but it has the best story mode I've seen in a fighting game, bar none. It's a solid fighter too.

The story mode actually feels like the primary part of the game, if i'm being honest.

But then again, there's cheapness like I said.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 06:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Mortal Kombat. The latest one. Yes, there are some cheap bosses, but it has the best story mode I've seen in a fighting game, bar none.
Look harder.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 06:59 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

It are amazing.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 07:08 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by NemeBro
Look harder.

I've looked plenty. Still prefer MK.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 07:11 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by -Pr-
I've looked plenty.
Clearly not.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 03:31 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Blazblue/Guilty Gear are the only ones that fit what you are looking for. Both containing great story modes that shit all over the competition.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 03:36 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Typical anime weebo garbage.

Mortal Kombat is the right choice, PR.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 06:23 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by NemeBro
Clearly not.

confused

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Typical anime weebo garbage.

Mortal Kombat is the right choice, PR.

Thought so.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 01:17 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'll see about getting the MK demo, if there is one.

I grew up watching DBZ and playing jrpg's, the same as just about any tween in the 90's, and I still like certain anime and anime inspired stuff.. (Deadman Wonderland is awesome) But yeah, Guilty Gear and Blazblu don't really appeal to me..

But thanks for the suggestions.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 01:50 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

One of the best fighting games I ever played with great AI was TechRomancer on the Dreamcast.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 03:55 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by the ninjak
One of the best fighting games I ever played with great AI was TechRomancer on the Dreamcast.

Giant robot fighting game?

From videos, it looks interesting.. Ever been ported?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 04:09 AM
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Originally posted by the ninjak

TechroooooMANCER!!!

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 04:10 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Persona 4: The Ultimate.

Its being released today btw.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 04:33 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by No End N Site
TechroooooMANCER!!!

*Look up the word Zinc*..

Which is just an element.. and nothing else..

I said I was done, after the Steam sale.. finished with it.

I thought I could get out, but you pull me back in.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 04:54 AM
No End N Site

Originally posted by cdtm
*Look up the word Zinc*..

Which is just an element.. and nothing else..

I said I was done, after the Steam sale.. finished with it.

I thought I could get out, but you pull me back in.

Huh?

-Anakaris-

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 05:23 AM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by No End N Site
Huh?

I just tried Tech Romancer.

And I'm not answering any more questions. stick out tongue

It IS a good game. Sort of a 2d Virtual On-ish game.

Surprised this only had one port from the arcade. You could have built a franchise around this stuff. (Than again, it's not exactly uncommon for great games to languish.. See: Power Stone.)

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 05:51 AM
No End N Site

You think Techromancer is good, play the PSOne version of JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. Not only is the story mode long as hell and almost impossible to beat 100%, it turns into, at times,

- A side scrollin' beat'em up like Streets Of Rage

- A side scrolling shoot'em up like Contra

-QTE fest

-You'll play poker and black jack for you're life

-where's waldo-like shit

-FPS

-and about 20 or 30 more different games, along with classic fighting game action.

And I'm not kiddin, just look for you're self.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1ac.YthrfKsojD4

Literally the best story mode in a fighting game, ever! I say this as a person who doesn't care about fighting game stories, but JoJo's the most entertainin one you're ever gonna play. Strong emphasis on the impossible to complete 100%. Nobody really knows how to do it and after a year, I gave up.

-Anakaris-

Last edited by No End N Site on Aug 7th, 2012 at 07:03 AM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 06:48 AM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by cdtm
I just tried Tech Romancer.

And I'm not answering any more questions. stick out tongue

It IS a good game. Sort of a 2d Virtual On-ish game.

Surprised this only had one port from the arcade. You could have built a franchise around this stuff. (Than again, it's not exactly uncommon for great games to languish.. See: Power Stone.)

Yeah I wish I still had my Dreamcast. Techromancer was easily my fav on it. The storymodes. The balanced fighting machines. The weapons. Those cute mini games you could transfer into your controller.
Pure Win!

Definitely deserved an anime.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 03:26 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote