KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » KMC Game Review Thread

KMC Game Review Thread
Started by: Lek Kuen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

KMC Game Review Thread

A thread for the various kmc members to give their reviews of the games they play as well as tell what kind of people they think will like them. This is for new releases as well as older games and will hopefully help people find new games to play and overlooked gems, as well as avoid wasting money.

Use what ever criteria and scoring system you like but the more in depth the better. I only ask you include the title of the game as well as when it came out and the console you played it on.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jun 7th, 2014 03:27 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Nice! I will start with a number for the last games I've played. Will elaborate later(currently nursing a hangover)

1. Infamous: 9.0
2. Watch Dogs 7.5
3. Child of Light: 8.5
4. Transistor: 8.5

Currently playing Deus Ex Human Revolution

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jun 7th, 2014 02:56 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

I was just playing an online game called Hearthstone. It's a card game sort of like Yugioh, and it's free to play on battle net. You can play alone, or go up against live competitors. It's not too bad to be honest. If anyone out there is into these types of games you should give it a try. It's free to play. It recommends that you have at least 2GB's of RAM, but if you don't you can use Ready boost with Windows 7 and beyond. Ready boost is a feature that you can use with a thumb drive to give you the extra RAM needed.

For a free game, I'd give Hearthstone by Blizzard a solid 8 out of 10.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2014 05:29 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I know they have an expansion coming out soon with in addition to new cards, no single player content. Anything you don't like about the current game?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2014 06:29 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I just moved to San Antonio last week. While I was in the process of packing I found my GameCube memory cards that I thought were forever lost. So now I'm currently playing for the first time in a LONG time Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime on my Wii.

Both games are a shining 10!

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 8th, 2014 04:19 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
I was just playing an online game called Hearthstone. It's a card game sort of like Yugioh, and it's free to play on battle net. You can play alone, or go up against live competitors. It's not too bad to be honest. If anyone out there is into these types of games you should give it a try. It's free to play. It recommends that you have at least 2GB's of RAM, but if you don't you can use Ready boost with Windows 7 and beyond. Ready boost is a feature that you can use with a thumb drive to give you the extra RAM needed.

For a free game, I'd give Hearthstone by Blizzard a solid 8 out of 10.
That sounds very interesting(Ready boost) How does it work? My motherboard is on its way to valhalla, and 3 out of the 4 slots died. As a result I only have 4 ram instead of 12. As you can imagine this is quite problematic for more graphics intensive games. Could use this ready boost feature until I am cleared to buy a new motherboard

Old Post Jun 8th, 2014 05:39 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
I know they have an expansion coming out soon with in addition to new cards, no single player content. Anything you don't like about the current game?

The pay to win factor kind of sucks tbh. I don't like the idea that you only get so many quests per day as well, it should have an unlimited amount of quests as you level your character up, or finish the ones that you complete. Aside from that, it's not too bad.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2014 12:25 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Zack Fair
That sounds very interesting(Ready boost) How does it work? My motherboard is on its way to valhalla, and 3 out of the 4 slots died. As a result I only have 4 ram instead of 12. As you can imagine this is quite problematic for more graphics intensive games. Could use this ready boost feature until I am cleared to buy a new motherboard

Ah, OK. Well what you do is just insert the thumb drive (Flash Drive) into your USB port. Once this happens, locate the drive letter that the drive is> right click>go to Properties> You will see Ready Boost> You can either dedicate the entire thumb drive as virtual RAM,or click on use this device. I would suggest choosing the "Use this device" option choice. So go ahead, and click on the radial button, and allocate the amount of RAM that you will use. It will ask you to allocate the amount in MB's. Keeping in mind that every 1,024 MB's equals 1 GB.

Hold your horses brother. Before doing any of this, what you want to do is convert your thumb drive from FAT32 format, to NTSF. If not, Ready Boost will appear to be working, but it won't be, because FAT32 is limited to legacy file systems. We don't have to get too deep into this. Any more info would be walking into A+ tech territory.

So let's get down to it. To format your thumb/flash drive, you want to run CMD, which is what you will type into your Run menu. So let's do this step by step so that you have no problems.

If you do not have the Run function on your start menu this is what you do.

1. Click on your Windows button
2. While looking at the Shut Down option, Right Click on any open area.
3. Properties will pop up.
4. On the Start Menu tab, choose Customize.
5. A Menu will pop up. Just scroll down until you see Run>click on it, and choose OK.
6. Run should now be on your Start Menu when you hit the Window button.

OK Now you want to choose Run> Type in CMD

CMD (Command Prompt)

You need to know what the drive letter is called that you are going to convert.
Once you know what the drive letter is you want to type this command convert d: /fs:ntfs. In this example d is the drive letter, so replace d with whatever your drive letter is, and hit enter. this will convert your thumb/flash drive from FAT32, to NTFS.

Once this is done you are ready to use the Ready Boost feature. Let me know if you have any problems.

Always make a habit of converting your thumb drive from Fat32 to NTFS the moment you buy it, unless for some reason you've found a way to use it on a legacy machine that uses the old file system.

Last edited by Stoic on Jun 10th, 2014 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2014 12:52 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Just tried League of Angel's. It's free to play, and another MMO. Not bad for a freebie. It's basically another free to play, but pay to win situations, but all in all the graphics aren't bad, and it's decent if you're on your lunch break and have nothing to do.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2014 11:37 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

What's the gameplay like?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2014 03:43 PM
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
What's the gameplay like?

Turn based Japanese RPG style sort of. It feels like an arms race. It's great though because you can play it on your smart phone, or PC. For something that's free, it gets extra points. In terms of glitches? I would say that it's pretty robust compared to some of the other titles out there. You should give it a go.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2014 10:14 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Short review of Watch Dogs...

They said it was the first, true next-gen game. Unlike anything that had been played before. A new standard in gaming. Oh Ubisoft... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, not playing your games anymore.

Not going to go too far in to the basics of the game. It's an open-world action game with a hacking mechanic that allows you to do various things that assist you in combat, both on foot and in cars.

SPOILERS. SPOILERY SPOILERS.

Story:

The protagonist is Aiden Pearce, a vigilante hacker that is seeking revenge for the death of his niece. Living in a Chicago where almost everything is linked to one particular software system known as CTOS, he uses the world around him to turn things in his favour. He goes above and beyond, and meets several people along the way that either help or hurt him, and some that even do both.

The actual writing of the story isn't bad. As Aiden you enter a pretty seedy world at times, with the "auction" standing out in particular. The writing is solid in parts, and characters have a very definite "voice" without seeming too samey.

Sadly, the writing doesn't extend well to Aiden himself. He's not a well-written protagonist at all, and mentions of him having a "strong moral compass" were met with a "no he ****ing doesn't." from me. He's not a hero. He's barely sympathetic. He's just less of a scumbag than the people he's fighting, and that's what makes him bearable. I'm sure some will say that the point is that Aiden is a bad guy too, but tbh, the writing in the game doesn't support that assertion. It regularly tries to paint Aiden as the good guy, when he really isn't.

Gameplay:

The main "gimmick" of the game is the hacking mechanic and, thankfully, it lives up to the hype pretty well. As someone who loves toying with enemies (like in the Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham games), the hacking tools give you more than enough options to mess with people. On foot and in cars, you can practically torture enemies, and there is an almost perverse pleasure that can be taken in it.

The only thing that lets the mechanic down, is the inconsistency of how it's distributed. There are some areas full of traps and toys you can play with, and some with none whatsoever. It reeks of bad design, and it's a shame.

Guns are badly implemented. There's a nice selection, sure, and watching bodies go flying from a grenade impact is amusing, but the actual controls are not nearly tight or precise enough. The game lags behind the likes of GTA V, and even Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs imo, when it comes to gun controls. I expect better.

The driving is poor. It's not as bad as say, Just Cause 2, but I expected better. Cars, regardless of size, feel unwieldy, and a lot of the time you feel like you're driving a shopping cart rather than a car.

In a game that relies heavily on gunplay and driving in certain missions, it's not a good reflection on the developers when they aren't as refined as they should be.

Graphics:

The graphics themselves (even on PC) are not terrible. They're serviceable. The game even looks pretty good at night, especially when it's raining. As is known, though, they are nothing compared to E3, and this idea of "vertical slicing" is something that needs to die. Now. These companies need to stop lying to consumers.

Sound:

The sound design isn't terrible. Guns sound all right, and engines revving is satisfying enough. That said, the radio stations have a poor selection for the most part (though ymmv), but the actual orchestral pieces during missions are actually pretty good.

Summary:

Is the game a terrible mess? No. It is enjoyable in parts, and frustrating in others. It's not unplayable, but a good deal of the time, I genuinely felt like this game could have been so much more. It felt unfinished, and, sadly, almost as if the devs had gotten lazy when it came to polish. The game doesn't have the attention to detail that it should, and I can't recommend the game as being a full-price purchase.

It's a 6 out of 10. Maybe a 7, but just barely. Dammit Ubisoft, get your shit together.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 06:21 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Stuff like that is why I find it hard to get hyped for games nowadays.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 07:20 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I only finished story mode yesterday, and tbh, I doubt i'll go back to playing it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 08:03 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by -Pr-
The only thing that lets the mechanic down, is the inconsistency of how it's distributed. There are some areas full of traps and toys you can play with, and some with none whatsoever. It reeks of bad design, and it's a shame.

First of all, nice review.

Secondly, what you describe is usually a time issue. They ran out of time so they didn't polish the game. For me, stuff like that is what separates mediocrity from the classics. Having that finished and clean feel to a game is what makes games like Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime classics (for example).

Based on your review, I'm steering clear of this game. Thanks for saving me time and money. smile

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 08:23 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by -Pr-
Short review of Watch Dogs...

They said it was the first, true next-gen game. Unlike anything that had been played before. A new standard in gaming. Oh Ubisoft... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, not playing your games anymore.

Not going to go too far in to the basics of the game. It's an open-world action game with a hacking mechanic that allows you to do various things that assist you in combat, both on foot and in cars.

SPOILERS. SPOILERY SPOILERS.

Story:

The protagonist is Aiden Pearce, a vigilante hacker that is seeking revenge for the death of his niece. Living in a Chicago where almost everything is linked to one particular software system known as CTOS, he uses the world around him to turn things in his favour. He goes above and beyond, and meets several people along the way that either help or hurt him, and some that even do both.

The actual writing of the story isn't bad. As Aiden you enter a pretty seedy world at times, with the "auction" standing out in particular. The writing is solid in parts, and characters have a very definite "voice" without seeming too samey.

Sadly, the writing doesn't extend well to Aiden himself. He's not a well-written protagonist at all, and mentions of him having a "strong moral compass" were met with a "no he ****ing doesn't." from me. He's not a hero. He's barely sympathetic. He's just less of a scumbag than the people he's fighting, and that's what makes him bearable. I'm sure some will say that the point is that Aiden is a bad guy too, but tbh, the writing in the game doesn't support that assertion. It regularly tries to paint Aiden as the good guy, when he really isn't.

Gameplay:

The main "gimmick" of the game is the hacking mechanic and, thankfully, it lives up to the hype pretty well. As someone who loves toying with enemies (like in the Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham games), the hacking tools give you more than enough options to mess with people. On foot and in cars, you can practically torture enemies, and there is an almost perverse pleasure that can be taken in it.

Guns are badly implemented. There's a nice selection, sure, and watching bodies go flying from a grenade impact is amusing, but the actual controls are not nearly tight or precise enough. The game lags behind the likes of GTA V, and even Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs imo, when it comes to gun controls. I expect better.

The driving is poor. It's not as bad as say, Just Cause 2, but I expected better. Cars, regardless of size, feel unwieldy, and a lot of the time you feel like you're driving a shopping cart rather than a car.

In a game that relies heavily on gunplay and driving in certain missions, it's not a good reflection on the developers when they aren't as refined as they should be.

Graphics:

The graphics themselves (even on PC) are not terrible. They're serviceable. The game even looks pretty good at night, especially when it's raining. As is known, though, they are nothing compared to E3, and this idea of "vertical slicing" is something that needs to die. Now. These companies need to stop lying to consumers.

Sound:

The sound design isn't terrible. Guns sound all right, and engines revving is satisfying enough. That said, the radio stations have a poor selection for the most part (though ymmv), but the actual orchestral pieces during missions are actually pretty good.

Summary:

Is the game a terrible mess? No. It is enjoyable in parts, and frustrating in others. It's not unplayable, but a good deal of the time, I genuinely felt like this game could have been so much more. It felt unfinished, and, sadly, almost as if the devs had gotten lazy when it came to polish. The game doesn't have the attention to detail that it should, and I can't recommend the game as being a full-price purchase.

It's a 6 out of 10. Maybe a 7, but just barely. Dammit Ubisoft, get your shit together.
I have to disagree about the gunplay mechanics. I had a much better, easier and funnier time with Watch Dogs' shooting mechanics than I did GTA V.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 09:36 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Do you agree with the rest?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 09:42 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Yeah.

The game feels rushed. I'm looking forward to a revamped and more polished sequel. Kindda like what happened with AC 1 and 2.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 09:52 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
First of all, nice review.

Secondly, what you describe is usually a time issue. They ran out of time so they didn't polish the game. For me, stuff like that is what separates mediocrity from the classics. Having that finished and clean feel to a game is what makes games like Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime classics (for example).

Based on your review, I'm steering clear of this game. Thanks for saving me time and money. smile

Thanks.

Honestly, my first instinct was that it was exactly that: a time issue. The more I played it, though, and the more I realised just how much extra time they were given to finish the game, I couldn't help but feel like it was down to a lack of motivation, rather than time.

Cool. I honestly think the game will be worth a go when it drops in price in a sale. It's not a train-wreck. I just don't tend to buy many games at full price unless i'm absolutely sure they're worth it.

I have to disagree about the gunplay mechanics. I had a much better, easier and funnier time with Watch Dogs' shooting mechanics than I did GTA V.

For me it was the opposite. I don't expect everything to "snap" to the enemy, but compare it to say, Spec Ops The Line, or the Splinter Cell games. The aiming just felt... Weak, to me, in Watch Dogs.

Yeah.

The game feels rushed. I'm looking forward to a revamped and more polished sequel. Kindda like what happened with AC 1 and 2.

A part of me wonders if they did that intentionally. Ubisoft said a while back that they wouldn't make games unless they could be franchises, and one way to ensure people pick up the sequel is to ensure you fixed all the broken shit in the first game.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 10:27 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

This is Ubisoft so that is entirely possible

Old Post Jun 30th, 2014 10:45 PM