KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best Open-World Games of ALL TIME.

Best Open-World Games of ALL TIME.
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Best Open-World Games of ALL TIME.

GTA Series.

Even as a stand-alone, Sleeping Dogs' storyline and climax was a ****in masterpiece imo.

The original Saints Row games were in a league of their own, and if we're gonna be honest, the Saints Row 3 and 4 were pretty good. SR4 is the only Open-World game besides DCUO where you are basically a superhero (No, the Arkham series doesn't count), not to mention it brings Johnny Gat back, and that new Saints Row game looks BAD-ASS.

Far Cry games... Dear... God.

Just Cause 2...

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 12:21 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Either GTA3 (might be 5 but let's see how well it ages) or Skyrim/Fallout.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 12:46 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Open World? None of the ones you listed would show up on my "best" list.

Fallout: New Vegas
Skyrim

I have yet to play GTAV, however. Based on what I see, it may nab the top spot.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Either GTA3 (might be 5 but let's see how well it ages) or Skyrim/Fallout.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 12:46 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I tried Sleeping Dogs and I didn't like it. It had some neat ideas but it tried to be an John Woo version of GTA but without the excellent production values.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 12:47 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Of the ones I've played, these are the ones I think I liked the most:

Okami (although I'm on the fence if this can qualify as an open-world game.)
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood & Assassin's Creed Black Flag/Rogue
Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
Far Cry 4
Shenmue

Since you say the Arkham games are excluded, I did not list any of them. Would Shadow of the Colossus count?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Last edited by Demonic Phoenix on Dec 4th, 2014 at 03:10 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 03:07 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

True Crime: Streets of LA
True Crime: Streets of New York
GUN
KOTOR/KOTOR II
Jade Empire
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Mass Effect Series
Witcher 2 & 3

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 03:39 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

You've played Witcher 3?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 04:38 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Yes...

Let's be serious though. We know CD Projekt RED is gonna knock it out of the park. The gameplay vids alone have me quivering with excitment

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 04:41 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Even if it looks good you can't be sure. A lot games come out buggy messes nowadays too.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 06:11 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by KingD19

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
My nigga...

Probably doesn't count though, sadly.

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 06:56 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Even if it looks good you can't be sure. A lot games come out buggy messes nowadays too.

Inquisition has it's share of bugs. Doesn't really detract from the open world feel though. However I do get what you mean.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:19 AM
KingD19

Originally posted by NemeBro
My nigga...

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

Totally should count. I spent Dragon Age hours on that game, doing a playthrough for every Clan, etc, etc...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:19 AM
Estacado
Legendary

My faves are

Skyrim
Fallout 3
Far Cry 4
Gta 5
Dragon's Dogma
Black Flag

Yet have to play the new Dragon Age

Bankai.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:21 AM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by NemeBro
My nigga...

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

Everything that you said here I agree with but I have to add DA3 Inquisition, and ES Oblivion. You don't remember the feeling you had when you first played Oblivion? I was floored by the game. Oh yea Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited by Stoic on Dec 4th, 2014 at 06:42 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 06:38 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

LoZ, 1986.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 06:42 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
LoZ, 1986.

Legend of Zelda? Yeah that was a great one, I remember playing it while listening to Zeppelin. Arcanum of Steamworks, and Magicka Obscura wasn't really 100% open world, but for a PC title it was awesome. They should redo this game. If handled properly it would put some of the best open world games to shame.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:06 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Twilight Princess
GTA V
Arkham City
Infamous

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:16 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

For me personally.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl

Fallout 3

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

That's a small amount but there is loads I could list.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:23 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Amalur is a great game. If they could somehow mix that games mechanics with Dragon Dogma's,, and make huge world (10X larger than Dragon's Dogma) it would probably be the best game that anyone has ever played. Well so long as the graphics are up to par, and item discovery was similar to what you get in the Elder Scroll games.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 07:48 PM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Stoic
Everything that you said here I agree with but I have to add DA3 Inquisition, and ES Oblivion. You don't remember the feeling you had when you first played Oblivion? I was floored by the game. Oh yea Dragon's Dogma.
Oblivion didn't seem up to par with Morrowind to me, honestly.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2014 10:31 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote