KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best Survival horror(s) you've played

Best Survival horror(s) you've played
Started by: Reflassshh

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Best Survival horror(s) you've played

From atari days to current generation, what are some of your favorite survival horror games?

You can make a brief review of it/them if you feel like it.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 07:18 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

RE4 and Dead Space.

RE4 because it was absolutely terrifying and intense. Every encounter on the first playthrough was nerve racking and you had to expect crazy shit will happen.

Dead Space for the freaky atmosphere and excellent gameplay mechanics. Also, the scenes where you get chased by the unkillable necromorph was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had.

I would also say Condemned (and sequel) was equally intense as well....and probably some of the best levels in survival horror.

Last edited by Smasandian on Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 12:10 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Silent Hill 2 easily on top for me, when it comes to horror. It may also be tied with Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. These two are the king and queen.

Third Place would have to be the REmake, I think.

Dead Space also gets an honorable mention, and likely fourth place.

My fifth spot would have to go to Amnesia: The Dark Decent. TBH, it may actually be tied with Dead Space (possibly beat it, I cant really decide).

I think RE4 is more action horror than survival horror, and even horror may not be a good word to describe it. That said, its my all-time favorite video game.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 01:18 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Resident Evil still has my vote for number one.

Dead Space is amazing. Easily second.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 02:55 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Good choices so far guys thumb up

Resident evil is up there in my book, though unlike most fans for me it's REmake/1>>> CV> 3> 2>>> The rest.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 03:12 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It depends on what you describe as survival horror.

I would make the argument that if Dead Space is survival horror then RE4 is as well. Both do roughly the same thing. Even though RE4 had more action, you still had to conserve ammo and survive against pretty tough odds. There was nothing more terrifying than getting chased by the chainsaw dude with just a shotgun to hold him back.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 03:44 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The best for me was SH1.

Other favorites are RE4 and Clock Tower 1.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 10:40 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Clock Tower was one freaky mofo.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 12:51 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rascaduanok
any% speedrunner

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian RE4 because it was absolutely terrifying and intense. Every encounter on the first playthrough was nerve racking and you had to expect crazy shit will happen.

Even though RE4 had more action, you still had to conserve ammo and survive against pretty tough odds. There was nothing more terrifying than getting chased by the chainsaw dude with just a shotgun to hold him back.
I agree with you whole–heartedly on this one. The first time I played it, I experienced the same sort of fear and anxiety I did playing through the original game.

There were plenty of quiet moments where I thought to myself: “I know something evil is just about to happen. I don’t want to go down there!”

Riveting.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 03:21 PM
Rascaduanok is currently offline Click here to Send Rascaduanok a Private Message Find more posts by Rascaduanok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Clock Tower was one freaky mofo.

It was.
Not only was it scary, it was hard as hell.

I kept dying hundreds of times. Fortunately, there's a snapshot save option on the NES emulator.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 03:36 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Aliens: Colonial Marines thumb up

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 04:28 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

thumb down

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 05:24 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

As much as I liked RE1,2 and 4 as well as Silent Hill I think Alan Wake was my favourite from a plot and setting POV. Really enjoy it every time.

Gotta give Undead Nightmare an honourable mention as well.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 01:09 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Resident Evil 5

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: In all seriousness, Resident Evil 2 is the best survival horror I played.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Feb 4th, 2015 at 01:16 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 01:14 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The first three Resident Evil games for me. 1 being the most frightening. From 4 onwards, they just never did it for me, but that's me.

Silent Hill 1 & 2 are up there too.

RE1 or Silent Hill 2. Both are awesome.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 01:29 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Silent Hill 2. Hands down.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 01:36 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

@Pr and Quan thumb up

RE1 and SH1/2/3 are gold.

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Feb 4th, 2015 at 03:11 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 02:56 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I total forgot about Alan Wake. That game was awesome and ****ing scary as well.....

I love Remedy made games.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 03:02 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I totally forgot to say what I mean to about Resident Evil 3. While it isn't as much of a horror game as it is an action-horror, that ****ing Nemesis was a ****ing terror the first time I played it (back when it first came out).

Sure there were jump scares, but that constant tension about whether he was going to enter the room you were in, or whether he'd be in the next room, did something that I honestly think makes the game stand apart, if even a little.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 03:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rascaduanok
any% speedrunner

^ During my first time playing, I recall the initial couple of times I faced him he totally creamed me, so every time he appeared after that I fled, terrified.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 06:24 PM
Rascaduanok is currently offline Click here to Send Rascaduanok a Private Message Find more posts by Rascaduanok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote