KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Video Game delays are awful

Video Game delays are awful
Started by: robotflug

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
robotflug
Restricted

Account Restricted

Video Game delays are awful

Its a common thing when video game companies suffer from over-promising and failing to deliver the games, it does not help how they keep pushing the games release too many times and falsely hyping people.

(please log in to view the image)

Examples of delayed video games that were mediocre or just bad.

1.Duke Nukem Forever
2.Mighty No. 9
3.Aliens: Colonial Marines
4.APB: All Points Bulletin
5.SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs
6.Wheelman (2009 game).

The video game developers have a very bad habit of crying wolf.

Old Post May 1st, 2019 04:19 PM
robotflug is currently offline Click here to Send robotflug a Private Message Find more posts by robotflug Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

At least with Aliens: Colonial Marines it was fixed up on PC with a mod.

Old Post May 2nd, 2019 12:37 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
robotflug
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji

True the PC version was fixed with a patch, video game developers always fail to keep their word and like to delay games so much it gets unbearable.

Old Post May 8th, 2019 03:07 PM
robotflug is currently offline Click here to Send robotflug a Private Message Find more posts by robotflug Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

That's why I prefer indies and small devs.

AAA trades big budget high production values for rushed deadlines and executive meddling.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 8th, 2019 04:48 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
Is it like actually GOOD?

Like would you recommend it to pick up?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 8th, 2019 05:39 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I don't mind delays tbh. I mind incomplete/broken products. Devs can take all the time they need IMO

PWNT

Old Post May 8th, 2019 06:34 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

I'll take delays over releasing an unfinished POS with the mindset of "we'll fix it later," which sometimes doesn't even happen, any day.

Old Post May 8th, 2019 06:36 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Re: Video Game delays are awful

Originally posted by robotflug

Examples of delayed video games that were mediocre or just bad.

Too Human.

Old Post May 8th, 2019 11:41 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I don't mind delays tbh. I mind incomplete/broken products. Devs can take all the time they need IMO

Originally posted by emporerpants
I'll take delays over releasing an unfinished POS with the mindset of "we'll fix it later," which sometimes doesn't even happen, any day.

Same here. thumb up

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post May 8th, 2019 11:47 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

People also forget that delays allow developers more time and in theory, better working hours. Release dates can cause employees of developer firms to work insane hours for months.

Maybe it would be a good thing for a delay if it means people get there weekends and normal working hours.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 12:21 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by robotflug
True the PC version was fixed with a patch, video game developers always fail to keep their word and like to delay games so much it gets unbearable.

Daikatana is another good example for this thread's topic, Which too was fixed up by people recently.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 02:35 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

As mentioned before delays give developpers the possibility on engaging in healthier practices and work their wages in a sustainable lifestyle that cares for game creators.

The examples of delays given in the opening post aren't really shinning beacons of good business practices and putting the money into decent venues to improve game making and production.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 9th, 2019 09:20 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Bentley
As mentioned before delays give developpers the possibility on engaging in healthier practices and work their wages in a sustainable lifestyle that cares for game creators.

The examples of delays given in the opening post aren't really shinning beacons of good business practices and putting the money into decent venues to improve game making and production.

Duke Nukem Forever is pretty much perfect, imo.

Often, delays happen not to refine a product, but due to poor management decisions which hinders devs on any time table.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 02:58 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
robotflug
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bentley

Shigeru Miyamoto claims "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

What Miyamoto says is full of crap, the top 6 games I listed in the opening post were delayed many times does that make them good, No it does not.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 03:05 PM
emporerpants

So is your opinion that because SOME delayed games were bad all delays in general are bad? That seems...silly. Going by Nintendo, they delay their games all the time and they are AMAZING. Should we do a list of games that were delayed and turned out awesome? Does that disprove the point you are trying to make? Going by your logic it should, given the fact that you seem to think a few examples of delayed games being crap means delays in general are bad. I take it you like the trend of game companies releasing unfinished buggy garbage instead of delaying it and actually finishing the game? So can I use Anthem, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, etc. as examples for why not delaying games leads to garbage games? What is your answer to that?

Old Post May 9th, 2019 03:30 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
robotflug
Restricted

Account Restricted

So is your opinion that because SOME delayed games were bad all delays in general are bad? That seems...silly. Going by Nintendo, they delay their games all the time and they are AMAZING. Should we do a list of games that were delayed and turned out awesome? Does that disprove the point you are trying to make? Going by your logic it should, given the fact that you seem to think a few examples of delayed games being crap means delays in general are bad. I take it you like the trend of game companies releasing unfinished buggy garbage instead of delaying it and actually finishing the game? So can I use Anthem, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, etc. as examples for why not delaying games leads to garbage games? What is your answer to that?

The point of what I am saying is that Shigeru Miyamoto should not generalize the idea if a game is delayed its forever good. does that mean he thinks bad or mediocre games that were delayed many times are forever food like the 6 listed in the OP?.

Video Game developers like to cry wolf many times and get everyone hyped up for no reason as they delay the games way too much.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 04:16 PM
cdtm

Again, delays can't fix poor management.

Anthem is actually a good example of how bad decisions break games, no matter how much time passes.

Really, the major problem is consumers throwing money into obvious schemes that don't improve a game. Loot boxes, early access full priced garbage, promises that take months or years to be realized, if ever.

I'm a pretty stingy bastard, who never sinks a dime into micro transactions, rarely buys dlc, and would rather wait on a game to be sure it's worth my time, instead of pre-ordering every new thing just to stay "relevant".

If everyone was like me, the industry would need to work harder to release the best quality goods, and not **** around with their core audience.

But if people are willing to throw money at them based on promises, hype, or "paid cheat codes", who can blame the company for chasing easy money?

Time has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 06:09 PM
emporerpants

People seem to be coming at this as some kind of zero sum game here. It isn't. Sometimes games get delayed and they suck. Sometimes they get delayed and they are better for it. Sometimes a game sucks because it's released unfinished to make a deadline. Sometimes a game sucks because of poor management and design decisions. Are delays fun? No, nobody likes to wait extra time for something they want. However, I would rather have more games get delayed than be released unfinished, and yes, I know that sometimes the problem has nothing to do with time, but sometimes it does. Again, we can always go back to Nintendo. They delay all the time for the right reasons it seems, as their games are usually polished to a sheen. The original point of the thread seems to be that delays suck and games shouldn't get delayed, to which I say sometimes delays are necessary, and I would rather have a delayed game than an unfinished one, even though sometimes the problem is that management sucks. The thing is though, if the game sucks because management sucks, then it is going to suck regardless of a delay or not. Delaying a game can potentially help it be a better experience, although not always. Releasing an unfinished game to fix it later almost always sucks.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 08:52 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, pretty much depends on the individual game. A delay is not inherently good or bad, it can be either/or.

Old Post May 9th, 2019 08:53 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by cdtm
Duke Nukem Forever is pretty much perfect, imo.

Its about a 7/10 game

most people expected it to be the 2nd coming of Duke Nukem and in the end was disappointed in it.

Old Post May 10th, 2019 05:38 AM