KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » How big is your game collection?

How big is your game collection?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

How big is your game collection?

I've gotta be boasting around 500 physical games, what about ya'll?


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 04:44 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

500 physical games? Jesus christ why? I could see why you might have that many if you include digital because of stuff like humble bundle and steam sales. But physical only?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 07:10 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Gender: Male
Location: Australia

When it comes to digital

Steam - 459 (including DLC too because it does) & with GOG - 169

i do have physical games too many to count.


__________________

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 09:57 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

15ish...I usually trade them in once I'm done.
But I rarely buy physical games anymore.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 11:55 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Click here to Send Smasandian a Private Message Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
500 physical games? Jesus christ why? I could see why you might have that many if you include digital because of stuff like humble bundle and steam sales. But physical only?
Why not? It creates options in case stores shut down for that device (like the PSP's playstation store).


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 01:35 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Gender: Male
Location: United States

Account Restricted

Probably only have around 30 or so physical games and most of those are games I regret buying.


__________________
Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 01:38 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Gender: Male
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Moderator

I probably have somewhere around 500 if you count all the games for all the systems i have, including like the NES and Genesis and what not.


__________________

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 04:44 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

Maybe around 30-50 physical games, at a guess. Most of those are PS2 games bought on sales, and more recent purchases from a local retro store.


A lot more if you include digital stuff in various libraries, from givaways and deep sales.


__________________
There is an inverse relationship between a principle and a "but". We all have the "but's", including myself, but if your "but's" start outweighing the principles, you just might be talking out of your "butt".

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 04:48 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

I just don't think it's a good idea to risk it if (like me) you think, maybe not anytime soon, but 20-30 years down the line, Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo could POSSIBLY SOMEHOW go bankrupt, or there could be a video game crash, anything could happen.

Plus, there was a point where I had only a PS2 and a PS Vita, and neither of them really hit my gaming needs, nor did I have a lot of money to buy games (or systems) that would if I could, my gaming needs consisted of massive open-world Action-RPG's akin to Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

So now I buy as many games that fit my interest as possible and as many systems as possible so being bored or left without a console or game that fits my needs is an absolute impossibility. (I buy tons of movies as well, but it's nowhere near as large as my game collection.)


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Last edited by Jmanghan on Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:36 PM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 11:33 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

Steam - 178
Battle.net - 1
Uplay - 26
Origin - 33

PSN/PS2/PS3/PS4 - Maybe two or three dozen.


__________________

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 11:42 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Steam - 178
Battle.net - 1
Uplay - 26
Origin - 33

PSN/PS2/PS3/PS4 - Maybe two or three dozen.
If we're counting steam then my collection is a lot bigger, according to my "games" section on my profile which I think doesn't count free games, I have 365 of em.


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 01:10 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I just don't think it's a good idea to risk it if (like me) you think, maybe not anytime soon, but 20-30 years down the line, Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo could POSSIBLY SOMEHOW go bankrupt, or there could be a video game crash, anything could happen.

Plus, there was a point where I had only a PS2 and a PS Vita, and neither of them really hit my gaming needs, nor did I have a lot of money to buy games (or systems) that would if I could, my gaming needs consisted of massive open-world Action-RPG's akin to Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

So now I buy as many games that fit my interest as possible and as many systems as possible so being bored or left without a console or game that fits my needs is an absolute impossibility. (I buy tons of movies as well, but it's nowhere near as large as my game collection.)


In most cases, those games will be available somewhere else. However, there has been cases where IP's ownership has been muddled so having a physical copy could be beneficial. But in this day in age, the idea of losing out on your digital copies seems to be the same chance of somebody stealing, breaking, losing your physical copy.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 01:28 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Click here to Send Smasandian a Private Message Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
In most cases, those games will be available somewhere else. However, there has been cases where IP's ownership has been muddled so having a physical copy could be beneficial. But in this day in age, the idea of losing out on your digital copies seems to be the same chance of somebody stealing, breaking, losing your physical copy.
But... tbh chances are in 100 years, there will be at least 10 physical copies around regardless of what game you want, and sadly that just won't be the case with digital. I mean it MIGHT, but you'll have to keep repurchasing it.

Like for example in terms of the PSP, I guarantee you I'll be able to find a copy of something like "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker", "Final Fantasy Dissidia", and "Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII".


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 05:10 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

100 years from now, I doubt many physical game will still be working. Not to mention the console.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why not? It creates options in case stores shut down for that device (like the PSP's playstation store).


Assuming you've been playing for no more than 20 years, that 2 game very month... How do you find the time?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 05:38 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
But... tbh chances are in 100 years, there will be at least 10 physical copies around regardless of what game you want, and sadly that just won't be the case with digital. I mean it MIGHT, but you'll have to keep repurchasing it.

Like for example in terms of the PSP, I guarantee you I'll be able to find a copy of something like "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker", "Final Fantasy Dissidia", and "Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII".


I bought Sid Meires Pirates remake when it was released mid 2000. Eventually I traded it in (when you still could). I had to repurchase the digital version last year because I was like nostalgic for it...and I paid $2...the same amount I pay for a coffee. Am I really going to hold all my physical games (385 on Steam, maybe 20ish on different platforms) so I save myself $5 down the road? Meh.

Physical copies are going away...you can see it starting with the new console releases (PS5 has an non disc version), Xbox moving towards Game Pass and its streaming service. If there is a new console after these (and I would not be suprised if this is the last generation), it will probably be all digital.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 12:13 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Click here to Send Smasandian a Private Message Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Gender: Male
Location: USA

Fairly large, definitely in excess of a hundred. The number has remained stagnant over the last decade or so, though, since everything went digital with this past generation.


__________________

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 01:24 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Gender: Male
Location: Champion's Field

Most of my games are digital now. Not having to pay the extra 10 dollars in tax for full price games really adds up. Plus it is way more convenient.


__________________

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 10:07 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I bought Sid Meires Pirates remake when it was released mid 2000. Eventually I traded it in (when you still could). I had to repurchase the digital version last year because I was like nostalgic for it...and I paid $2...the same amount I pay for a coffee. Am I really going to hold all my physical games (385 on Steam, maybe 20ish on different platforms) so I save myself $5 down the road? Meh.

Physical copies are going away...you can see it starting with the new console releases (PS5 has an non disc version), Xbox moving towards Game Pass and its streaming service. If there is a new console after these (and I would not be suprised if this is the last generation), it will probably be all digital.
All I'm saying is as an old man you'll have had to repurchase that game 5-6 times.


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 10:09 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Batman Land

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
100 years from now, I doubt many physical game will still be working. Not to mention the console.



Assuming you've been playing for no more than 20 years, that 2 game very month... How do you find the time?
So you're saying the PSP, which sold 82 million copies across all different regions, and it's best-selling game which sold 8 million itself, aren't going to be around in 100 years?

There's no reason to believe that as long as you take care of them and are fairly immaculate with them, they'll stick around, yes I know the NES is nowhere near 100 years old, but think about how many NES's you can still buy, hell you can still pick up an original gameboy.

I bought an NES in-box for my uncle just as a christmas present and it worked fine and is still working to this day as far as I know.

Yes the number will go down, but you can even find BRAND NEW unopened NES's, go check ebay right now, I guarantee you'll find at least 5.

The likelihood of there not being at least 50,000 working PS2's 100 years from now is very low, especially when there are tech-savvy people around to replace parts.

Here's a friggen PS1:


__________________
Thanks Scribble!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Last edited by Jmanghan on Jul 12th, 2020 at 10:25 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 10:23 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United States

I never said that all of them won't be working I said I doubt many will be. And yes, I believe that's very accurate. 50,000 is a very small number comparatively speaking. The price to buy a working PS would be enormous. Plus the newer consoles have a relatively shorter lifespan.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 10:32 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 01:52 PM.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » How big is your game collection?

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.