KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Amazing games that aged horribly?

Amazing games that aged horribly?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Amazing games that aged horribly?

Topic.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 02:50 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Triick question, good games are always perfect. Modern shitty games aged horribly as soon as they were born.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 03:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

The Assassin's Creed Ezio games. Story is still phenomenal, controls are an absolute mess.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 06:30 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Ctdm's top 100 games. And Digimon World 3.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 06:35 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The Assassin's Creed Ezio games. Story is still phenomenal, controls are an absolute mess.

Playing 2 on the 360 right now. Don't see a problem with it.

It's like F.E.A.R., the controls being non standard doesn't make them bad. Just different.

And both games came before there were standards anyways, product of the times.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 07:04 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

For me, as much as the last 3 AC games fall way short of the Ezio trilogy in plot and characters, the combat and agility controls are miles ahead of the older games with the exception of counter attacking and combo-ing multiple opponents. They old games just feel clunky to me now.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 09:48 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

For me, as much as the last 3 AC games fall way short of the Ezio trilogy in plot and characters, the combat and agility controls are miles ahead of the older games with the exception of counter attacking and combo-ing multiple opponents. They old games just feel clunky to me now.

I prefer thinking of it as "authenticity".

When I bought the PC Halo game, I refused to play it with a keyboard and mouse, because I wanted as close to an experience as they would have had back when it was first released.

I've since softened on that, adding all kinds of mods and life conveniences.

I still like flipping back and forth between modern and "If I was playing it back then".

Old Post Mar 25th, 2021 10:37 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

"Authenticity" when attempting to play old PS1 games with only a D pad leaves a lot to be desired 😄

Old Post Mar 26th, 2021 12:15 AM
cdtm

"Authenticity" when attempting to play old PS1 games with only a D pad leaves a lot to be desired 😄

Well I mean, that was how I played them on the PS1. 😤

Old Post Mar 26th, 2021 12:21 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Soul Reaver 1's save system. Doesn't matter where you save your game in the world you still end up back in the Underworld area when you load it up

apart the outdated save system its still a good game.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2021 05:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by cdtm
Well I mean, that was how I played them on the PS1. 😤

Same. Trying to play most of those games nowadays is rage inducing. PS1 games might have aged the worst of all consoles. The middle stick on the N64 may have given me thumb blisters from hours of pushing forward to run while playing Ocarina of Time but I can at least still play it and enjoy these days. Most PS1 games get rage quit within minutes.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2021 01:06 AM
StyleTime

Playing 2 on the 360 right now. Don't see a problem with it.

It's like F.E.A.R., the controls being non standard doesn't make them bad. Just different.

And both games came before there were standards anyways, product of the times.

FEAR controls were mostly the standard FPS stuff though. The melee controls were kinda dumb though. I loved the series, but I didn't even bother using it. FPS attempts at melee systems are generally trash anyway. Just stick to a knife swipe or punch and move on.

The game I think sits in a weird territory is Jetforce Gemini. I loved that game, but holy **** those controls feel atrocious now. It was limited by the N64 controller's one joystick, but it also just made really weird choices with the other buttons even for that time.

Rare themselves gave updated control options for the Rare Replay thing in 2015. They basically said "yeeaaaah....we've learned a lot since then. "

Last edited by StyleTime on Mar 28th, 2021 at 06:54 AM

Old Post Mar 28th, 2021 06:48 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by StyleTime
FEAR controls were mostly the standard FPS stuff though. The melee controls were kinda dumb though. I loved the series, but I didn't even bother using it. FPS attempts at melee systems are generally trash anyway. Just stick to a knife swipe or punch and move on.

The game I think sits in a weird territory is Jetforce Gemini. I loved that game, but holy **** those controls feel atrocious now. It was limited by the N64 controller's one joystick, but it also just made really weird choices with the other buttons even for that time.

Rare themselves gave updated control options for the Rare Replay thing in 2015. They basically said "yeeaaaah....we've learned a lot since then. "

The zoom thing was a weird toggle of pressing one of the analog sticks in, instead of the standardised pulling on the left trigger.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2021 01:45 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

FEAR doesn't have many guns that utilize ADS. It is very similar to Half Life 2.

But I will add FEAR to this list of games that aged...maybe not horribly.

I loved FEAR when it came out...and I love most Monolith Software games but the horror element of the game has not aged at all. The combat is good, the AI is still OK...and the story elements are fun...but the horror and jump scares do not have the same impact like they do before. I think it's the graphics...

Compare that too RE4, where I still get freaked out by being chased around the village in the opening act...

Old Post Mar 28th, 2021 05:41 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Lot of great PS1 games look like shit now on HDTVs. The graphics styles just don't work well anymore.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2021 10:11 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by BackFire
Lot of great PS1 games look like shit now on HDTVs. The graphics styles just don't work well anymore.

Thought Armored Core and Final Fantasy 9 looked better on my LCD compared to the CRT.

Using components for the HDTV and composites on the CRT though.

Plus it's a 32 incher, 720p TV. So that might have something to do with it.

They say it all really depends on how your TV upscales. A friends no name looks like absolute ass.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2021 10:15 PM
StyleTime

The zoom thing was a weird toggle of pressing one of the analog sticks in, instead of the standardised pulling on the left trigger.

Yeah, but I said "mostly". It's not Jetforce Gemini where you're left wondering why the **** would the jump button be the on the C-pad.

Originally posted by Smasandian
FEAR doesn't have many guns that utilize ADS. It is very similar to Half Life 2.

But I will add FEAR to this list of games that aged...maybe not horribly.

I loved FEAR when it came out...and I love most Monolith Software games but the horror element of the game has not aged at all. The combat is good, the AI is still OK...and the story elements are fun...but the horror and jump scares do not have the same impact like they do before. I think it's the graphics...

Compare that too RE4, where I still get freaked out by being chased around the village in the opening act...

thumb up

I haven't replayed FEAR, but it definitely leaned heavily into jump scares. They were well done, but I'd imagine knowing where everything happens would soften the impact.

Pretty much. The polygon wasn't as fortunate as the pixel art look. The FF9 remaster smoothed over the models so it because it kinda just looks ugly now.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2021 01:10 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's true. It's hard to say if it's due to knowing the jump scares or not...but it's been a very long time since I played it and I don't remember all of them.

It's hard to explain but I started playing it a few weeks ago but I was not feeling it anymore. Yes, the shooting is still viable but seeing Ada is not as impactful as it was before and that is a major part of the game.

For instance, Monolith's other game Condemned is still freaky as shit because the encounters are still scary enough to warrant slowly walking through the environment. FEAR...I was just blasting through and then boom, Ada runs across my screen...yeah, not doing it for me anymore.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2021 02:02 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Super Mario 64 and Morrowind off the top of my head.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2021 05:33 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Depends what cables you use too.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2021 06:35 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote