KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo sucks.

Nintendo sucks.
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Nintendo sucks.

I mean as a company, some of their games are fine.

I hate how they always finagle these exclusivity deals, at the expense of everyone else. For Yacht Club Games to get Shovel Knight on a Nintendo system, they needed to pony up a limited time exclusive for the Plague Knight dlc. The rest of us on Steam or PS4 or Xbone just had to wait.

And they got super exclusive content for Hyper Light Drifter, that no one anywhere gets.

And Crimzon Clover got a brand spanking new version on the Switch called World Explosion. Steam was included in this announcement, yet a year later we still have the older World Ignition version. Want to bet this is because Nintendo put pressure to dely the update, so their 20 buck version doesn't compete with the 10 dollar Steam edition? We may never get it, who knows?

Stuff like this is common, even though Nintendo is hardly the biggest market. Steam has them beat by a mile, and I bet Sony and MS are bigger combined, yet Nintendo gets all the leverage and all the best stuff. The rest of us just have to wait or do without.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 02:58 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Sony also does this. They got expansion packs for Destiny a year before Microsoft. I think there was a few other games that had the same deal but I cannot remember them.

Maybe Call of Duty......

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 03:33 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I dont really like ANY GAMES on nintendo......

Super Mario Brothers is the only NINTENDO game I care for......

I like older consoles better......

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 07:13 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Nintendo sucks.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
I mean as a company, some of their games are fine.

I hate how they always finagle these exclusivity deals, at the expense of everyone else. For Yacht Club Games to get Shovel Knight on a Nintendo system, they needed to pony up a limited time exclusive for the Plague Knight dlc. The rest of us on Steam or PS4 or Xbone just had to wait.

And they got super exclusive content for Hyper Light Drifter, that no one anywhere gets.

And Crimzon Clover got a brand spanking new version on the Switch called World Explosion. Steam was included in this announcement, yet a year later we still have the older World Ignition version. Want to bet this is because Nintendo put pressure to dely the update, so their 20 buck version doesn't compete with the 10 dollar Steam edition? We may never get it, who knows?

Stuff like this is common, even though Nintendo is hardly the biggest market. Steam has them beat by a mile, and I bet Sony and MS are bigger combined, yet Nintendo gets all the leverage and all the best stuff. The rest of us just have to wait or do without.

So you're saying the company sucks because they get the coolest stuff without proof they put pressure on the companies to do this?

I'm sure they did the same thing with Capcom and MH Rise, or how about Square Enix with Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 08:58 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Except with Dragon Quest XI it was released on the other consoles too not just Switch.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 09:18 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
Except with Dragon Quest XI it was released on the other consoles too not just Switch.
I know, I meant it had exclusive content that it launched with that the other versions didn't get till later.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 12:36 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

They can do whatever they like as long as they keep feeding me old school style jRPGs like Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, and the upcoming Triangle strategy game.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 02:34 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by Arachnid1
They can do whatever they like as long as they keep feeding me old school style jRPGs like Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, and the upcoming Triangle strategy game.

Omg, Octopath Traveler looks awesome. Eight characters with 8 paths?

It gives me FF6 mixed with Saga Frontier vibes. I need to play this.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 03:42 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Trocity

It's pretty good, tbh. I mean most of the characters are kind of one-note tropes, but their backstories give them more life, very unusual to see in any RPG and the tropes that they are were done pretty well by them.

It's kind of like... they each come from a FAR different background, the way they fight, the different actions each member does

There's a few problems that aren't spoilers and some things you should know.

1. The final boss is far and away the hardest boss in the entire game by a lot, can only be accessed via a SIDEquest, and you need to use all 8 party members to beat them. There's 2 phases, 1 where you use 4 and another where you use the 4, so it kind of forces you to use all 8 of your party members THROUGH-OUT the game as opposed to only during their storylines. I'm sorry if you feel like I said too much there but it's kind of important to note, if you don't do a very particular sidequest you won't get to fight the final boss.

If there's a party member you aren't a fan of... it sucks, but you have to use them and grind with them extensively if you wanna stand a shadow of a chance against the final boss.

2. The party members don't ever directly interact with each other in their respective storylines. There are little optional player-initiated actions you can do, kind of like Star Ocean's "Private Actions", when you're at a bar. The characters will talk, but it has no bearing on the story. They do not acknowledge each other during any story moments whatsoever, I haven't played in awhile but their sprites don't even show up, so it's like you're controlling one character during these moments, it sucks.

3. The story and sidequests can get very confusing? Not from an actual storytelling point of view, but more that it's very difficult to figure out what to do. Sometimes directions are given directly but a lot of the time they're given vaguely. A lot of the time there is no direction given, and you just need to go from town to town trying to figure out what to do. You don't have to do this too much in the main quests, but the sidequests are a ****ing nightmare in that regard. "Where did that little girl go? Oh... She's on the other side of the map... Great..."

Taking note of those three things, and some advice, pay attention to the little details during each story, they matter a LOT more then you might think.

That's about it. I didn't know if you were planning to get it for sure or not but I figured I'd give you a little run-down. Keep in mind, even with the knowledge of all of these, you may still be forced to use a guide.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 04:52 PM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Trocity

FF6 is my favorite JRPG, and it's not quite on that level, but I'm enjoying it. I'm actually making my way through it right now, and it's fantastic.

It's biggest sin though is that the 8 paths don't really ever overlap. It feels like it doesn't really make sense as to why the group banded together so far, whereas the FF6 cast always made sense to me and has great synergy. They should have done a better jon intertwining everyone, unless something changes drastically towards the end.

It's biggest plus is the FANTASTIC combat though. That made the entire game for me.

These are the same guys making Triangle Strategy btw (which is like a mix of Fire Emblem and Octopath)

PWNT

Old Post Apr 4th, 2021 09:30 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

cdtm actually did nothing wrong for once, he's right, **** Nintendo they can suck my cock. thumb up

Old Post Apr 5th, 2021 03:32 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

Meh, I love Nintendo. I find their games tons of fun and usually quite polished, which is rare lately. I quite like their focus on gameplay and fun. If someone doesn't find their games fun, fair enough, but I find them quite enjoyable. Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games ever.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2021 05:20 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

I can't believe people are whining that a company has exclusive content.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2021 07:15 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

My problem with Nintendo is that I want them to expand on their creative teams and start making different games without going back to the tried and true.

The other problem is that the games are rarely on sale and are stupid expensive even years later.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2021 11:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The shitty thing about Nintendo is how they handle rereleases and the like. Their digital catalogue of old games seems to get reset every generation and you have to rebuy the games again even though the games are no different than they were the prior generation.

Plus they do bullshit like they did with the Super Mario 3D all stars game or whatever it was called. They're not a very consumer friendly company.

They make some obviously great games and clever hardware, but they really butt **** their customers.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2021 02:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I forgot about that....

Old Post Apr 6th, 2021 11:43 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Most of their digital catalogue now is behind their subscription service. As mentioned in another thread, I do like how games from their oldest systems now have online play for the ones that were 2 player, but it would be better if you could get them individually like you could before, in the case of having the best of both worlds.

Agree otherwise though on how they handle re-releases. This here was their rationale for the Mario 35th collection, which unfortunately worked in the case of people buying it in droves. I blame covid too in part in the case of people just wanting to buy anything to fill the void while not being able to do much else (yay hyper consumerism), but still.

quote:
"They have data that shows that rereleases of games tend to wither on wishlists," said a developer who's been involved with publishing several games on Switch, who asked to remain anonymous because they were not permitted to publicly discuss their meetings with Nintendo. "The manufactured FOMO [fear of missing out] helps them get those sales, or so they think."

I knew what they were going for with this shit, and refused to support it just on that. They've always been a scalper's best friend too in how they do this. Needless to say the fear of missing out syndrome has always been a thing, but is amplified now by social media.

Then you have the joycon drift issue which they downplay and are still getting sued over, not that their competition's any better when Sony followed in their footsteps with the PS5 controller drifting.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2021 12:27 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Thanks for the info on Octopath Traveler.

Gonna hold off for now because it's still pricey and I'm currently playing through something anyway, but it sounds like a fun game. Will definitely get it at some point.

The party not really interacting with each other is definitely unfortunate, though.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2021 01:09 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote