KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Last of Us Remake

The Last of Us Remake
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

The Last of Us Remake

According to reports, it's what we needed! Apparently!

https://www.polygon.com/22375435/th...ays-gone-sequel

quote:
Fans will be happy to hear The Last of Us is getting a remake for PlayStation 5. But some developers inside Sony aren’t happy with how that came together, or what it means for PlayStation’s vaunted first-party development going forward, according to a report Friday morning from Bloomberg.

The account, by Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, describes how Sony’s Visual Arts Service Group — a support-oriented studio located in San Diego — took on a PS5 remake for 2014’s The Last of Us with approval, but without much support from above, then saw it handed over to original developer Naughty Dog.

The Visual Arts Service Group was then relegated to a support role, as well as assigned to help Naughty Dog complete the delayed The Last of Us Part 2 that launched last summer for PlayStation 4. As a result, the group’s founder left Sony altogether, Bloomberg reports.

Polygon has reached out to a PlayStation representative for additional comment. The company declined to comment for Bloomberg’s report, which does not say when The Last of Us’ PlayStation 5 remake is expected.

Friday’s report describes a senior leadership at PlayStation obsessed with big hits, critically as well as commercially. For example, Bloomberg says Sony Bend Studio’s pitch for a sequel to 2019’s Days Gone was rejected, and part of the studio was told to assist Naughty Dog on two other projects, one of them a new Uncharted game. The Oregon studio is now working on a new game of its own, Bloomberg said.

Naughty Dog has been a Sony-owned studio for nearly 20 years, helming two franchises — Uncharted and The Last of Us — that have generated multiple award-winning titles, as well as television and cinematic adaptations. In one light, deference to a proven hit-maker, especially where its own IP is concerned, is reasonable. But Bloomberg’s story notes that the Visual Arts Service Group took the initiative to develop The Last of Us’ PS5 remake, but only got provisional approval to continue with it, and no budget to hire more developers to make it.

The report comes on the heels of a major shift at Sony’s development arm in Japan. In February, Sony Interactive Entertainment reorganized its Japan Studios team, effectively doing away with the developer (and talent) behind smaller, more experimental PlayStation games like Ape Escape, Knack, Gravity Rush, and LocoRoco. What remains is Team Asobi, the developer behind the Astro Bot series, including the built-in PS5 showcase Astro’s Playroom. That move signaled a shift from more modestly sized games developed in Sony’s home territory to blockbuster Western franchises like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, and The Last of Us.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 01:56 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Move over Resident Evil 4, you're no longer the most pointless remake ever announced. The Last of Us is a great experience and it hasn't even been that long to warrant a remake of all things. PlayStation seriously destroyed the little guys like Japan Studio for this?!

Last edited by Nemesis X on Apr 10th, 2021 at 02:09 AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 01:59 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Resident Evil 4 remake was never pointless stfu

PWNT

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 03:49 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I don't think RE4 is a pointless remake either. It's old and dated enough to see how they can do things better.

But this is dumb. I have no interest in buying this. I literally played the remastered version before the sequel and it still holds up completely. It's one of my favourite games out there and near perfect.

They shutdown Days Gone 2...which I also enjoyed. There is potential in a sequel . In fact, I would say Days Gone is a better game than Ghost of Tsushima because at adds something new to the genre.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 04:41 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

In what areas is RE4 old and dated enough that it needs to be remade? Is still perfectly playable by today's standards and has been ported to every main platform since its release. Code Veronica needs the modernizing far more.

Seems to me the only reason the RE4make's happening is because the original's a hugely popular trendsetter and will make money almost no matter what they do with it, much like the reason for this TLOUmake existing. Creatively bankrupt industry.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 05:48 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree, I would rather have Code Veronica remade completely instead of RE4....for sure. I wouldn't mind them remaking the original RE game before RE4.

So yeah, I think Capcom can wait on a remake of RE4 after doing others in the series. It also makes sense to wait for RE4 at the end because you know people would buy it.

But I would love to see RE4 with completely new graphics...it could make the game incredibly atmospheric and creepy...and I would love to see modified controls. I just don't think it's the most pointless remake....

This remake is ridiculous. what a waste of time. Sony supposedly has greenlighted another Uncharted game and cancelled any Days Gone sequel (even though the game ending on a pretty big twist that could make a sequel pretty cool). It's funny that Sony is going down this road because what made them a bucket load of money is all the new IP they had during the PS4.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 01:12 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I have no interest in another Uncharted game...I barely had interest in Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy expansion......get Naughty Dog to work on something new....

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 01:13 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Yeah what PlayStation had going on were the amount of exclusives that'd get pumped out frequently and still be fun & enjoyable. But now cancelling games, demolishing small yet popular studios and diverting their staff & resources to stupid things like Astro's Playroom or this remake and what's practically authoritarianism over creative vision at this point oughta show how full on derp Sony and it's PlayStation CEO have gotten. Had they pulled this kind of crap back in 2013, would be mocked & ridiculed at.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 07:04 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The strange thing, I'm actually really disappointed that they are not going to make another Days Gone.

The horde mechanic was amazing and made the world terrifying (even near the end of the game where you were all decked out in gear)...and the sawmill sequence was ****ing brutal and it really felt like being in a zombie movie.

It's a bit annoying that there will most likely be Uncharted 5 (who needs this?), Last of Us 3 and most likely a sequel to Ghost (which I rather not have over Days Gone)...though I am looking forward to Horizons 2.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2021 08:58 PM
Impediment
Endless

This is a shameless cash grab.

F*ck Naughty dog.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 12th, 2021 03:17 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm usually all for remastered and remakes. I like seeing older games in a new light.

But yeah, I would agree on this one. Considering I played it recently, it still felt fresh and I can't think of anything that needs to be done to it aside from new graphics....but I don't think they are needed. It still looks great.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2021 03:37 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

After LoU2 fu them

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:57 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 05:17 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Meh.....Resident Evil 2 Remake made sense. It's old, newer games have much better mechanics and stuff....

This...is an almost perfect game.....it doesn't not need to remade. What a waste of developer resources.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 05:27 PM
cdtm

Should have done a retcon of 2. Or at least a non canon branching story like Dead Rising did with "Off the Record".

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2022 05:47 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

THIS. DID. NOT. NEED. TO. EXIST.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2022 06:55 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's hard to tell graphics on cutscenes. In game is probably a much different story and I assume 60FPS.

But I would agree, it didn't need to exist....and that's coming from somebody who generally enjoys remakes.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 12:09 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Zzz

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 02:16 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's hard to tell graphics on cutscenes. In game is probably a much different story and I assume 60FPS.

But I would agree, it didn't need to exist....and that's coming from somebody who generally enjoys remakes.

Never can tell, Transformers Devastation couldn't keep a solid 60 fps on Xbox 1 despite being on the 360 and PS3.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 02:19 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Why not remake good games instead of a mediocre game like The Last of Us?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 04:42 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote