KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil 0
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil 0, known in Japan as biohazard 0, is a survival horror video game that was developed and published by Capcom for the Nintendo GameCube and released in 2002. It is the seventh home console game in the Resident Evil series by release order and was the last of the title to use the original Multi-View gameplay system prior to the release of Resident Evil 4.

A remastered, high-definition version of the game was released in January 2016, known in Japan as the biohazard 0 HD remaster. It was also included in the Origins Collection. A port of the remaster was released on May 21, 2019 for the Nintendo Switch.

Wanted to talk about this game as I play it, couldn't find a thread, but it had an HD remaster that was ported to Switch in 2019 so I think a thread finally being made is justified.

This is a thread to talk about both the original game and the remaster.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 27th, 2021 05:45 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I really liked this one.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 28th, 2021 02:12 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Disliked the inventory system for RE 0 apart from that it was a okay game.

Old Post May 28th, 2021 06:00 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

****ing stupid save system. Accidentally used 2 ink ribbons because I like to make multiple saves, don't ask me why, but it's just a thing I've always done. I like to save 3 times in the same place.

Rebecca ended up on "danger", couldn't find any healing items, then died. Stupid stupid save system.

Old Post May 28th, 2021 08:14 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The save system is no different to Resident Evil 1.....maybe its you're screw up erm

Old Post May 28th, 2021 11:11 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

The save system is no different to Resident Evil 1.....maybe its you're screw up erm
I've never played Resident Evil 1. RE4 is the only RE game I've ever beaten, I'm just way into the lore.

People complaining about Saviour Schnapps in Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be complaining about Ink Ribbons in RE the same way.

Old Post May 28th, 2021 11:24 AM
StyleTime

I should give you a heads up since you're planning on playing the originals too.

In the main series, every game before 4 uses ink ribbons.

It was part of their approach to building tension. There was a sacrifice for basically everything you do. You had to manage resources or else you'd wind up with no ribbons left.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 28th, 2021 at 07:47 PM

Old Post May 28th, 2021 07:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I've never played Resident Evil 1. RE4 is the only RE game I've ever beaten, I'm just way into the lore.

People complaining about Saviour Schnapps in Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be complaining about Ink Ribbons in RE the same way.

Except people aren't, People have gotten used to using Ink Ribbons.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 02:58 AM
Jmanghan

Except people aren't, People have gotten used to using Ink Ribbons.
It's still a bad game mechanic. It was bad in 1996 and it's bad today.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 06:38 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

It's still a bad game mechanic. It was bad in 1996 and it's bad today.

Says one person on the internet.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 06:49 AM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by StyleTime
I should give you a heads up since you're planning on playing the originals too.

In the main series, every game before 4 uses ink ribbons.

It was part of their approach to building tension. There was a sacrifice for basically everything you do. You had to manage resources or else you'd wind up with no ribbons left.
It didn't make me tense though, it just made me angry when I died.

If anything even with the infinite typewriter in RE4 I felt farrrr more tense, and definitely more scared, I legit jumped several times in RE4. RE0 has done nothing to generate any type of fear in me.

Yes it sucks and I guess you could say I was nervous but when I died it just made me want to stop playing.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 10:16 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Doesn't most typerwriters have an item box right beside them were you can just put the ink ribbons there anyways.

I just ink ribbons an unnecessary item where negatives far outweigh any positives.

Alien Isolation save system is by far way more intense than anything RE has ever done and it doesn't use a save item.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 01:19 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian
Doesn't most typerwriters have an item box right beside them were you can just put the ink ribbons there anyways.

I just ink ribbons an unnecessary item where negatives far outweigh any positives.

Alien Isolation save system is by far way more intense than anything RE has ever done and it doesn't use a save item.
They didn't have an item box in RE0, which was one of the biggest complaints for the game.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 01:35 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yes, that's right. I didn't like RE0. I played the first game HD remake remastered remastered legendary edition and still enjoyed it...even with the flaws.

I started 0 and turned it off soon after. I did not like it.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 05:22 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian
Yes, that's right. I didn't like RE0. I played the first game HD remake remastered remastered legendary edition and still enjoyed it...even with the flaws.

I started 0 and turned it off soon after. I did not like it.
That sucks because Rebecca is a prominent character in later games and Billy seems pretty likable and the original bad-ass canon-wise, guess I'll just watch a playthrough.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 08:30 PM
StyleTime

It didn't make me tense though, it just made me angry when I died.

If anything even with the infinite typewriter in RE4 I felt farrrr more tense, and definitely more scared, I legit jumped several times in RE4. RE0 has done nothing to generate any type of fear in me.

Yes it sucks and I guess you could say I was nervous but when I died it just made me want to stop playing.

I gotta call shenanigans a bit here though. You blew threw all your ink ribbons at once, for no particular reason I might add, and are blaming the game for it. That doesn't make it a bad mechanic. You knew exactly how many ink ribbons you had, and you chose to gamble by using all of them. The games give you enough that you should have some left over tbh.

I'm using tension in the more general sense, although I'd question how far you are into the game if RE4 scared you. It's intended to cause stress moreso than outright fear. It's the survival aspect of survival. You have to weigh the cost of using extra ink ribbons against trying to explore more without saving. We've lost that a bit in the modern era of RE, so newcomers are unprepared when going back to play older entries.

Granted, ink ribbons or their equivalent are present on higher difficulty modes for some modern RE titles.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 29th, 2021 at 09:27 PM

Old Post May 29th, 2021 09:17 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by StyleTime
I gotta call shenanigans a bit here though. You blew threw all your ink ribbons at once, for no particular reason I might add, and are blaming the game for it. That doesn't make it a bad mechanic. You knew exactly how many ink ribbons you had, and you chose to gamble by using all of them.

I'm using tension in the more general sense though. It's intended to cause stress moreso than outright fear. It's the survival aspect of survival. You have to weigh the cost of using extra ink ribbons against trying to explore more without saving. We've lost that a bit in the modern era of RE, so newcomers are unprepared when going back to play older entries.

Granted, ink ribbons or their equivalent are present on higher difficulty modes for some modern RE titles.
I used them accidentally after coming off a newer game, yes, and then I got severely punished for it and lost like 30-40 minutes of progress.

Old Post May 29th, 2021 09:26 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

So you're blaming the game for your own screw up basically.

Old Post May 30th, 2021 02:22 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Jman ranking high on the spectrum is hardly the game's fault.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 30th, 2021 05:52 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

So you're blaming the game for your own screw up basically.
I'm blaming the RE games for using Ink Ribbons, Silent Hill games are way scarier and they never did any of that BS.

RE is one of the only survival horror games that use limited saves.

When they were in KC: D everybody complained about the limited saving like it was the end of the world, but when someone complains about something similar in a game like this it's automatically invalid.

Why would a game want to purposefully piss me off? Dark Souls didn't piss me off as bad when I lost to Ornstein and Smough 20+ times as I did dying after having no more ink ribbons in RE0.

Old Post May 30th, 2021 06:47 AM