KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat 1
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Mortal Kombat 12

As I'm sure you've all no doubt heard by now: MK12 was announced not with a banging cinematic trailer but a whimper via leaked earnings calls and will be out this year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/mortal...or-2023-release

How's everyone feeling about another one after 11?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2023 11:45 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

The last good MK was 9.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2023 11:53 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Is funny how Ed Boon and company expressed wanting to do something different after MK11, but when the state of WB became in disarray in more recent times, they had to go back to doing what makes the most profit; MK with NRS, and I dont think that many are mourning Injustice now, all things considered. It died with Kevin Conroy I guess.

After MK11 though and the state it left me in as a longtime fan of the series, all I can think about is how theyll muck up aspects of MK12 rather than how I could be potentially excited for it.

I guess they would have to try to actually have a worse villain boss than Kronika; Armageddon Blaze and Dark Kahn at least had the excuse of being in rushed games, but Kronika they took their time with and was still one of the worst antagonists.

As far as the writing I still dont even want to think of what kind of story they would have too with another timeline reset. Will have a long yawn if it is yet another retelling of MK1, 2, and 3.

Some better default skins for the characters like before would be nice. I think MK11 purposely had trash skins for the default characters in order to make you grind for the better ones. Sub-Zero, etc.

Or how about not bastardizing the Krypt with an RNGfest this time? Every little thing I can think about with 11 still makes me bemoan modern MK, and to top it off, NRS games are only supported for a year or two before WB just moves on to the next thing, while Capcom supports whatever latest entry of their flagship franchise for ages, leaving you with a roster twice as large as an NRS game by the end usually, making every little use out of their game engine.

Other fighting game franchises have spoiled me I guess, but MK fans literally have to fight for scraps between what long absent characters they want to see return most and only get one or two of those if lucky, apart from still having most of the ones that debuted in MK 1 through 3 to appeal to nostalgia there while also limiting roster variety and creativity, and then whatever 3rd party guests WB gets the rights for to draw in more casuals that dont usually get in to MK much to begin with. So much division to where you can only make certain subsets of the fanbase happy.

Will take any 3rd party over Cole Young though; one thing most fans of old and new seem to agree on at least.

Oh, and dont have Ronda Rousey as the voice for Sonya again, ever.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Feb 28th, 2023 at 12:21 AM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 12:18 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I'm expecting microtransactions to rival Suicide Squad's and more cringe plot. Liu Kylo Kang killing his past self has no consequences but gets his legs broken when Shao Kahn smashes the younger Liu Kang's still can't believe someone wrote.

And at the end of the day if I was still somehow wanting this and the roster turns out good, you know the standard priced Komplete Editions with all the DLCs are never that far away when it comes to NRS' games.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Feb 28th, 2023 at 12:27 AM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 12:25 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I hope MK 12 plays alot more like alot more like MK X.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 01:26 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Meh, Tekken 8 is coming out in a year.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 01:54 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Meh, Tekken 8 is coming out in a year.

Little conflicted between that and Street Fighter 6. That be having a mode similar to Deception's Konquest and a custom character you can use in that even. Enough with roaming the stupid krypt, MK needs that again.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 02:11 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/..._NM2udMgu8BGKVQ

Just from a year or so ago, but amazing how MK managed to climb to the top of the fighting game series lifetime sales. Would be happier with the news if I was still a fan of the current direction of MK, but as it is.. Meh. After awhile it felt like they just dumbed down so many of their characters (Shao Kahn, etc) to appeal to a broader audience, aside from everything else said in my last post.

I would be ecstatic for another Konquest type mode again though, yeah. There is a reason Deception is still considered one of the GOATs despite the mixed reception of the 3D era and Shujinko.

The chapter based story system has overstayed its welcome and unless it would consistently have playable chapters for more of the bad guys (so they wouldnt be mostly all jobbers) like MK11 Aftermath started to do, am ready to see it go.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 01:33 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

The fodder was actually the weakest part of MK 9, it sucked seeing virtually half the cast killed off by the end. Really it was all about the nostalgia, once the story went off in its own direction it became even worse then the timeline it replaced.

Kind of like what happened in the movie verse with 1995 movie being the definitive experience with an awesome cast, 1997 Annihilation being several steps down not least of all for Johnny Cage being unceremoniously killed off at the start, and the ridiculous modern movie turning the entire cast into supporting characters for an unnecessary bland as dry toast original character.

So yeah, the video games are keeping with the tradition.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Feb 28th, 2023 at 03:22 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2023 03:17 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dante158
The Soul Stealer

Idk if MK 12 would be as good as it was. I need to find out at least i guess

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2023 05:47 AM
Dante158 is currently offline Click here to Send Dante158 a Private Message Find more posts by Dante158 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I've really enjoyed the last few Mk games. The single player campaigns are fun and I love going throug the Krypt stuff. For someone who plays exclusively singler player content MK is probably the best fighting game series there is.

That said I'm surprised they're doing MK12 already. I expected a new Injustice or something and MK11 feels fairly new still. Also I seem to remember Boon saying that Mk11 was the last MK game that they'd make for quite a long time.

Either way, I'll probably happily play the new one and enjoy it.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2023 10:28 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by cdtm
The fodder was actually the weakest part of MK 9, it sucked seeing virtually half the cast killed off by the end. Really it was all about the nostalgia, once the story went off in its own direction it became even worse then the timeline it replaced.

Kind of like what happened in the movie verse with 1995 movie being the definitive experience with an awesome cast, 1997 Annihilation being several steps down not least of all for Johnny Cage being unceremoniously killed off at the start, and the ridiculous modern movie turning the entire cast into supporting characters for an unnecessary bland as dry toast original character.

So yeah, the video games are keeping with the tradition.

thumb up

MK's storytelling had a certain nuance to it before, but only see it as mindless entertainment now aside from certain nostalgia bits. Nothing for me to really take or analyze seriously with any of the characters anymore, for the most part.

Originally posted by BackFire
I've really enjoyed the last few Mk games. The single player campaigns are fun and I love going throug the Krypt stuff. For someone who plays exclusively singler player content MK is probably the best fighting game series there is.

That said I'm surprised they're doing MK12 already. I expected a new Injustice or something and MK11 feels fairly new still. Also I seem to remember Boon saying that Mk11 was the last MK game that they'd make for quite a long time.

Either way, I'll probably happily play the new one and enjoy it.

MK9 is arguably my favorite in the series, and MKX I enjoyed almost as much; only the story and certain parts of the roster were a step down, but MK11... Did pretty much everything wrong for me as previously described. The Krypt RNG, etc.

Like I said, Injustice may have just died with Kevin Conroy. Hard to say for sure, but after awhile I just didn't care much for Boon's edgy brand of DC, much as I enjoyed the first game. Sick of evil Superman takes and all that.

And yeah, Boon did say that MK11 was the last planned MK for awhile, but with the increased state of disarray WB got into in more recent times, they had to go back to doing what makes them the most profit and getting more investors again; MK in NRS's case.

Not sure what else Boon was wanting to do though; MK is mostly all he's known for, but he does appear to have a certain fatigue with running the series at this point. So I was curious as to what else he had planned, but here we are.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2023 11:54 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I think he said at some point he'd like to do an adventure game or an RPG or something.

Could be that's the reason he's doing 12 so soon. Maybe there was an agreement with WB that they'd let him do a passion project if he did MK12 as his next game or something.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2023 11:36 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I'm just waiting for the trailer.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Mar 12th, 2023 03:01 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by BackFire
I think he said at some point he'd like to do an adventure game or an RPG or something.

Could be that's the reason he's doing 12 so soon. Maybe there was an agreement with WB that they'd let him do a passion project if he did MK12 as his next game or something.

I’m a huge fan of the MK lore and characters, but I’m not a big fighting game aficionado. If they did a good MK RPG, or adventure game I’d be all over that.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Mar 12th, 2023 06:07 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Fans had been wanting a Shaolin Monks sequel or spiritual successor of some kind for ages, so wouldn't get my hopes up there. MK can't even get MK 1-3 remasters/remakes without them getting cancelled. More on that here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pNd-i4ykM

Other genre experimentation for MK pretty much died with Midway, as WB only allows mainline competitive fighting game releases that they know will make the most money, along with said games being increasingly predatory with DLC, microtransactions, etc.

I actually liked the Sub-Zero Mythologies adventure game from back in the day, but can understand why it didn't do well or wasn't well received for the most part, and Special Forces afterward was the final nail in that coffin.

John Tobias was the main proponent for MK adventure spinoffs, while Ed Boon at the time just wanted to stick with the fighting games, and after Special Forces failed, the two OG creators of the series split and the MK team remained forever fractured.

That said, I'll be surprised if Boon actually has a change of heart about other genre takes on MK. If he does do some kind of adventure or RPG, it may not necessarily be related to MK.

Oh, there is that upcoming MK Onslaught mobile game, but it's a mobile game, so yeah.

Scorpion in a business suit: Get your money over here!

Old Post Mar 12th, 2023 10:30 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'd also be up for Shaolin Monks to be remastered.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:47 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

About what I would expect for the presentation of a current gen MK title. Is touted as a "new era" for the series too with a new timeline, clean slate, and all that, but seeing stuff like Shang Tsung as a pre-order character (who was just DLC in the previous game no less), I already question what has really changed. lol

Old Post May 18th, 2023 09:23 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wonder if the villain will be Shao Khan with Kang killing off Shang Tsung or unless its a new villain with Liu Kang messing around with the timeline

also the talk of the Kameo fighters system to assist you, That's straight up out of Marvel vs Capcom 1.

Old Post May 19th, 2023 03:56 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Shang Tsung being part of this story feels like a given. Don't take the first trailers too seriously, like Scorpion killing Sub-Zero in the MKX trailer or Scorpion killing Sub and Raiden in the MK11 debut trailer. No more of that Scorpion wank I guess is refreshing with that said, though I hope Liu Kang's not some unstoppable protagonist again and someone out there can still be a threat to him.

As for Shao Kahn, I hope not. If not Shang, would prefer either a new villain or one that hasn't been used in awhile like Onaga.

Pretty mixed on the kameo fighter assist system. Still a better fate for anyone than being dialogue intro or arcade ending fodder though.

While 3D era fans are naturally most worried about seeing their requested characters as kameos, I'd say some of the MK1, 2, and 3 debuted characters aren't safe either. If they make Reptile a cameo again after MK11, I'll complement NRS for their boldness given his popularity (would prefer him being a full fighter though), but Ermac being a cameo again would sting for me admittedly.

Old Post May 19th, 2023 04:11 AM