KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

http://www.amazon.com/The-Name-Wind...e/dp/0756404746

I recently started The Name of the Wind. I love the way this book is written. Even the dullest moments are fun to read. The main character is a bit narcissistic/arrogant, but thats overlookable considering how well made he is. All the characters and relationships in this book are believable. There were characters that were around for a max of 50 pages before they died or disappeared, and I still found myself actually sad about the loss.

The magic system he created is interesting too. I won't get into it too much, but it has an actual intellectual basis as to how it works instead of it being a flick-of-the-wand plot device. It has limits, and comes off as plausible which is rare for a fantasy novel.

If you haven't read it, the words I've given it doesn't do it justice. I highly recommend you check it out. You wont be disappointed. There are two books out right now. The last will likely come out in 2016, so there is a bit of a wait but it'll be worth it.

For those of you who have read it, what did you think?

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post May 5th, 2015 06:50 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Freaking phenomenal. Can't wait for the third book.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2015 09:07 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Freaking phenomenal. Can't wait for the third book.
Same. I was disappointed that I'd have to wait once I finished the second book. :/

PWNT

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 02:30 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

I like the series... I totally hate Kvothe though. Auri though is awesome and the little short story Rothfuss did for her is so different than anything really and amazing. I am really waiting for the next book but from all I heard its gonna be a while because he's helping GRRM write Winds of Winter...

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 02:28 AM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Kento
I like the series... I totally hate Kvothe though. Auri though is awesome and the little short story Rothfuss did for her is so different than anything really and amazing. I am really waiting for the next book but from all I heard its gonna be a while because he's helping GRRM write Winds of Winter...

I agree about Auri and the short story - perfectly awesome. Why do you hate Kvothe, though? I really like him as a main character.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2016 01:14 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I agree about Auri and the short story - perfectly awesome. Why do you hate Kvothe, though? I really like him as a main character.
Just not a fan of the type of personality his younger self has. Can't stand them for the most part. His present self isn't so bad its just his past self that makes me not like him. The story is great though and the characters are done well. His two friends from school are like two of my favorite characters after Elodin and Auri. haha

Old Post Jul 5th, 2016 03:47 AM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Fair enough. It would be much worse if you found him boring or one-dimensional. I actually like him precisely because of his flaws - being an arrogant little brat makes him a lot more interesting than a little goody two-shoes. Glad you are enjoying the rest of the books, though!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2016 09:35 AM
Kento
The last Hokage

I kinda want to see if I can find the book that has Bast's story in it. But Idk if its worth buying one book with a bunch of stories I don't know anything about for one small story.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2016 10:53 PM
Balgoritin8
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice

Old Post Mar 7th, 2024 05:16 PM
Balgoritin8 is currently offline Click here to Send Balgoritin8 a Private Message Find more posts by Balgoritin8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote