KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » I have a question about POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl

I have a question about POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Started by: iwhisperinpink

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
iwhisperinpink

I have a question about POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl

OK, towards the beginning of the movie when Captain Jack and Will are getting ready to commendeer a ship, theres a small part where they take a canoe to get out to the ship, well in one slight clip they show them completely submereged underwater and then cut to next shot where you see their heads above water still under the canoe and then cut to the next scene where they're completely submereged underwater again. Am i just stupid or did i miss something? how could they be completely submereged underwater but have there heads above water?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 02:20 PM
iwhisperinpink is currently offline Click here to Send iwhisperinpink a Private Message Find more posts by iwhisperinpink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I think you need to watch the scene again.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 02:23 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
blackpearl44

Yea, I think you should watch that scene again, if you want to figure it out.....lol.....

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 02:43 PM
blackpearl44 is currently offline Click here to Send blackpearl44 a Private Message Find more posts by blackpearl44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iwhisperinpink

i've watched it numerous times...i must really be missing something

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 03:23 PM
iwhisperinpink is currently offline Click here to Send iwhisperinpink a Private Message Find more posts by iwhisperinpink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnnyBloom
humiliated grapes

Ok, lets clear this up - not everyone is as obsessed as the rest of us ...

the idea is that they have trapped an air bubble inside the boat so that they can walk along the sea-bed without being spotted. the reason they are holding the boat over their head is so that the bubble doesn't, well, bubble upwards and then they're left without air. their heads look like theyre above water because their heads are in the air bubble inside the boat - which is why you see teh shot of them walking along the floor holding a boat above their heads.

... all cleared up??? laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 03:54 PM
JohnnyBloom is currently offline Click here to Send JohnnyBloom a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyBloom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iwhisperinpink

sort of....thankyou for being the only who didnt make me feel stupid for not knowing

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 04:26 PM
jessigem
<3 who? ec.

what she said.
and that's why will says "this is either mad or genius" and then jack says "it's amazing how often those two come together."
or something like that.

MapleSugar is my hero happyJoin the Raver Club! Now raver
Isen grädde smörgås

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 04:26 PM
jessigem is currently offline Click here to Send jessigem a Private Message Find more posts by jessigem Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnnyBloom
humiliated grapes

its amazing how often those two traits coincide ... laughing out loud lol!!!

and don't worry about it - no-one knows everything and this happened to be the thing that you didn't understand!!! Don't worry!!

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 08:08 PM
JohnnyBloom is currently offline Click here to Send JohnnyBloom a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyBloom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

It wasn't that hard of a question. You see them under water with a canoe over head and then you see their heads with a canoe over head and you see Will get his foot stuck in a cage.

But a better question would be if the curse made the pirates immortal then how did Bootstrap Bill get killed?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 01:57 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnnyBloom
humiliated grapes

well he was tied to the canon right?? which is obviously too heavy to drag along the floor behind him as he walks so he's stuck there for years and years.

i assume that either davy jones said i'll cutyou off the canon if you work for me, ... or that when will put all the coins in the chest with his blood he made him mortal again and so killed his own father (which is pretty stupid if you ask me).

i'd always assumed that will had killed him, but with the appearance of davy jones in 2nd film, the other theory formed in my head ...
i'm not sure, but that's my answer to the question.

ok, my good question about potc1 ... is

a) how do the skeleton pirates move if they have no muscles ... surely there's nothing there to make the bones move around

and

b) if it's your scalp (ie skin) which holds your hair onto your head, why do these skeletons have hair ... surely it would all fall out (or it should just not be there like their skin)

ha - answer me that

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 02:01 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

a) how do the skeleton pirates move if they have no muscles ... surely there's nothing there to make the bones move around

Because they are not really skeletons. They are cursed and once the curse is broken they will no longer be skeletons. So it is simple; since they are cursed they are both skeletons and nonskeletons but if they are cursed why would they be dead? After all a curse isn't a curse if one gets to rest in piece unless that curse is meant for them not to succeed in something they wanted more then ever that involves them not dieing.

b) if it's your scalp (ie skin) which holds your hair onto your head, why do these skeletons have hair ... surely it would all fall out (or it should just not be there like their skin)

Not true. Many skeletons have been found to have hair on top of their heads.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 02:07 PM
jessigem
<3 who? ec.

to answer the question about bootstrap correctly.......
he never REALLY died. when he was sent down with the cannon, he was trapped under water. he was stuck under water with no way to die because of the curse. so i guess he just got bored underwater and that's when he sold his soul to jones. big grin

Isen grädde smörgås

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 02:52 PM
jessigem is currently offline Click here to Send jessigem a Private Message Find more posts by jessigem Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnnyBloom
humiliated grapes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ESB -1138

Because they are not really skeletons. They are cursed and once the curse is broken they will no longer be skeletons. So it is simple; since they are cursed they are both skeletons and nonskeletons but if they are cursed why would they be dead? After all a curse isn't a curse if one gets to rest in piece unless that curse is meant for them not to succeed in something they wanted more then ever that involves them not dieing.

Not true. Many skeletons have been found to have hair on top of their heads.

a) - they are skeletons ... its not that the rest of them is invisible ... they are just bone.
b) - yeah, but dreadlock and charms?? come off it. i appreciate that skeletons have hair, but these people had full heads of hair after having been pilaging for more than 8 years!!

and jessi - how do we know he never died - for all we know will did kill him and then he made his deal with davy jones??

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:15 PM
Lady_Depp
Johnny's Girl

haha yepp.. the boredom lol haha well yeh something along them lines hey wink

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:18 PM
Lady_Depp is currently offline Click here to Send Lady_Depp a Private Message Find more posts by Lady_Depp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnnyBloom
humiliated grapes

although i suppose davy jones wouldnt make a deal with someone who was dead - but he can bring people back to life so ... who knows??

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:20 PM
jessigem
<3 who? ec.

i know he never died because Bootstrap said it himself in deadman's chest.
something like "i was trapped, unable to live unable to die. so i sold my soul for servitude."

Isen grädde smörgås

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 04:16 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by JohnnyBloom
a) - they are skeletons ... its not that the rest of them is invisible ... they are just bone.
b) - yeah, but dreadlock and charms?? come off it. i appreciate that skeletons have hair, but these people had full heads of hair after having been pilaging for more than 8 years!!

and jessi - how do we know he never died - for all we know will did kill him and then he made his deal with davy jones??

Because the curse made them immortal. You seen the pirates walking at the bottom of the ocean. And if the curse makes them immortal how could Bootstrap be killed?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 04:17 PM
jessigem
<3 who? ec.

ANOTHER reason why he didn't die. thankyouverymuch. sheesh.
and what does it matter whether the skeletons have hair or not. if they didn't, we wouldn't be able to tell them apart. and it's a CURSE. who know's what the full exent of the curse is and what happens to you once you are cursed. and whether they have hair or not doesn't affect the movie........

Isen grädde smörgås

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 04:27 PM
iwhisperinpink

oh lordy...look i have started. All i wanted to know was the answer to a simple question. Thankyou to those have answered it nicely...and no thankyou to the ones who made me feel like an idoit. i'm just as loyal of a fan as you all are.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 04:57 PM
LovelyOne

Originally posted by iwhisperinpink
sort of....thankyou for being the only who didnt make me feel stupid for not knowing

awww. Its a bit confusing. Apparently that wouldn't be possible in real life at the depth they were at so in a way you are right for questioning the scene smile

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 05:32 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote