KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Lord Cutler Beckett

Lord Cutler Beckett
Started by: Escape81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lord Cutler Beckett

Any thoughts on this one eeevil scumbag?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 03:34 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

He is a short man..and short men usually hate the world..

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 03:38 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Davy Jones owns him! Yarrgh!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 03:43 PM
Swirly Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
blackpearl44

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LovelyOne
He is a short man..and short men usually hate the world..

LOL!!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:09 PM
blackpearl44 is currently offline Click here to Send blackpearl44 a Private Message Find more posts by blackpearl44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

yeah agreed about that short man thing. IMO he is a eunuch. hehehe. he's a creepy scumbag that Liz should have shot when she had the chance.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:12 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by katelovespirate
yeah agreed about that short man thing. IMO he is a eunuch. hehehe. he's a creepy scumbag that Liz should have shot when she had the chance.

I actually like his character...

Think about it: he could potentially cause more problems than anyone. He's now in control of the heart of Davy Jones, which means he can hypothetically control the seas.

To top it off, he has the power and naval fleet of the East India Trading Company.

What I especially like about the character is that he is not a coward, and has no problem facing a dangerous Elizabeth at gun point. He maintained a calm, threatening edge.

Tom Hollander did an uber job.

But Bill Nighy is forevermore the god of villains...

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:20 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

eh i dont know... the actor did a fantastic job, i agree, but i dont think this character is brave. I think he is just incredibly cynical. he has no regard for human life. nothing is personal to him, its just his job, its just getting what he's after. he doesnt know Will or Elizabeth, or Norrington for that matter, and he has no qualms about interrupting a wedding to lock them up. hehe actually its probably a good thing the wedding didn't happen.

as for the navy power, they were supposedly hot on the trail of the pearl in the 2nd film, and he used that knowledge to blackmail Gov. Swann. But we never saw them, the ships all returned, and no harm was done to the pearl. Hence, the navy isnt all that powerful- not yet anyway. in the next one it probably will be.

His line "Everyman has a price he will willingly pay, even for what he hoped never to sell" i think does some serious foreshadowing on the 3rd film....

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:26 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

As mentioned by Lovethemtigers

He also sees right through Liz. He suggests to her that she's stealing the letters for Jack and she's like "NO NOT FOR JACK FOR WILL" basically over reacting at the suggestion. He smiles as if he's thinking "oh wake up and smell the coffee!"

He also seems to hint that Liz's robbed wedding is actually fate intervening..(he knows about davy Jones remember) and there is a massive hint in this movie that Will is going to have a similar destiny.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:32 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

maybe beckett and Jack have a secret alliance, Jack hired Beckett to break up the wedding and send Will off on a stupid mission, while Jack waited for Liz to show up in Tortuga, which of course she would, because of the letters of Marque.

hahahaha yeah crazy theories are fun. smile

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:36 PM
blackpearl44

^^ That would be a shocker.....

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 04:42 PM
blackpearl44 is currently offline Click here to Send blackpearl44 a Private Message Find more posts by blackpearl44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
eh i dont know... the actor did a fantastic job, i agree, but i dont think this character is brave. I think he is just incredibly cynical. he has no regard for human life. nothing is personal to him, its just his job, its just getting what he's after. he doesnt know Will or Elizabeth, or Norrington for that matter, and he has no qualms about interrupting a wedding to lock them up. hehe actually its probably a good thing the wedding didn't happen.

I disagree.

Beckett didn't have any problem facing Elizabeth - who is notorious for her split-second antics and occasional irrational behavior - after robbing her of her "wedding night", imprisoning her, and blackmailing her fiancee into embarking on a ridiculously dangerous mission.

She was even armed, and he dared to taunt her - and even threaten her with the fact that he would "still want that compass", implying he would stop at nothing to achieve it.

quote:
as for the navy power, they were supposedly hot on the trail of the pearl in the 2nd film, and he used that knowledge to blackmail Gov. Swann. But we never saw them, the ships all returned, and no harm was done to the pearl. Hence, the navy isnt all that powerful- not yet anyway. in the next one it probably will be.

They were? I was under the impression that that was just Norrington and his men, and not the East India Trading Company. Furthermore, in the beginning, we see dozens upon dozens of soldiers leaving ships and putting Port Royal under the East India Trading Company's control.

quote:
His line "Everyman has a price he will willingly pay, even for what he hoped never to sell" i think does some serious foreshadowing on the 3rd film....

Indeed. Some believe that the mark Jack "left on" Beckett was making him a eunuch.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 09:05 PM
lovethemtigers

Re: Lord Cutler Beckett

Originally posted by Escape81
Any thoughts on this one eeevil scumbag?

I've been racking my brains, pondering, spending sleepless nights trying to figure out how Lord Beckett figures into the plot for Pirates 3 - there are many unresolved issues in Pirates 2. What kind of brand did Jack leave on Cutler Beckett? In what way will Lord Beckett control everyone's destiny by being in possession of the Davy Jones' thump, thump? Why did Liz really chain Jack to the mast? Remember Gov. Swann agrees to give into Lord Beckett's command to save Elizabeth, what role will he play?

And by the way....this is totally off subject, but what about James Norrington. He has tunred into a Pirate. In the first movie Norrington is an upstanding, generally nice guy with high moral standards. He in fact tells Jack that "I serve others." But in Pirates 2 - he takes on more and more Pirate characteristics - and ultimately he outfoxes Jack and Will by running off with the heart and the letter of mark. Norrington is out for himself in this one, just like Jack. Who knows maybe Elizabeth will go back with Norrington, since she is so attracted to Pirates.....Nay, just kidding.....

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 09:43 PM
lovethemtigers is currently offline Click here to Send lovethemtigers a Private Message Find more posts by lovethemtigers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lovethemtigers

Originally posted by LovelyOne
As mentioned by Lovethemtigers

He also sees right through Liz. He suggests to her that she's stealing the letters for Jack and she's like "NO NOT FOR JACK FOR WILL" basically over reacting at the suggestion. He smiles as if he's thinking "oh wake up and smell the coffee!"

He also seems to hint that Liz's robbed wedding is actually fate intervening..(he knows about davy Jones remember) and there is a massive hint in this movie that Will is going to have a similar destiny.

Well, I took the fate intervening statement to mean that it's not her destiny to marry Will. Cuz right after he says...a marriage interupted, (he pauses) or perhaps it's fate intervening, you seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble to ensure Jack Sparrow's freedom"....he is suggesting to her that he has actually saved her from making a mistake and marrying the wrong man....Uhmmmmm

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 09:48 PM
lovethemtigers is currently offline Click here to Send lovethemtigers a Private Message Find more posts by lovethemtigers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Lord Cutler Beckett

Originally posted by lovethemtigers
I've been racking my brains, pondering, spending sleepless nights trying to figure out how Lord Beckett figures into the plot for Pirates 3 - there are many unresolved issues in Pirates 2. What kind of brand did Jack leave on Cutler Beckett? In what way will Lord Beckett control everyone's destiny by being in possession of the Davy Jones' thump, thump? Why did Liz really chain Jack to the mast? Remember Gov. Swann agrees to give into Lord Beckett's command to save Elizabeth, what role will he play?

And by the way....this is totally off subject, but what about James Norrington. He has tunred into a Pirate. In the first movie Norrington is an upstanding, generally nice guy with high moral standards. He in fact tells Jack that "I serve others." But in Pirates 2 - he takes on more and more Pirate characteristics - and ultimately he outfoxes Jack and Will by running off with the heart and the letter of mark. Norrington is out for himself in this one, just like Jack. Who knows maybe Elizabeth will go back with Norrington, since she is so attracted to Pirates.....Nay, just kidding.....

Personally? I think that Cutler will do what he planned to do with the heart. Remember what Gibbs said. If the East India Trading Company controls the heart, then they control the seas - and that spells doom for everyone who is a pirate.

I assume Beckett will amass a fleet to begin to destroy piracy forever.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 10:19 PM
lady_captinjack
johnny's lil pirate

NOOOO way, that would be awful

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 10:21 PM
lady_captinjack is currently offline Click here to Send lady_captinjack a Private Message Find more posts by lady_captinjack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

Originally posted by lovethemtigers
Well, I took the fate intervening statement to mean that it's not her destiny to marry Will. Cuz right after he says...a marriage interupted, (he pauses) or perhaps it's fate intervening, you seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble to ensure Jack Sparrow's freedom"....he is suggesting to her that he has actually saved her from making a mistake and marrying the wrong man....Uhmmmmm

Oh right..I must have got excited and read it wrong earlier lol. But yeh to me its just another clue that Will wont end up with Liz..so thats good. Not because of the Jack/Liz thing..but because its just sooo "been there..done that"

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 11:06 PM
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

I like Beckett. He is so evil looking...and short...I can't wait to see what he's gonna be doing in the next one...

Oh, and that mark Jack left on him..ahhh. I can't wait...

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 02:05 AM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

well gee if our theories are correct i hope they dont actually SHOW the mark.... sick

yeah beckett is a cool bad guy cause he is so like, calm. its wierd. i think he has a crush on lizzie, IMO... along with everyone else in the movie....

and speaking of ugly hair....

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 02:12 AM
thesithlord3

i dont get it. so if he has the heart, he controls davy jones himself and his crew and all that shit? and they say whoever has the heart controls the SEA, but does that mean the whole damn OCEAN?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 03:16 AM
thesithlord3 is currently offline Click here to Send thesithlord3 a Private Message Find more posts by thesithlord3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

gosh i dont know. we have to take this a step at a time. first of all, the kraken may or may not still be alive, depending on Jack.... smile

then, Beckett has to FIND Jones and explain to him he has his heart, and they have to barter. but there is a chance it wont make any difference, because Jones wont care if he lives or dies anymore.

then, would Jones really take out ALL the pirates? seriously. even though he is evil, he is a pirate himself.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 03:20 AM