KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Odysseus Story (especially for LovelyOne)

Odysseus Story (especially for LovelyOne)
Started by: Jacky Sparrow

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jacky Sparrow
Pirate!

Odysseus Story (especially for LovelyOne)

We have talked so much about the history and similiarty to POTC, but never in one thread.

But before I go, something for LovelyOne:

Well yesterday I've seen an old version of Odysseus.
And here are some things that I found interesting!

1) Odysseus gives the crew the order to tie him up to the mast because he wanted to hear the sirens

-> Jack makes no move to escape the ship (after being tied up to the mast) because he wanted to fight the kraken (I mean we all know that he would have stayed even without chaining)

2) When Calypso offer Odysseus immorality, she shows him how bad the death is and suddenly his mother appears to say him that he should go back to his love, meaning Penelope.

-> Well I thought maybe that Jacks father will appear in Davy Jones Locker and tell him the same thing....or exactly like in the original that if Tia offers him immorality then his father will appear.

What do you think?? I really love your analysis of everything!!

Last edited by Jacky Sparrow on Sep 18th, 2006 at 06:33 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 06:31 PM
Jacky Sparrow is currently offline Click here to Send Jacky Sparrow a Private Message Find more posts by Jacky Sparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

YAY thanks!!

I love the similarities..but Calypso isnt the one who shows how bad things are going on with penelope..circe is the one who makes him go to the underworld where he learns how bad things are going.. big grin

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 07:34 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jacky Sparrow
Pirate!

and who is the calypso?

but no matter...I think there'll be a similarity!

Last edited by Jacky Sparrow on Sep 18th, 2006 at 07:50 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 07:40 PM
Jacky Sparrow is currently offline Click here to Send Jacky Sparrow a Private Message Find more posts by Jacky Sparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

yes I agree! Odysseus had to go to the underworld in order to get home and save Penelope

I think that Circe the witch in the Odyssey is supposed to be Tia the witch in PotC. Circe is the one who told Odysseus to chain himself to the mast to face the sirens..this means he could be stronger and feel he could face anything

IMO Tia made that ending happen so that Jack learns to face up to anything

But Tia is also Calypso trapped in a human body with human emotions etc ..Where as Calypso was just Calypso in the Odyssey

So it kinda mixes up a little bit in that respect...IMO the characteristics of Circe the witch andCalypso the sea goddess in the Odyssey have been combined in PotC to make Tia/Calypso who are really one person..where as in the Odyssey they are 2 seperate characters..one was nice and the other was harsh...which actually explains why Tia in human form is actually quite nice for someone who was supposedly so uncontrolable and harsh that they left Davy forever..but when we see Tia transform into her true Calypso self?? I bet she's a nasty little *****

Calypso thought she was making Odysseus desire her all the more by making him her champion..and she offered him immortality and he said no..he wants to get back to Penelope, she underestimated Penelope in the situation

Likewise if Tia/Calypso is actually the one behind all of these events where Jack is learning to become a hero/champion fit to accept immortality when she offerers it to him..Tia/calypso is seriously underestimating Elizabeth in the situation.and Jack wont accept the immortality when its offered to him IMO

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 18th, 2006 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 08:02 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jacky Sparrow
Pirate!

Well, agreed. But what role does his father then play? I thought he will be like Odysseus mother. She was the one to tell him that he should return to his wife. So maybe a wake up moment or something like that!

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 08:21 PM
LovelyOne

He may be actually..thats good thinking..Its only a cameo scene that his dads in..so that may be the reason.

I think Jack's death is also a wakeup moment too..

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 08:38 PM
Jacky Sparrow
Pirate!

yep, that was exactly my thought!

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 08:38 PM
T.Maria
Oh, Spiffing!!

i havea question:

Is calypso the goddess of the sea?

and if there is a calypso character (in the shape of tia in 3?) then what is it that her role will be?

and how does davy fit in with it all???

sorry im just confused with the calypso thing....i have been since i first saw it on here lol

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 09:07 PM
T.Maria is currently offline Click here to Send T.Maria a Private Message Find more posts by T.Maria Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

In The Odyssey she's not given reign over anything. I don't think any other story or myth mentions her, but she lives on a lush, tropical island and spends her days singing and weaving and she and her island are irresistable to the human eye.
For the record, I don't remember who said it, Calypso and Circe are neither completely good or completely evil. Circe turns Odysseus' men into pigs and tries to make him one, yet she gives advice how to defeat the sirens. Calypso won't let go of Odysseus and keeps him on her island for 7 years even though he spends most of his time staring at the ocean crying because he wants to go home. It's until the rest of the gods tell her he has to go back, that she lets him go.
Davy Jones kind of mirrors Poseidon to me. Odysseus' main enemy in the story is Poseidon, the god of the sea. He pissed Poseidon off during the Trojan war and as punishment, Poseidon won't let him go home. He constantly makes the sea rough or sends Odysseus to some island. He does not want Odysseus to go home and be happy. Zeus and the others pretty much have to bargain with him to let it happen. So Davy kind of fits in there. Because in POTC, who really rules the sea? Davy

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 09:14 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.Maria
Oh, Spiffing!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willofthewisp
In The Odyssey she's not given reign over anything. I don't think any other story or myth mentions her, but she lives on a lush, tropical island and spends her days singing and weaving and she and her island are irresistable to the human eye.
For the record, I don't remember who said it, Calypso and Circe are neither completely good or completely evil. Circe turns Odysseus' men into pigs and tries to make him one, yet she gives advice how to defeat the sirens. Calypso won't let go of Odysseus and keeps him on her island for 7 years even though he spends most of his time staring at the ocean crying because he wants to go home. It's until the rest of the gods tell her he has to go back, that she lets him go.
Davy Jones kind of mirrors Poseidon to me. Odysseus' main enemy in the story is Poseidon, the god of the sea. He pissed Poseidon off during the Trojan war and as punishment, Poseidon won't let him go home. He constantly makes the sea rough or sends Odysseus to some island. He does not want Odysseus to go home and be happy. Zeus and the others pretty much have to bargain with him to let it happen. So Davy kind of fits in there. Because in POTC, who really rules the sea? Davy

ahhh right smile Thanks for explaining it! im a little clearer on it now smile

So many theories...so little time to understand them...smile

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 09:19 PM
T.Maria is currently offline Click here to Send T.Maria a Private Message Find more posts by T.Maria Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I found it interesting in class everyone cast Johnny Depp as Odysseus because they thought the story mirrored POTC so well, and then some girl said, "The other guy, the wimpy one, can be Telemachus." That's his son, and she was talking about Orlando Bloom. Without demeaning Will too much, there is a Telemachus thing going on with him.
A whole subplot of The Odyssey is Telemachus growing into a man. He starts at home, just wanting his dad, and goes from kingdom to kingdom trying to learn the truth about what happened to Odysseus. He makes many mentors and gets a visit from Athena who tells him not to lose hope.
Will has so many pirate mentors, Jack, Gibbs, even Barbossa influences him, finally preparing him to meet his father, who has been away from his life for a long, long time. He also kind of finds a father figure in Jack.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 02:46 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

Calypso is a sea nymph..and shes not realy nice she's quite harsh..even to Odysseus..she wont let him leave..so yeah a nymph is like a lower class goddess..

yeah Circe was kinda horrible but she made her allies..and she took a shine to Odysseus and his crew lol

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 19th, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 12:37 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I just feel sorry for both of them. They're both so beautiful and seem to have everything, but they both have to depend on people coming to them, not the other way around. And when a man does come and they take a shine to him, he holds all the cards because they can't mess with his free will enough to make him love them. Odysseus' only girl is Penelope and it depresses them to no end.

So it makes me wonder if Tia will come on to Jack at all. I believe they were lovers, or at least F--- buddies for a time in a casual relationship, so I wonder what kept them apart? Could it be Jack was always holding out for some type of woman he wanted but thought he could never get?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 04:20 PM